Is it Bad That I don't Understand De La Riva?

I use De La Riva alot, but less now that the IBJJF will no longer allow you to grab the foot with your hand. I like this as a control point, at least when I am first tying up, and without it I don't feel like I can stay as tight.

Didn't have the Gi on today so I couldn't really practice but tried just getting comfortable in the position and trying to work a little from it. Keeping grips was tough and the guy I was practicing with kept effing with my far foot going for ankle locks.

I am a butt scooter in the gym, in tourneys I try to get top position and work from there. I play a lot of butterfly, z guard, and x guard so I'm comfortable in open guard from my butt/back. I am very mobile too while sitting on my butt, which helps my guard. I felt like I lost all mobility in DLR which was uncomfortable.

I use De La Riva alot, but less now that the IBJJF will no longer allow you to grab the foot with your hand. I like this as a control point, at least when I am first tying up, and without it I don't feel like I can stay as tight.

Wait so if I have a hook on your left leg in DLR I can't grab your left foot with my left hand anymore ? Does this apply to RDLR grabbing the inside of the foot? Aren't these very important hand positions/grips for these positions?

Wait so if I have a hook on your left leg in DLR I can't grab your left foot with my left hand anymore ? Does this apply to RDLR grabbing the inside of the foot? Aren't these very important hand positions/grips for these positions?
I'm a bit confused as well, I intend on competing in the Miami open, so i would like to know the details.

Understand it enough to defend against it. It doesn't have to be a part of your game,just learn how it works and what you can do to defend or counter.

I don't use the DLR for the simple reason that if someone stands against me I'll create space and stand up myself, or go for a takedown from the knees - the only guard I play when someone is standing is sitting guard or shin-to-shin sitting guard basically as a transitional stage between being on the ground and standing or shooting. So, I can't say that I know much about DLR either except a few passes/defensive concepts (I'm also a blue belt). I think you could easily become a black belt without ever having played DLR or RDLR, so don't worry about it.

I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but how does this strategy play out vs. guys who don't allow you to sit up? One thing is standing up tall, old school style, and creating a lot of space, but when guys pass like Lovato Jr. or Guilherme Mendes, driving off their toes in a crouching stance with their hips forward, lifting your feet off the mat and bulldozing you over any time you try building a base, it's not gonna be that easy to simply create space and come up on the takedown. Also, guys who pass in this manner are usually VERY savvy back takers, and will capitalize on any over-exposure as you struggle to force the stand-up.

Needless to say, "stand up and take him down" is also not the wisest strategy against someone who is a better wrestler on the feet.

IMO you need to have some sort of guard game vs. a standing opponent, as it's a situation you will find yourself in all the time (more often these days than vs. an opponent on both knees), and counting on being able to get back up - not to mention being the better takedown artist - isn't always realistic. I personally think someone would be doing himself a massive disservice if he didn't at least use RDLR, seeing as it's pretty much essential for knee-cut defense, and probably the easiest highly effective guard position to set up vs. a standing opponent. X-guard is not as easily obtained, but is so damn effective that it should also be used by everyone IMO. The berimbolo/DLR game is less of a 'must', but it's obviously a high reward position, and probably the most dominant counter to an opponent who passes via reverse half guard.

Back