Is Frankie really scheduled to fight Holloway?

I think he is already on par with Faber for most losses in title fights, now he is really going for the record.

Just the threat of Frankie's takedowns will make max more hesitant on the feet, especially considering Frankie will throw out random takedown attempts here and there to keep him honest.

Frankie didn't get any take-downs against cub in his last fight, but the threat of the takedown turned Cubs striking into a non issue.
I think you're giving too much credit to Frankie as opposed to realizing Cub's starting to wane. Don't think he's even ranked at 145 any more is he? Frankie can threaten the take-down all he wants but if the fight doesn't hit the ground Frankie's bloodied head likely will. Max's striking even dealing with the threat of the take down is still miles better than Frankie's. Don't get me wrong Frankie can win this fight and it's likely he's the best credentialed wrestler or failing that best MMA wrestler Max has faced but he's not going to win this fight in the stand up.

That is a possibility. He absorbed an insane amount of damage in his last fight. Plus cutting back to 145 lbs will certainly take a toll.
I'd imagine it's the weight cut that might prove more troubling. He looked good against Poirier albeit undersized and clearly losing the power differential. If Max is healthy Frankie's in a lot of trouble.

How did he get screwed? He can't fight until the fall. So the champ should sit out and wait for a challenger to heal?
Come on man that fight between Frankie and Max was already nigh on finalized prior to the 237 bout. Even if Volk didn't cop that infection and had absolutely starched Aldo Frankie was always getting the next shot. Ali's a cunt but he gets his clients title shots.

I think you're giving too much credit to Frankie as opposed to realizing Cub's starting to wane. Don't think he's even ranked at 145 any more is he? Frankie can threaten the take-down all he wants but if the fight doesn't hit the ground Frankie's bloodied head likely will. Max's striking even dealing with the threat of the take down is still miles better than Frankie's. Don't get me wrong Frankie can win this fight and it's likely he's the best credentialed wrestler or failing that best MMA wrestler Max has faced but he's not going to win this fight in the stand up.

I don't care about Cubs ranking now, I care about what it was when they fought. Also, it's not just cub--other than Aldo and ortega pretty much every body Edgar has ever fought was diminished by the threat of the takedown, including a Hawaiian with arguably better and more proven tdd than Max.
Frankie doesn't need to win the fight in the stand up, he simply needs to keep it reasonably competitive there in order to set up his wrestling, and the opposite is true as well-- his wrestling will set up his strikes. If he has even a little success in one aspect of the game, then it will open up success in the other aspect. Max will have to shut him down everywhere to stop the snowball effect.

Not to mention we've never seen max against a wrestler of Frankie's caliber. That said, Frankie is old and small. Max should be favored.

Last edited:
I'm going to laugh my ass off if Frankie catches Max with a shot like he landed on Mendes or gives him the Yair treatment.

I think he is already on par with Faber for most losses in title fights, now he is really going for the record.
That's a little unreasonable he was also world champion in a weight class where he was extremely undersized.

He’s close to the end so I wouldn’t mind him getting one last shot.

Plus this fight was supposed to happen a while back anyway.

After watching Holloway's fight with Dustin I think Frankie has a chance.

Frankie is all heart gotta respect him but his style of striking is a little bit boring.

Anything is possible when two talented and relentless fighters clash in MMA. But it doesn’t seem likely to me that Frankie will be able to hurt Max. Poirier absolutely put it on Max, landed dozens of harder punches than Edgar has landed in his entire career. Look, Matt Serra knocked out GSP. It can happen. But it’s tough for me to picture.

What about wrestling? Possible for sure, but enough to win three rounds or wear him down enough to stop him? Hard for me to picture, especially now that strikes are being scored more heavily than control.

I think Max will probably beat the shit out of him with pinpoint combinations and relentlessness.

Ridiculous fight. Stupid.

I tend to agree. Even one more good win and I would be fine with it. But running it back against Cub, who is not only clearly past it but was also one of Frankie’s easiest fights the first time? Not great. Not quite Bisping vs Hendo bad, but not great.

After watching Holloway's fight with Dustin I think Frankie has a chance.

Frankie is all heart gotta respect him but his style of striking is a little bit boring.
Please tell me what about that fight leads you to believe Frankie has a chance.

Back