Is it ok as a student to rip into your classmates for their work ethic

Ask them nicely if they would like to come with you. If they say yes, baller. If they say no, then ask someone else.

Come on bro, you're not 12. You know better.

I get what you're saying and I'm not even disagreeing. Thats the whole point of why I asked the question, its because I don't know. But part of me just doesn't think it would be a big deal if I were to say one day to my classmates "come on guys, lets step up the intensity. we need to get in better physical shape!". Would that really be that bad?

You've got a ton to worry about before this is even a priority. Like, learning how to pass guard.

practicing passing guard and doing some s & c doesn't have to be a one or the other type of deal. we can do both.

I get what you're saying and I'm not even disagreeing. Thats the whole point of why I asked the question, its because I don't know. But part of me just doesn't think it would be a big deal if I were to say one day to my classmates "come one guys, lets step up the intensity. we need to get in better physical shape!". Would that really be that bad?

I don't know. Try divination. If all else fails, ask yourself that question before you go to sleep, and see what you think about it tomorrow. If you still think it's a good idea, go ahead and do so. Who knows, you may end up leading a s&c class, or maybe no one will care and you'll be left fuming again.

If you want my opinion, the best thing to do is to let people know when and where you will be working out and tell everyone you're looking for gym buddies. Although, as a blue belt, intensity should be the LAST thing you should be thinking about. First, you have to learn how to not get caught in darce's. It takes a lot of time to get a thousand reps of darce escapes done. Better start now!

If you want my opinion, the best thing to do is to let people know when and where you will be working out and tell everyone you're looking for gym buddies.

Thanks, I think I'll follow this advice.

Although, as a blue belt, intensity should be the LAST thing you should be thinking about. First, you have to learn how to not get caught in darce's. It takes a lot of time to get a thousand reps of darce escapes done. Better start now!

Again, I'm not sure why you think that as a blue belt I can't work on my techniques as well as strength and conditioning. Perhaps for you, you don't have enough time in the day to do both, but most of the competition team is young and have plenty of time to do both.

To each his own! Ask your teammates what they think though. More importantly, you should ask your coach. They'll be able to provide you with better answers than I ever could.

Good luck and hope everything turns out for the best!

To each his own! Ask your teammates what they think though. More importantly, you should ask your coach. They'll be able to provide you with better answers than I ever could.

Good luck and hope everything turns out for the best!

Thanks bro, your posts were helpful.

Just chill out. Let people train at their pace. Instead of getting angry at the lazy guys, just concentrate and encourage the guys that are putting the effort.

Yeah I think it is not,really your place to say anything...don't worry about them, keep focusing on your own training

Just chill out. Let people train at their pace. Instead of getting angry at the lazy guys, just concentrate and encourage the guys that are putting the effort.

Yeah I think it is not,really your place to say anything...don't worry about them, keep focusing on your own training

I get what you guys are saying and I wont be confrontational about it. I'll probably just approach it as offering advice rather than "calling them out".

As far as it not being my place to butt in, you guys are probably right. Its just when I see a hole in a teammates' game, I try to help. And if that hole is their work ethic, I think I should be able to help out then as well.
We are a small school and we aren't really a "just worry about yourself " type of team. When there is a tournament or someone has a fight coming up, we"ll dedicate whole days or even the whole week just on preparing the competitors or the single fighter.

It is none of your business, keep your nose out of it. If your instructor does not have a problem with it neither should you. Do you think you are better than your instructor?

By "that guy' do you mean the guy that wants his teammates to be the best they can be.

Who are you to decide what is best for them? Do you know what is going on in their life? Are you the world's most successful man? Are you some enlightened being?
Really just shut up and train.

If you're annoyed enough to want to do something, say something like "C'mon I know you can do one more" or "You got this...."

It is none of your business, keep your nose out of it. If your instructor does not have a problem with it neither should you. Do you think you are better than your instructor?

They are my teammates and we travel to tournaments together and corner each other. I think I have a right to tell them where they need to improve.

Who are you to decide what is best for them? Do you know what is going on in their life? Are you the world's most successful man? Are you some enlightened being?
Really just shut up and train.

I don't need to be the world's most successful man or enlightened to know that one of my teammates has sick technique but gasses out too quickly or doesn't have the strength to escape from bottom side control. Why would I just shut up and train if these are my teammates. We are here to help each other. Not sure if you read the whole thread or not but this was only aimed at the guys who compete, not the hobbyists.

If you're annoyed enough to want to do something, say something like "C'mon I know you can do one more" or "You got this...."

Yeah I think thats the best approach. I don't want to sound like I'm commanding them, just encouraging them.

I think that keeping your mouth shut and beating them when just grappling is an easy way to make them think.
Afterwards if you say that they should be there earlier for drills and whatever to improve their technique and cardio then it comes off as friendly and just a conversation. This then gives them time to tell you why they can't always be there early or why you're right and they should.

You should ask them what their excuse for not training harder is. Then post a thread on here about it too.

yea you would be ,because it's not really any of your concern. If it was their job then and you were their boss then sure, but your not. The circuits and warmups are to help you, so don't worry about them.

I think that is up to your instructor to push them. Are's will not accept people coming late and skipping the warm-up all the time or not drilling hard.

You motivate teammates by positive reinforcement and kind words, not by tearing them a new one.

That might work for the coach or a boss, but you don't do it.

lot of guys at my gym do that too. they show up after the jump roping or warmup/stretching. and its not like they come straight from work, they just are lazy and dont want to do the warmups. i dont say anything really, its not my place to. my instructor is really cool and laid back so he told them to come earlier. after awhile he made the classes to where if you dont come on time you cant come to the class.

some people have legit excuses (work, traffic, family issues) but if thats the case he says to call up to notify the teacher youll be late. i always try to be early anyways, i like to warmup/drill before class. it only helps to be loosened up for class

alright... this is the thing... it sounds as if you want to lead, which is a good thing. The only thing is... it seems as if you're not a "natural" at leading people, which is nothing against you... just an observation. So, when one's not a natural at leading and does not have a leadership style (in your face, vocal, encouraging, etc), then you can always go to the trusty old "lead by example". that's what I think you should do. That way, you don't come off as a douche and your team mates DEFINITELY see your hard work, even if they don't say anything. If they want to step up... they will. If they don't, they won't. Also encourage them and lift them up. People perform up to the expectation you set for them... especially your peers and lower ranks.

Back