Is Francis Ngannou the UFC HW GOAT?

Is Francis Ngannou the UFC HW GOAT?

• Total voters
He has 2 championships. He isn't even on the level of Timmy and Randy.

There are champions that are literal gold medalists in the other sport they competed in, and it doesn't effect how they are viewed in MMA all-time...

Why would one boxing match have any effect on his mma status ?

Wish it had been 12 rounds to really test both men. It looked like Franky was fading.... but it also looked like Fury was wilting in (I think) round 8, but seemed to bounce back.

I was defending Francis for this fight. A lot.

But no.

A boxing bout doesn't do much for an MMA fighter.

Definitely a cool feather in the cap, tho.

Stipe and Francis have good arguments.

No. Ngannou has not moved up or down from my GOAT list because he's not even on it. A boxing match doesn't change his accomplishments in MMA. I get that people are hyped but calm down.

If we could poll everyone on HW GOAT I do think Francis might get a plurality but is unlikely to ever get a majority especially a large one. Theres a few guys at HW with a GOAT case with strong flaws and I think as time passes people might come to realize Francis's resume has the fewest.

This shouldn't have effected this legacy it's a boxing fight but I think this killed the whole "what a shame Francis left" movement.

Ngannou clearly knocked him out the last time they fought, to win the HW belt

Indeed he did. But, Stipe had the longer reign and fought better comp at the height of his career.

No. Recency bias is real huh.

He's the most powerful UFC HW, but Stipe is the UFC HW GOAT. This boxing match changed nothing.

Ridiculous.. Winning the belt and defending it once by the skin of your teeth makes you a GOAT, eh?

Nobody believes that. But if someone did. There’s clear proof that person knows less than zero about mma.

IMG-5627.jpg

Knocked down and took the guy who is #1 in a different world to the brink of defeat

Where is he all time now?
You’re not serious? This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. People think what Ngannou did in a different sport affects his standing in mma?

That’s not just ridiculous. It’s beyond bizarre. Some of you need real help.

Indeed he did. But, Stipe had the longer reign and fought better comp at the height of his career.

Stipe defended his title more and fought better opponents. Also, they are 1-1.

Ngannou's win over Stipe is more recent, and it's way more decisive.

This is after Ngannou improved on his weakness which was his grappling. Stipe capitalized on takedowns to hold Ngannou down to beat him.

The last time they fought Ngannou knocked him out into retirement.

Also, Ngannou never lost the belt. He had to vacate it in the middle of his reign due to contract reasons.

Ngannou would easily have the new record, especially now that the UFC HW division is paper thin.

Back