Is Eddie Alvarez really a better win than Al Iaquinta?

The Blob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So a lot of Conor fans keep parroting lies that Khabib has beat nothing but cans, one of whom he beat for the belt.

But how much better is Eddie than Al? I know that Eddie's had a longer career and a more extensive resume, but in terms of skill level, I feel that Al is a tougher fight for many people. Al isn't nearly as reckless or chinny as Eddie on the feet, and has a solid wrestling background with very good TDD. He is more powerful puncher than Eddie, and is also a bigger guy.

Saying that Eddie is far better because he was a champion is very misleading, as no one ever considered Bisping the best MW. Eddie arguably lost to both Pettis and Melendez (neither of whom were in their prime), so his run to the title was very flukey, and many feel that he is 0-2 against Chandler in Bellator.

I believe Al would knock Eddie out if they fought tomorrow, and that is why I don't understand how Conor's one win at 155 is so lauded, while Khabib's entire resume is denigrated.

Y’all must not really know who Eddie Alvarez is

At the time, he was a champion?

<JagsKiddingMe>
Just because he was a champion doesn't mean he's better. Was Bisping better than Weidman, Jacare, Romero, Whittaker etc. when he was champ?

Plus Pettis and Gilbert both beat Eddie in many people's eyes, and neither of them at that stage in their careers were champion material.

Yes dude.

Chiesa choked Al out cold. He's tough but doesn't scream top 10 talent.

Bud, do you ever consider whether or not you let your bias get the best of your judgement?

So you disregard Eddie being a champ, then say Al is a better fighter than Eddie because in an imaginary scenario Al wins?

<{yahyou}>

Quality stuff

Y’all must not really know who Eddie Alvarez is

Honestly though its moreso who he WAS, still a good fighter but already clearly on the decline by the time he hit the UFC and got wins fighting other big names on the decline in close fights then an upset KO against the champ.

What made him far better than Ali in his prime was being a hell of a lot faster.

Last edited:
So you disregard Eddie being a champ, then say Al is a better fighter than Eddie because in an imaginary scenario Al wins?

<{yahyou}>

Quality stuff
No, one of my other points was that Eddie's UFC run was thoroughly unimpressive and not much better than Al's.

He also got tooled easily by Cerrone, as well as arguably losing to Gil and Pettis.

Al is heavily underrated. Him and Eddie would be a good fight and no I don't think Eddie is significantly better, just more accomplished.

He's been getting slept left and right lately.

Even if Al is more talented. He wasn't an active fighter and made little progess or even maintenance with his skills, while Eddie had been active and kept improving by facing different challenges. So I'd definitely say that the Eddie Conor faced was better than the Al, who was half out of the game, who Khabib faced.

Even if Al is more talented. He wasn't an active fighter and made little progess or even maintenance with his skills, while Eddie had been active and kept improving by facing different challenges. So I'd definitely say that the Eddie Conor faced was better than the Al, who was half out of the game, who Khabib faced.
How has Eddie improved at all since Bellator? The Eddie that finished Aoki is far better than any version of Eddie in the UFC...

No, one of my other points was that Eddie's UFC run was thoroughly unimpressive and not much better than Al's.

He also got tooled easily by Cerrone, as well as arguably losing to Gil and Pettis.
So his run was not much better than Al's but still held the title, yet Al is a better win for Khabib because of your imaginary fight?

{<jordan}

Good stuff man

So a lot of Conor fans keep parroting lies that Khabib has beat nothing but cans, one of whom he beat for the belt.

But how much better is Eddie than Al? I know that Eddie's had a longer career and a more extensive resume, but in terms of skill level, I feel that Al is a tougher fight for many people. Al isn't nearly as reckless or chinny as Eddie on the feet, and has a solid wrestling background with very good TDD. He is more powerful puncher than Eddie, and is also a bigger guy.

Saying that Eddie is far better because he was a champion is very misleading, as no one ever considered Bisping the best MW. Eddie arguably lost to both Pettis and Melendez (neither of whom were in their prime), so his run to the title was very flukey, and many feel that he is 0-2 against Chandler in Bellator.

I believe Al would knock Eddie out if they fought tomorrow, and that is why I don't understand how Conor's one win at 155 is so lauded, while Khabib's entire resume is denigrated.

Conor fans repeat a lot of lies when it comes to Eddie, him being better win than Al isn’t one of them.

Is this a joke???

Al Iaquinta Resume...

upload_2018-9-4_0-36-32.png

You are comparing a borderline top 10 UFC LW, against an MMA legend, who is 1 of the best LW's in MMA history!!

Al beat Kevin Lee, in Kevin's first fight in the UFC, and his other big win, is a split decision over Jorge Masvidal. That is it!! The highlight of his career is fighting in a Title fight, in an incredibly stacked division, where 3 men have a legitimate claim to the Title, without even being ranked in the top 10. That would be the equivalent of Santiago Ponzinibbio, leapfrogging the entire WW division, and fighting Woodley(or even Colby) for the belt!!

VS

web1_ufcfn90gamer_070716bh_6040_6644865.jpg
eddie-alvarez-with-bellator-belt_display_image.jpg

Eddie Alvarez has had to fight Gaethje(undefeated at the time),

Gaethje_.0.jpeg

10201247.jpg

Poirier(current # 4 ranked LW in the UFC),

PoirierPettis.jpg

McGregor(FW Champ),

ufc-con.jpg

RDA(LW Champ),

10133555.jpg

Pettis(1 fight removed from being LW Champ),

full-fight-anthony-pettis-vs-edd.jpg

Pettis lost his belt to RDA. His very next fight was against Alvarez.

Anthony-Pettis-vs-Rafael-dos-Anjos-staredown.jpg

Gilbert Melendez,

melendez-alvarez_medium.jpg

When Alvarez fought Gilbert, Gilbert was 22-4, and had only lost to Pettis...

20140926102012_IMG_8004.JPG

And Benson Henderson in Championship fights, in the previous 6 years.

ufc-on-fox-7-poster.0.jpeg

Donald Cerrone(during a streak in which he won 6 fights in a row in 14 months),

ufc178-2.jpg

and Michael Chandler(undefeated Bellator LW Champ at that time), in a row, in the last 5 years.

10_Michael_Chandler_V_Patricky_Pitbull_9707.0.0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Back