Is Cody the closest thing right know when it comes to boxing in MMA? (but dude lacks fight iq)

3rd post got it right, Cody just like JDS are both good punchers, not boxers.

Last edited:
He is boxing is all hands no defense

Boxing is more than just sharp fast pretty combos, he has zero defense, he always admires his work after he throws thats how he always gets caught and he exchanges and gets wrecked with his chin up

He has good boxing but his defense is horrid and he is trigger happy he needs to be more patient and avoid getting in exchanges and just counter and move his head and tuck his chin, plus stop always admiring your work with your hands down thats how TJ caught him
Fair enough but I'm skeptical how relevant traditional boxing defense even is with wrestling, kicks, clinches and small gloves all in the mix.

But he’s a boxer turned MMA fighter
Just cause he had a boxing fight doesn’t mean he’s a boxer lmao Perry is terrible. He’s got good power and decent limb strikes but his boxing is trash.

I think is Petr Yan, but need to watch more of him.

The way he cuts the distance is pretty impressive, looked like GGG against Dodson.
tumblr_pnhuq8Rl5m1rofocqo3_250.gif

Cody has good hands but there is so much more to boxing than that.

Holloway is the best boxer in MMA.

cody having great boxing is a myth, dude throws like nothing but hooks to the head and nothing else, maybe the occasional 1-2. also has shit defense and shit fight IQ.

he's just extremely fast so his boxing looks better than it really is.

hm maybe my thread title is shit, but I didnt say that his boxing was/is good.

Codys style is super boxing heavy.

I just wanna know whos the closest thing right know.

What boxing? He is the definition of stand and wang it out. He has speed and power but no set-ups, he's anti-boxing if anything.

Cody has good hands but there is so much more to boxing than that.

Holloway is the best boxer in MMA.

codys style is basic TDD + counters + footwork ... i know that boxing is much much more than just "good hands", but i just wanna know whos the closest thing right know.

hm maybe my thread title is shit, but I didnt say that his boxing was/is good.

Codys style is super boxing heavy.

I just wanna know whos the closest thing right know.
yeah i know you weren't saying it was good, i was just giving my opinion on something because everyone seems to think cody has good boxing.

codys style is basic TDD + counters + footwork ... i know that boxing is much much more than just "good hands", but i just wanna know whos the closest thing right know.

I just told you who is.

Cody is not even close and I said what I said because it is preposterous to even use him as the bar when he's not even close.

Garbrandt wrestled in high school, so hard to say

He displayed his wrestling offense and defense to obtain the belt from cruz

If you’re in mma you’re represent mma unless it’s as blatant as James Toney or CroCops first few fights.

Best boxing in the UFC currently..
Is either Cody or Max. But Cody can get emotional and drawn into a brawl, which makes him go far away from his above avg offensive skill set, and his outstanding defense. Max on the other hand, seems to get more comfortable in a brawl, though he can be hit, he tends to roll with the landed punches, and not get hit flush like Cody can get hit when fighting emotional. Yan is another guy who I think he has very good boxing in the UFC, but I would like to see him a few more times, before placing him with Cody and Max. Gastelum also has above avg boxing in MMA.

Garbrandt wrestled in high school, so hard to say

He displayed his wrestling offense and defense to obtain the belt from cruz

If you’re in mma you’re represent mma unless it’s as blatant as James Toney or CroCops first few fights.

dudes style is basic TDD (he only uses his wrestling for TDD 99,99999999999% of the time) + boxing footwork + counters

Codys style is EXTREMLY boxing heavy.

I just wanna know whos the closest thing. Everybody probably has a different opinion, but it would still be interesting to hear what you think.

Last edited:
Best boxing in the UFC currently..
Is either Cody or Max. But Cody can get emotional and drawn into a brawl, which makes him go far away from his above avg offensive skill set, and his outstanding defense. Max on the other hand, seems to get more comfortable in a brawl, though he can be hit, he tends to roll with the landed punches, and not get hit flush like Cody can get hit when fighting emotional.

cody with floyds fight iq = instant champ

"But dude lacks...."

Is anyone else annoyed with the way the word "dude" is used?

Punching =/= boxing

Throwing a counter 2,3 over and over or swanging and banging in the pocket with your eyes closed is not boxing
Leading with the 2 tells me he doesn't know THAT much about boxing.

Codys style is extemly boxing heavy.

Whos the closest thing right know if not Cody?!

Maybe Stipe?
wtf you talking about boxing heavy? yes he uses boxing but there are more intelligent fighters who used boxing in ufc
Rose has better boxing
Valentina has better boxing
and those are just two girls

wtf you talking about boxing heavy? yes he uses boxing but there are more intelligent fighters who used boxing in ufc
Rose has better boxing
Valentina has better boxing
and those are just two girls

i dont care about WMMA (never watched).

I just wanna know whos the closest thing right know (men divison).

imo Cody is a very good example of what a boxers are capable of once they have adjusted to MMA.

Back