Is emanuel newton(master of spinning backfist) underrated??

Moneymma

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Dude is one of the best lhw fighters right now
Has great stand up,tdd and solid sub's,great unortodox tehniques and spinning backfist
Notable wins:
Linton vassell sub rd5(underated as well)
King mo x2 ko and dec
Attila vegh split dec5 ( great striker with solid tdd)
Zayats dec3
Latifi dec3
Beltran ko3
Roy broughton sub2
James mcsweeney sub1
Wallace sub2
Djambazov sub2
Dwayne Lewis dec3
Roger hollet dec5
David heath sub2
Solid wins and has great skill set. No doubt in my mind he would beat rampage and tito
His next fight is liam mcgeary undefeated guy that was training with dc for his jones fight. Has great reach,striking and also great sub's. But liam lacks wrestling
Newton should go to ufc to fight lhw elite,cuz he aint getting respect at bellator(from fans)
However even if he stays at bellator there are some good fights for him: tito,sokodjou,houston,vassell rematch or even bonnar fight
Do you think he is underrated or do you think he wouldnt do good in ufc

He's an awkward striker like Jardine who because of his style frustrates his opponents and has a chance to beat almost anyone because of it either with points or sneaking in that spinning backfist.

He deserves his championship belt in bellator and the fight with Liam should be a good one. I got Liam but I wouldn't be surprised if Newton wins, I always seem to underestimate him and he keeps surprising me.

He would probably lose a 5 round decision to Ryan Bader. That's the level he is at. Good enough to beat Shogun.

Once a competent striker figures out his shtick, he's not gonna look so good anymore.

Lately, he's managed to look bad and still find a way to win.

Getting beat up by Joey Beltran and struggling with Linton Vassell are not good signs.

Granted, I do think they're both good, especially Vassell, but they're not elite.

He's an awkward striker like Jardine who because of his style frustrates his opponents and has a chance to beat almost anyone because of it either with points or sneaking in that spinning backfist.

He deserves his championship belt in bellator and the fight with Liam should be a good one. I got Liam but I wouldn't be surprised if Newton wins, I always seem to underestimate him and he keeps surprising me.

Vote up, saved me some typing, i agree with pretty much everything. He isnt the best but he optimizes what he has, like a shields. Frustrates people with how awkward he is, that being said hes shown great scramples and solid wrestling. Im rooting for liam but dam.. liam could be in trouble if newton could take him down and outscramble him based on how bad liams tdd was in his last fight.. mcgeary threw multiple subs off his back tho which is a good plus..

Lately, he's managed to look bad and still find a way to win.

Getting beat up by Joey Beltran and struggling with Linton Vassell are not good signs.

Granted, I do think they're both good, especially Vassell, but they're not elite.

True. He still looked decent vs beltran prior to the ko imo. Beltran did pressure him and landed some good shoths. He looked bad vs vassell yes,but like you said he managed to win and not many guys can say they ko'd beltran. I agree with your post ,he still needs to improve

Agree. Dif is he has better chin than jardine,but yes they have that awkward style

He would probably lose a 5 round decision to Ryan Bader. That's the level he is at. Good enough to beat Shogun.

Nice OSP reference. You could be right,imo he beats rampage and maldonado
Dont know how would he do vs davis,rumble,etc. Glover could be good match up for him
Shogun is bad match up for him thou. Shogun looked great vs 100 year old hendo and destroyed te-huna,osp fight was too short to judge about his shape and abilities. He was in descent shape in last couple of fights

His awkward style is extremely annoying to watch, not to mention those spastic celebrations. I'm hoping Liam KOs him brutally.

Unanimously ranked in the top-10. A ton of solid victories. Legit skills. Exciting fights. The fans still act undervalue him and act like he doesn't deserve to be ranked that high and is actually below Jan Blachowicz, Ovince St. Preux and Jimi Manuwa [they also dislike him for weird reasons]. That's all the makings of an underrated fighter, right there.

Also, the Linton Vassel fight was a lot more impressive than people realize. Vassel's got serious grappling skills; there are only a few fighters even in the top-30 of the entire 205-lb division that have better Jiu-Jitsu than him (there's, like, Glover and Nogueira, and then there's the Jiu-Jitsu world champions in Roger Gracie and Vinny Magalhaes, and that's it). He's got alright wrasslin' and his striking's not too great, but his Jiu-Jitsu's top-notch. Emmaneul Newton could've spent the entire match outfighting with Linton and gotten a decision victory, but he didn't. He went right where Linton's strengths were, overcame a ridiculous amount of adversity that would've had most fighters tapping out or losing spirit, and ended up submitting the opponent whom he'd been handily outgrappled by and who had the superior ground skills.

This wasn't just a matter of ignorance on Newton's part. He knew very well that he could've outstruck him and gotten a decision, maybe even a knockout-- his corner even told him to do that right up until the 5th round (when Antonio Mckee finally clued in and started giving him grappling advice). But he wanted to grapple with him. He wanted to submit him, wanted to show people that you can't beat him even where he's (supposedly) at his weakest, wanted to do the break-your-spirit strategy, and he did it. It's a very impressive performance by Newton in that respect.

I think Liam wins; i'm not sure if Newton is underrated or not, I will say that he is one of the hardest fighters to give a proper rating too.

I think Newton, Vassell and McGeary would all be at least top 15 in the UFC.

Harsh...sad that Shogun has become this! Having said that, I did chuckle

Nice OSP reference. You could be right,imo he beats rampage and maldonado
Dont know how would he do vs davis,rumble,etc. Glover could be good match up for him
Shogun is bad match up for him thou. Shogun looked great vs 100 year old hendo and destroyed te-huna,osp fight was too short to judge about his shape and abilities. He was in descent shape in last couple of fights

He beats enough middle tier LHW's to make people think he is Top 10. Him vs Davis just screams boring decision, Rumble beats him. I don't see how Shogun at this stage in his career can beat him. I'm not a fan of Newton and his wack ass style of fighting, but he has got the striking to take a relatively easy decision from Shogun.

IMO he is overrated... he would lose against any top 15 guy. He is about to get beaten to the living deat by Liam.

I'll say yes. Is he fighting Liam next?

Back