Is "Fighting For The Fans" a Stupid Thing Fighters Should Avoid Doing?

bogeyj

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
don't know if it's just me but watching Chandler take unnecessary shots against Gaethje, in a fight he was losing, just to give the fans "a show" left a bad taste in my mouth <{clintugh}>

fuck the fans <3>

all they want to see is blood & violence. they don't care about you and the fact you're accumulating life-altering CTE damage.

fight for yourself, your family, etc.

these savage, degenerate "fans" are the last people you should be fighting for

Last edited:
don't know if it's just me but watching Chandler take unnecessary shots against Gaethje, in a fight he was losing, just to give the fans "a show" just left a bad taste in my mouth <{clintugh}>

fuck the fans <3>

all they want to see is blood & violence. they don't care about you and the fact you're accumulating life-altering CTE damage.

fight for yourself, your family, etc.

these savage, degenerate "fans" are the last people you should be fighting for

Chandler didn't fight for himself. He fought for himself. I'm sure he wanted Justin to overcommit and expose himself to a deeper shot and/or didn't fight smart.

I don't really think there's a such thing as a fighter who really fights for their fans. They don't give a fuck about us. They might fight for bonus money though, or some fighters do happen to fight not very smart at times.

well it depends on what you mean. Fighting for the fans is for example what fighters like Conor and Poirier do.
They fight smart but entertain because they are constantly trying to engage. Fighting in zombie mode, hands down and just throwing haymakers is being stupid. Fighting too conservative is probably good for your health but probably not so good for your wallet as people will not pay
to watch a boring fight

well it depends on what you mean. Fighting for the fans is for example what fighters like Conor and Poirier do.
They fight smart but entertain because they are constantly trying to engage. Fighting in zombie mode, hands down and just throwing haymakers is being stupid. Fighting too conservative is probably good for your health but probably not so good for your wallet as people will not pay
to watch a boring fight

people paid to watch GSP bork1}

^^^exactly this

It's gamesmanship and marketing -- a great way to generate a fan base when you realize a path to the title is not in your skill set.

This sounds like what Jimmy Smith said in nearly every fight he commentated. Everyone needs to slow down and fight safe; being entertaining is bad.

Well that’s the way to get a name, and bigger pay cheques. They’re always fighting for the pay. Excitement gets you paid. And Chandler in particular got signed to a pretty hefty deal (for the UFC). Enough that it pissed off some of the other fighters. Perform or you can get cut off of a single loss.

A lot of people have carved out a good living by being a mediocre fighter with no real shot at belt, but fun as hell to watch. Some people are forced to be entertaining to stick around.

Exactly, like Roy Nelson, apparently a great grappler but fought like a pub brawl usually

Depends how good you are. If GSP went out there to brawl it would be a waste of his talents. But compare the careers of a Clay Guida and any other -good- wrestleboxer. Do you think if Clay fought a safe fight he'd have been resigned when his contract expired off the Miller and Green losses? Nah. Mid-tier guys benefit from putting on fun fights. Even the 2nd/3rd/4th best welterweight at the time Jon Fitch got cut as soon as it got tough because he was so damn boring.

Exactly, like Roy Nelson, apparently a great grappler but fought like a pub brawl usually

Pettis, Lauzon, KZ, the Diaz bros, etc...they've all either stuck around longer or had high profile fights longer than they probably should have because they're fun to watch.

No one does that for the fans. People fight how they want to fight.

This, some fighters benefit for making it a dogfight and it can put them in a good spot with the promoters too.

Chandler is undersized and probably can't wrestle for too long at this point in his career, but he's got power in his hands and grit, why wouldn't he try to make Gaethje expose enough to land a bomb or two? With Justin's sus striking defense it was his best path to victory after trying to take him down (which - he tried. Multiple times).

maybe-not-go-fuck-yourself.gif

Depends how good you are. If GSP went out there to brawl it would be a waste of his talents. But compare the careers of a Clay Guida and any other -good- wrestleboxer. Do you think if Clay fought a safe fight he'd have been resigned when his contract expired off the Miller and Green losses? Nah. Mid-tier guys benefit from putting on fun fights. Even the 2nd/3rd/4th best welterweight at the time Jon Fitch got cut as soon as it got tough because he was so damn boring.
he's not the only one, there are guys who never got over with the fans like francis carmont and lorenz larkin aswell.

Most certainly - Fans are worth shit. Jus look around these boards... Maybe 10% I might consider viable...

Back