Is Cormier that much better than Mir?

[QUOTE="Rush";78498753]He's not going to be using his GNP.

Most, including me, see it as tough matchup for Mir. Cormier is the better wrestler and striker - he's faster too.[/QUOTE]

yeah, i see cormier relying on speed and timing and keeping the fight standing.

Frank Mir is pretty much fucked every time he is facing a faster striker that can stuff his takedowns.

Cormier is more talented and is improving, I think he'll dominate Mir.

The wrestlers he struggled with had size and strength on him. Carwin and Lesner are giants were DC is not. Skill wise I don't see Frank at a disadvantage standing and definatly not on the ground. Punching power and top control are what Corimer has over Mir, but considering the submission threat Corimer may want to aviod the mat. Lesner overwhelmed Frank with ground and pound, DC hasn't been as viscious.

Of course I'm a Mir fan, but I don't think I'm wrong here. Corimer can land a fight ending punch, but I don't think his striking is better. His wrestling is great, but I think (hope) Frank's submissions counter that.

Mir is that type of fighter...that could win a fight vs Velasquez, or lose by KO/TKO vs a non ranked guy.

He has major weapons but major flaws too. Sometimes he looks like a killer, sometimes he looks like a bum found in a tavern who was given 100 bucks to come fight in the octagon.

Reminds me of Guillard sometimes, you can expect either the best or the worst from those guys.

Can Mir beat Cormier? Absolutely.
Can Cormier destroy Mir and make him look silly? Absolutely.

yeah and he smashed mir.

MirLesnar_display_image.jpg

I like the Cormier vs Mir matchup but I would have rather seen Barnett vs Mir and Cormier vs JDS.

mir has an advantage on the ground with his high level BJJ ,but the problem is unless mir can rock cormier (which no one has been able to do so yet) hes not taking down the olympic claiber wrestler. standup edge probably comes to cormier because mir's chin is in the chuck liddell stage.

The correct answer is, maybe.

That pic doesn't say much,any fighter could and would likely lose if they weren't experienced enough and fought a top fighter, Lesnar smashed Mir in the rematch.

DC is a powerful wrestler with good hands. that combination of skills is always good for mma. to decide where the fight takes place and be able to hold your own in both areas is never a bad thing but i think that mir will school dc off his back. i think dc will be looking to defend the take downs and keep it standing to avoid the jujitsu of mir.

but honestly i think DC's hands are good, but think people look at his hands like they are cain's hands when in reality he doesn't pack the same punch or he doesn't deliver as accurately and as clean as cain. i think mir can out strike DC.

DC is a powerful wrestler with good hands. that combination of skills is always good for mma. to decide where the fight takes place and be able to hold your own in both areas is never a bad thing but i think that mir will school dc off his back. i think dc will be looking to defend the take downs and keep it standing to avoid the jujitsu of mir.

but honestly i think DC's hands are good, but think people look at his hands like they are cain's hands when in reality he doesn't pack the same punch or he doesn't deliver as accurately and as clean as cain. i think mir can out strike DC.

He doesn't pack the same punch? I think he's more powerful puncher then Cain. Cain punched Antonio Silva like 200 times, Cormier decimated him.

I think Cormier picks his shots better than Cain does also. Cain just dumps an avalanche of strikes on his opponents, where Cormier sets up shots and seems more calculated in his attack.

One thing to consider, if Cormier lands flush but doesn't KO Mir, he may have KOd his own hand. Cormier's hands are, apparently, kinda fragile.

Mir's great groundgame was completely nullified by Lesnar?
Yes, yes it was. And that takes skills and work to make a longtime black look useless.

He doesn't pack the same punch? I think he's more powerful puncher then Cain. Cain punched Antonio Silva like 200 times, Cormier decimated him.

I think Cormier picks his shots better than Cain does also. Cain just dumps an avalanche of strikes on his opponents, where Cormier sets up shots and seems more calculated in his attack.

he seems to have the faster hands and he seems to throw with more confidence then cain does. but i think he hurts people because they don't expect his punches/don't see them coming more than his actual power. bigfoot was pretty much out when he hit the floor, and he remains the only legit ko on dc's record (this staring guy isn't legit and got stopped because of his helplessness rather than dc's power numbing him).

while cain tends to out-volume his opponents standing, i think most of both their striking success stems from the very iminent threat of a takedown. while i do not think of daniel as a particularly bad striker, he didn't do anything to overwhelm me either:

bigfoot most probably prepared for a one-dimensional wrestler, and got rocked by lesser strikers like mike kyle before; he's also kind of slow. that plus low hands that expect a takedown goes straight towards being ko'ed.

barnett isn't exactly a good striker either, also he broke his hand early in the fight.

dc tends to have his head way up in the air while dropping his hands during his attacks; if keeping-distance-mir shows up (who will carry an 8' reach advantage into the fight) and manages to move wisely and attack from angles, he is definately capable to hurt him standing.

while i think that mir is by far the most athletic, most versatile and most dangerous opponent dc has faced, i still would bet on cormier if forced to...

Stylistically it's a tough fight but people have gone a bit overboard in regards to Cormier...

Bigfoot has proven himself to be extremely hittable and we really don't know where Barnett stands because of the absolute cupcake schedule of opponents he has fought since losing to Nog in 2006.

Cormier's opponent list outside of those two isn't anything to write home about.

Back