1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Is it even possible to not have "buttwink" during A2G squats? (form check video!)

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by RogerRabbit, Oct 11, 2013.

1. redaxe Silver Belt

If I were you, I would cut my squats just a little higher and put some more weight on the bar. You'll get stronger that way.

2. rocketskates (Cancel) Culture Club

I can't watch the video on my phone right now but if by buttwink you mean you don't want your ass crack to show then just tuck your shirt into your shorts.

Edit: just watched the vid. As others have said you could do much more weight. That looked like a warmup to me you did it so easily .

3. Cygnus-X Red Belt

Your form is fine, but you could actually cut the depth a little if you don't like the feeling of the buttwink (which isn't that bad). I think what you need is a little more belief in yourself and approach the squat with more bad intentions and put some more weight on the bar.

4. miaou barely keeping it together

Nope.

5. Tosa Red Belt

Well, breaking with the knees first could result in someone sitting back less, which could reduce or eliminate lower back rounding. But it'd make more sense to just sit back a bit less, if that approach even makes sense for a particular individual to try in the first place.

6. toonie Tuesday

Nah, balance. To be fair, I can perform pistols, but I have to hold my foot out in front of me with the opposite hand.

7. MMA Maine-iac Red Belt

[YT]ZQSjIWEhvV0[/YT]

8. JRT6 Black Belt

I'm fighting the butt wink like crazy right now because it's hard to undue 40 hours a week of sitting in a car seat for the last 20 years.

9. RogerRabbit Orange Belt

Interesting.

I gotta say, you guys have given me some great new insight. Thank you all.

Okay, the main reason why I fear the buttwink at the end is that sometimes I feel like it forces me to lose some of the tension in my core. Like, my hips will "drop" out of place, creating less "spring," which may be why I'm not doing as much weight as I probably could.

Maybe I should try forcing myself to stop a few inches in the squat above where I go now.

10. redaxe Silver Belt

What you should feel instead, if you can visualize this, is that instead of your hips dropping out of place, your hips and lumbar spine should stay locked in place but your hamstrings should stretch, giving you some "spring" to rebound back up.

It's kind of like your lower back muscles and your hamstrings are playing tug-of-war on your pelvis. Your low back isn't tight enough, so it's giving in and it's letting your hamstrings win. Your back has to win, at all costs.

If your hamstrings aren't flexible enough and can't stretch enough to do this, the solution is to work on your hamstring flexibility (calf/ankle flexibility too) and cut your squats a little higher in the meantime, until they are flexible enough to go A2G.

11. SGK White Belt

from my understanding it doesn't matter if you have "butt wink" as long as your back is always slightly arched or neutral.

buttwink happens if your back is going from arched to neutral at the bottom but that isn't a bad thing infact I think it's a stupid term.

12. JRT6 Black Belt

If your ass shoots in and your lower back rounds outwards then you have the butt wink, "tail tuck", that needs to be fixed

13. magick Green Belt

No, not really.

Buttwink is the layman's term for describing when you DO lose said arch. Your tailbone curves inward, and along with it goes your lower back arch.

14. SGK White Belt

the tail tuck can happen without your lower back rounding. his back goes from arched to neutral:

another example:

again...what really matters is that your back does not round.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  15. JRT6 Black Belt

You're right from a safety perspective SGK but a tail tuck will limit your strength regardless of a rounding back. Brandon Lilly has a video where he says he has a slight tail tuck in his own squat.