Is Caul Uno a UFC Champ?

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
His Wikipedia page says he was a Co-Champ after going to a draw with BJ Penn for the title, but why was this never resolved? Wouldn't it have made sense for a rematch to happen later on to unify the belt? Is this the only time in UFC history where there was technically two champs in a division without the use of Interim belts? This fight and the events surrounding it are some of the strangest anomalies the sport has ever seen and I doubt we'll ever see anything like it again. I still question the legitimacy of Uno's supposed championship, because I can't find any official recognition anywhere. And as a side note, talk about a waste of potential in regards to all these old Lightweight guys like Penn, Pulver, Uno, etc...they could of done so much better if they stuck to fighting guys their own size at FW or BW.

Last edited:
wajutsu FTW!

Penn-Uno-KTFO.gif

Getting beaten up & not giving a fcuk.

I don't think I've ever seen this fight where they went to a draw, I'd be curious to know how good of a fight it was. Whenever I think of Penn/Uno, I think of their first fight where Penn starched him. If that shit happened today, Uno's face at the end would rival Shadface in memes.

edit: yea the post right above mine that was posted at the same time.

Pretty sure this was during the UFC dark ages. Think the LW division was put on ice after that event iirc.

Amazingly enough, I just went through all the fights to see who holds this lineal LW belt that Caol "the Draw" Uno once held so I could make a joke about it and it turns out that it's Eddie Alvarez.

Penn won that fight. It was no draw.

Then Gray Maynard should've been a co-champ when his 2nd fight against Edgar ended in a draw. Juat saying lol

I don't think a draw for a title gives a belt to both men. No champ. Sorry Caol.

I don't think a draw for a title gives a belt to both men. No champ. Sorry Caol.
It wasn't like the Maynard fight where one guy got a title shot against the reigning champ but only got a draw. It was a tournament to crown the new LW champ after Pulver vacated. Uno and Penn made it to the finals and fought but there was no winner, hence the UFC LW tournament Co Champ label came into existence. Very dubious to say the least, and a really unique and bizarre set of circumstances that allowed for this to happen. P4p weirdest way a fighter got a taste of UFC gold.

Penn left after that fight to fight for K1 so a rematch couldn't be booked & interest in the smaller weight classes was dying and eventually the division was scrapped for a while (UFC 49 was the last LW fight) before returning after some promoting of a Pulver/Penn rematch through TUF. Also, There was no BW or FW divisions that were paying as well as UFC/PRIDE back then so a lot of guys who were a head of the pack at that time opt to fight in bigger weight classes to make more money.

Last edited:
Then Gray Maynard should've been a co-champ when his 2nd fight against Edgar ended in a draw. Juat saying lol
It's different because Uno and Penn were fighting for a vacant title. A draw means the champion retains so Edgar is the full champion still.

Amazingly enough, I just went through all the fights to see who holds this lineal LW belt that Caol "the Draw" Uno once held so I could make a joke about it and it turns out that it's Eddie Alvarez.

That's fucking amazing

I remember before this fight one of Uno's tributes was listed as being "Unflappable".

But he was well and truly flapped in about ten seconds by BJ!

Penn-Uno-KTFO.gif

Penn-Uno.gif~c200

Penn won that fight. One of several decisions where BJ officially lost but arguably should have won (Machida, GSP I, Edgar I).

Penn won that fight. One of several decisions where BJ officially lost but arguably should have won (Machida, GSP I, Edgar I).

Lol Aim for the stars!!!

That's some huge bait you're setting out there!

lol. Uno was never a "co-champ"

Don't believe everything you read on wiki.

Wikipedia often has good information but it also often has nonsense too. This is a case of the latter.

Back