Is it ok as a student to rip into your classmates for their work ethic

platfox

Silver Belt
Reaction score
It frustrates me sometimes when guys stroll in late right after warmups, barely drill moves and leave before we do any type of strength and conditioning circuits.

I do realize that some people are in class just as a hobby so I'm not talking about them. I'm referring to the guys who actually compete and don the school gi.

My instructor is pretty laid back and doesn't force guys to push themselves to their max. As a blue belt I would never question a higher belt, but I feel like I sometimes want to lay into to some of the other blues and whites.

Would I be a dick if I got upset every once in a while?

Not your problem.

Just destroy them while rolling and show them why they should be drilling circuits.

^^^ that, its not your place because its not you, now if they're bitching and moaning about not progressing then its fine to be a little irked, but on the whole, its worth more to chuckle than be upset by it. I understand if your instructor is trying to form a highly competitive (national/international caliber) team and you're an assistant instructor or something but meh, don't sweat it.

I've kept my mouth shut up to this point. I have just been suggesting that strength and conditioning can really improve your game. Some have bought into, some haven't. i guess I should take it up with my instructor and let him handle the situation.

just casually bring it up if you feel strongly about it, and if they're you're buddies tell them to stop being so goddamn lazy and train harder

just casually bring it up if you feel strongly about it, and if they're you're buddies tell them to stop being so goddamn lazy and train harder

True. I'm pretty close to most of my teammates, but I don't want to seem like I'm trying to be all alpha male on them. Perhaps I'll bring it up outside of class.

The only time I have a problem with this is when I'm paired up with someone who wants to drill the technique once or twice, then they've "mastered" it....find a good training partner that likes to drill and forget about the others...it's about your progress, not theirs.

It's none of your business. All day at work I pust 700lb Harley-Davidson motorcycles up and down my ramp and on top of that I have to swap out engines and transmissions by hand. Then I'm on the freeway from 5pm to 6:15. So what if I'm late to class and miss the warm ups, at least I show up 5 days a week. So before you rip into your classmates, find out way they have to come late every day.

It frustrates me sometimes when guys stroll in late right after warmups, barely drill moves and leave before we do any type of strength and conditioning circuits.

I do realize that some people are in class just as a hobby so I'm not talking about them. I'm referring to the guys who actually compete and don the school gi.

My instructor is pretty laid back and doesn't force guys to push themselves to their max. As a blue belt I would never question a higher belt, but I feel like I sometimes want to lay into to some of the other blues and whites.

Would I be a dick if I got upset every once in a while?

Yes, you'll be a total dick. And mostly wannabe fighters would do something like that. You're just a hobbyist like the rest of the people that you train with. You'll never be a fighter. If you want more hardcore training, then you're in the wrong class and you need to be training with the real competitive fighters. But I'm pretty sure no fighters want to train with wannabes.

It's none of your business. All day at work I pust 700lb Harley-Davidson motorcycles up and down my ramp and on top of that I have to swap out engines and transmissions by hand. Then I'm on the freeway from 5pm to 6:15. So what if I'm late to class and miss the warm ups, at least I show up 5 days a week. So before you rip into your classmates, find out way they have to come late every day.

Well said! T/S should also check himself. If he offends a classmate that's a gangster, he's screwed! Keep your mouth shut if you're a nobody. Which I'm sure T/S is, a nobody that's a wannabe fighter.

In my opening post I said that I didn't direct my frustrations at all classmates, just some of them. As for someone in your situation, I wouldn't expect you to come in right after a long days worth of physical labor and bust ass.

I started out as a boxer and kickboxer and you couldn't be late for class or even slack a little bit without getting yelled at. I guess thats part of the reason why I feel this way.

I've kept my mouth shut up to this point. I have just been suggesting that strength and conditioning can really improve your game. Some have bought into, some haven't. i guess I should take it up with my instructor and let him handle the situation.

Oh, You're THAT guy.

Well said! T/S should also check himself. If he offends a classmate that's a gangster, he's screwed! Keep your mouth shut if you're a nobody. Which I'm sure T/S is, a nobody that's a wannabe fighter.

You're making quite a few assumptions there buddy. My question was in no way hostile or offensive but for some reason it has really touched a nerve with you.

jiu jitsu class is for jiu jitsu. S&C is extra stuff you do outside class.

Oh, You're THAT guy.

By "that guy' do you mean the guy that wants his teammates to be the best they can be.

Dude, you're a blue belt. Shut up and train.

Again...I'm only referring to the guys who compete. And I also already acknowledged that i was a mere lowly blue belt and thats why I even brought up the question to whether its my place to say anything or not. A simple opinion would be fine, insults aren't necessary.

jiu jitsu class is for jiu jitsu. S&C is extra stuff you do outside class.

I'm obviously not asking them to do s&c during jiu jitsu class. I'd just like them to stay after class every once in a while and do some circuits or maybe hit the gym every once a while.

By "that guy' do you mean the guy that wants his teammates to be the best they can be.

Again...I'm only referring to the guys who compete. And I also already acknowledged that i was a mere lowly blue belt and thats why I even brought up the question to whether its my place to say anything or not. A simple opinion would be fine, insults aren't necessary.

It's not your place. You're there to train. Maybe if and when you start your own team or become a coach you can say something. For now, just relax, and worry about your own hide. You've got a ton to worry about before this is even a priority. Like, learning how to pass guard.

I'm obviously not asking them to do s&c during jiu jitsu class. I'd just like them to stay after class every once in a while and do some circuits or maybe hit the gym every once a while.

Ask them nicely if they would like to come with you. If they say yes, baller. If they say no, then ask someone else.

Come on bro, you're not 12. You know better.

Back