Is emanuel newton(master of spinning backfist) underrated??

Newton is a weird one. He looks kinda underwhelming and loses rounds to guys you'd think a champion should be beating pretty handily, and then pulls a victory out of nowhere.

I think it has a lot to do with that his strengths tend to lie in the places a lot of fighters strengths normally don't; Newton doesn't have the most power, or the best striking, or slickest submissions. What makes him kinda tough to beat it seems is his awkward stand up style, his cardio, and his ability to not get discouraged after losing rounds.

That being said, Rootin' for Liam in their upcoming fight.

Last edited:
Yes. He is underrated. I underrate him as well (maybe I'm wrong) because he is in the shadow of UFC big LHW starts (Jones, Cormier, Gus and so on). He would be more reconized in MW because he is a small LHW. He is not a dominant champion watching his fights even he wins.

Not really, he is what he is. He's the same fighter that lost to Ryan Jimmo a few years ago.

He'd struggle against mid-tier UFC guys, like Patrick Cummins, Jimmo himself, Jimi Manuwa. He wouldn't beat anyone in the top 10, IMO.

Dude is one of the best lhw fighters right now
Has great stand up,tdd and solid sub's,great unortodox tehniques and spinning backfist
Notable wins:
Linton vassell sub rd5(underated as well)
King mo x2 ko and dec
Attila vegh split dec5 ( great striker with solid tdd)
Zayats dec3
Latifi dec3
Beltran ko3
Roy broughton sub2
James mcsweeney sub1
Wallace sub2
Djambazov sub2
Dwayne Lewis dec3
Roger hollet dec5
David heath sub2
Solid wins and has great skill set. No doubt in my mind he would beat rampage and tito
His next fight is liam mcgeary undefeated guy that was training with dc for his jones fight. Has great reach,striking and also great sub's. But liam lacks wrestling
Newton should go to ufc to fight lhw elite,cuz he aint getting respect at bellator(from fans)
However even if he stays at bellator there are some good fights for him: tito,sokodjou,houston,vassell rematch or even bonnar fight
Do you think he is underrated or do you think he wouldnt do good in ufc

I think he's def underrated. He can only beat whoever they give him and he keeps finding a way to win fights.

Back