Is it even possible to not have "buttwink" during A2G squats? (form check video!)

Your form is fine. Keep adding weight to the bar.

5 months ago you have a video of you squatting 135. 1 month ago you have a video of you squatting 155. Now you have a video of what looks like 165. I don't know what progression you are following or what your focus is, but you should be able to progress faster than that, ass to grass or not.

However, if your ass to grass form is holding you back from adding more weight (physically or mentally), maybe you should consider widening your stance to cut back your depth. I'm all for deep squats (I absolutely bury mine), but I'm also all for getting stronger.

Or I could be wrong and that's 195 in the video you posted today.

5 months ago you have a video of you squatting 135. 1 month ago you have a video of you squatting 155. Now you have a video of what looks like 165. I don't know what progression you are following or what your focus is, but you should be able to progress faster than that, ass to grass or not.

However, if your ass to grass form is holding you back from adding more weight (physically or mentally), maybe you should consider widening your stance to cut back your depth. I'm all for deep squats (I absolutely bury mine), but I'm also all for getting stronger.

Or I could be wrong and that's 195 in the video you posted today.

My squats have always lagged behind, but I was cutting weight up until a month and a half ago so I stalled on all my lifts really.

I'm not a very strong guy, especially legs. But I'm currently bulking and so I've gone up steadily in bench and deadlift, but squats continue to kick my ass.

For what reason were you cutting? How much do you weigh and how old are you?

You should start a training log.

For what reason were you cutting? How much do you weigh and how old are you?

You should start a training log.

Oh, I do have a training log. And I was cutting just to see if I could do it. Now I'm bulking steadily, on my way to 170lbs (149 now, cut down to ~142, 2 months ago). Like I said my deadlift is progressing great and my bench matches my squat in weight (which I know is weird). I was mainly concerned that it was perhaps my form that's stalled my squats, hence this thread. I dunno. Or my legs are just super weak (which doesn't make that much sense considering I can do 15 pistol squats on each leg lol).

I can squat more than you but can't perform one pistol.

And I meant a training log on here, but whatever floats your boat.

I can squat more than you but can't perform one pistol.

And I meant a training log on here, but whatever floats your boat.

Oh okay. Listen, I'm totally open to conversation. I'm glad you guys are almost challenging me to elaborate on my situation. Perhaps someone can figure out wtf I'm doing wrong (if anything).

Like I said, start a training log on here. It will allow others to see how your training is going.

What toonie said. If we don't know what sets/reps/% you're using then we can't identify programming issues.

Initiate the movement in the knees, not in the hips. This eliminates buut wink when going ATG.

warm up that back and work on thoracic mobility.

Get yourself a rumble roller. Best investment i ever made.

rumble_roller_blue_full.jpg

Last edited:
Initiate the movement in the knees, not in the hips. This eliminates buut wink when going ATG.

If you don't have the necessary flexibility or necessary anthropometrics to perform an "ATG" squat without lumbar rounding, then breaking at the knees is not going to help you.

Can someone help me out here, I dont see a problem in his squat. They look solid to my limited experience.

If you don't have the necessary flexibility or necessary anthropometrics to perform an "ATG" squat without lumbar rounding, then breaking at the knees is not going to help you.

Correct. But proper form is at least a start. Sure he may have horrible thoracic and hip mobility. But leaning the correct way to go ATG is probably the best start. Starting with proper mechanics, and most will say initiate at the hips, wich is simply wrong if you want to go ATG

Correct. But proper form is at least a start. Sure he may have horrible thoracic and hip mobility. But leaning the correct way to go ATG is probably the best start. Starting with proper mechanics, and most will say initiate at the hips, wich is simply wrong if you want to go ATG

Whether I break at the hips of knees makes no difference on how deep I can squat. Just sayin'.

Btw, not being able to do an "ATG" squat doesn't necessarily mean one has horrible thoracic and hip mobility.

Whether I break at the hips of knees makes no difference on how deep I can squat. Just sayin'.

Aren't you more likely to round your lower back/tailbone if you break at the hips rather than either a break at the knee or a break at both?

I can hit the same depth whether I do both too. But my lower back hates me if I try to go as deep as I can while breaking at the hip. My lower back is perfectly fine when I do so while breaking with both.

Back