Is emanuel newton(master of spinning backfist) underrated??

no, he's rated right about where he should be, unless you have him top 10... then he'd be overrated.

He's definitely underrated. He's a flawed fighter for sure when you compare him to the top guys in the UFC, but he seems to always find a way to win despite those flaws and adversity and he just keeps winning.

no, he's rated right about where he should be, unless you have him top 10... then he'd be overrated.

This.

I think he could make it to the top 5 though... he isn't that old (can still develop his skills a lot) and is a very tough fighter. I hope to see him in the UFC someday.

Think OSP's, Fabio's, Lil Nog, Shogun, Manuwa, thats where he is right now, top 15, around there. Could win some of those fights, maybe lose some. He isnt beating Jones, DC, Gus, Rumble, Bader, Davis, Rashad, Glover. I think OSP and Fabio probably beat him but he can hang with the back end of the top 10 to top 20 LHW.

Liam will be an interesting fight cause Liam hasnt beaten any legit guys yet and has shown he doesnt have good wrestling but he has striking and power.

If he can beat Liam and then maybe Tito his stock will rise.

junkie has him ranked 11th. Not a bad ranking for him.

So he's right there in top 10 range.

Who do you think he beats?

Jones
Gus
DC
Rashad
Rumble
Davis
Glover
Bader
Hendo
OSP
(Newton)
Rampage
Vegh (beat)
Shogun
Lil Nog

top 15

I say he beat/beats 4 SHogun, Lil Nog, Hendo, Vegh, would be decent fights with Rampage/OSP. Toss up fights imo.

Loses to the rest.

I think Newton, Vassell and McGeary would all be at least top 15 in the UFC.

yes,maldonado is top 15.not saying maldonado is bad,but he is 2 hittable and has bad tdd and striking defense.he has great hands(of course)

He beats enough middle tier LHW's to make people think he is Top 10. Him vs Davis just screams boring decision, Rumble beats him. I don't see how Shogun at this stage in his career can beat him. I'm not a fan of Newton and his wack ass style of fighting, but he has got the striking to take a relatively easy decision from Shogun.

SHOGUNs last fight was early stop,it doesnt mean he has bad striking now.he got cought.he was desrtoying hendo and he knocked te-huna out cold.he is not as good as he was,but he is still top 20

IMO he is overrated... he would lose against any top 15 guy. He is about to get beaten to the living deat by Liam.

idk,liam has bad wrestling,but is good at bjj and striking.that reach too. hard fight,but newton can win it

Think OSP's, Fabio's, Lil Nog, Shogun, Manuwa, thats where he is right now, top 15, around there. Could win some of those fights, maybe lose some. He isnt beating Jones, DC, Gus, Rumble, Bader, Davis, Rashad, Glover. I think OSP and Fabio probably beat him but he can hang with the back end of the top 10 to top 20 LHW.

Liam will be an interesting fight cause Liam hasnt beaten any legit guys yet and has shown he doesnt have good wrestling but he has striking and power.

If he can beat Liam and then maybe Tito his stock will rise.

he beats glover imo. i knew glover will lose to davis,he strugles with good kickers(davis has underrated kickboxing).manuwa would be hard fight for him,but he could probably take him down and sub him,fabio is 2 slow and hittable for him.he beats him to a dec win

junkie has him ranked 11th. Not a bad ranking for him.

So he's right there in top 10 range.

Who do you think he beats?

Jones
Gus
DC
Rashad
Rumble
Davis
Glover
Bader
Hendo
OSP
(Newton)
Rampage
Vegh (beat)
Shogun
Lil Nog

top 15

I say he beat/beats 4 SHogun, Lil Nog, Hendo, Vegh, would be decent fights with Rampage/OSP. Toss up fights imo.

Loses to the rest.

i agree. thou i think he beats rampage easily and glover could be good fight 4 him.Nice post

I'd say he's top 12. Not because he's great or anything, but because LHW is terrible. Look at the UFC rankings:

Hendo- can at 205 without TRT

Shogun- DONE. Should retire.

Fabio Maldanado- decent fighter, chin is cracked, Newton would prob beat him.

Lil Nog- Should retire

So LHW is very thin, Newton is definitely at the level of those 4.

he's criminally underrated. It's like what everyone said about RUmble before he came in and destroyed davis. The people he'd have trouble with are the top 6 but he should be a clear favorite over Bader, OSP, shogun, rampage, lil nog, ect.

he's criminally underrated. It's like what everyone said about RUmble before he came in and destroyed davis. The people he'd have trouble with are the top 6 but he should be a clear favorite over Bader, OSP, shogun, rampage, lil nog, ect.

Why would he be a clear fav over Bader?

Lately, he's managed to look bad and still find a way to win.

Getting beat up by Joey Beltran and struggling with Linton Vassell are not good signs.

Granted, I do think they're both good, especially Vassell, but they're not elite.

Came here to say this. He looked lost, tired, and overwhelmed in his last fight.

Came here to say this. He looked lost, tired, and overwhelmed in his last fight.

So lost tired and overwhelmed is escaping every submission attempt and repeatedly taking down a BJJ ace and then submitting said BJJ expect? Out striking him the whole fight as well.

So lost tired and overwhelmed is escaping every submission attempt and repeatedly taking down a BJJ ace and then submitting said BJJ expect? Out striking him the whole fight as well.

umm, taking down a bjj guy isn't really is an accolade.

method=get&s=alistair-overeem-fabricio-werdum-gif.gif

Look at it this way. Lots of guys will take down and shut down their opponents guard games. But being known for escaping subs is like being known for having a great chin, because you get put into danger.

Last edited:
I usually give fighters the benefit of the doubt but I honestly think that Emmanuel Newton sucks. I expect Liam McGeary to dominate in the upcoming title fight.

Back