is boxing considered as a martial art?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly think it is. I mean, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be.

I wouldn't call it a Martial Art... but i guess it depends on you definition of martial art... To me Boxing is a sport... so is Judo, Muay Thai etc... but they are all combative sports... So the skills can still be used in real combat.. Training for the ring, is different then training for a real fight.... But any serious Martial Artist should look at them all..

I wouldn't call it a Martial Art... but i guess it depends on you definition of martial art... To me Boxing is a sport... so is Judo, Muay Thai etc... but they are all combative sports... So the skills can still be used in real combat.. Training for the ring, is different then training for a real fight.... But any serious Martial Artist should look at them all..

You should research the History of Boxing.

Anything of or relating to systematic physical combat is by definition a Martial Art.

Like i said depends on your definition Martial Art... Its a term used rather losely..
Personally i see Martial Arts as a means of dealing with conflict, by finding yourself... that is by combining both mind and body.... To express yourself in a physical form... Anything with rules, regulations, etc... no matter how close they may resemble real conflict... they are not... they are sports.... But the term boxing is also used fairly losely.. there are different types from different countries.. some call some versions of Wushu, "Chinese Boxing"
Refering to Western Boxing we see today, i call it a sport.. you have two parties competeing within the rules of the game...
I'm not saying punching and skills that you see in Boxing training, can't be used in real combat..

King Kabuki said:

Anything of or relating to systematic physical combat is by definition a Martial Art.

So according to jk_08, MMA is really not MMA at all!!!

King Kabuki said:

more or less what i was going to say

Exactly... Its a sport, drawing on skills from a mixture of martial arts...

Cardio said:
So according to jk_08, MMA is really not MMA at all!!!

I don't think Joe Average considers boxing a martial art since I think "martial arts" tends to conjure up images of guys in some form of native costume kicking and throwing each other. But by any reasonable definition it is, obviously. A skilled boxer can wreck someone just as quickly and brutally as someone who's a black belt.

For that matter, technically wrestling, fencing, and archery are martial arts.

You can't draw a line between "sports" and "martial arts." A martial art is just a system (i.e. art) of combat that you train. That sport-competition is part of the training system doesn't make it any less martial. Obviously the training for combat can't consist entirely of combat -- though the closer the better.

TKD is thus a martial art for example, despite having almost no connection with combat in the training, because despite its sport aspects, it is ultimately supposed to be a means of combat.

So yes, boxing is a martial art, not just a sport. Boxing is training to be a fighter, not a regular sportsman. Any genuine boxing training is all about fighting, and that is why the participants are called fighters.

I'ts proper name is the "sweet science"

Personally i see Martial Arts as a means of dealing with conflict, by finding yourself... that is by combining both mind and body.... To express yourself in a physical form... Anything with rules, regulations, etc... no matter how close they may resemble real conflict... they are not... they are sports.... But the term boxing is also used fairly losely.. there are different types from different countries.. some call some versions of Wushu, "Chinese Boxing"
Refering to Western Boxing we see today, i call it a sport.. you have two parties competeing within the rules of the game...

You should also research the definition of the word "Sport".

Western Boxing as we see it today is not cancelled out as a Martial Art because of the competition aspect of it. If this were the case than every single Martial Art basically would no longer constitute being a Martial Art for the simple fact that to develope skills in a non-life-or-death setting most Arts and their practitioners formed systems of competing against one-another on a basis of win or lose as opposed to live or die. This is Sport. It's simply a means to test one's aptitude, knowledge, perception, of the Art in-question, not to re-define said Art.

Boxing is not re-defined because the competition aspect, the Sport aspect has become Globally popular. It does not detract anything from Boxing's effectiveness in real combat situations. Nor does it take away from the aesthetics of the practice. When done properly Boxing can be as cathartic as any other practice, as spiritually and mentally disciplining.

The argument that it does not qualify as a Martial Art simply does not exist, not by any perception of what Boxing or Martial Arts actually are.

When i'm talking about boxing, i'm refering to the competition aspect of it, and that alone... I don't mean punching training is not part of a martial arts.. i personaly think that western boxing training, is one of the best ways of developing your punches.. Punching definately being part of Martial Arts...And by that i mean even competing in boxing competition...
But i just see the competition side of things, as not a martial art.. simply becasue the training for competition is different to the training for real combat... There are things you can do in a boxing ring to optimise your performance, that you just don't do in real combat... Same for Judo, Fencing, TKD etc...
In fencing you see a lot of double blows, where both people 'stab' each other at nearly the same time... Something that would be too risky to do with real swords...
Again i'm only refering to the competition side of things...
Real sword play, is definately a Martial Art...
In Taekwondo, the guys who train TKD to go to the Olympics, train to optimise there performance in the ring... They don't practise kicks to the groin, which you do in the Martial Art side of the training... I'm not saying that Taekwondo is not a martial art, just because of the competition aspect, just, that if your training for the competition aspect alone, you are not training in martial arts, you are training for a competition, and that competition i call a sport, same for boxing... and even same for NHB competition...

King Kabuki said:
You should also research the definition of the word "Sport".

Western Boxing as we see it today is not cancelled out as a Martial Art because of the competition aspect of it. If this were the case than every single Martial Art basically would no longer constitute being a Martial Art for the simple fact that to develope skills in a non-life-or-death setting most Arts and their practitioners formed systems of competing against one-another on a basis of win or lose as opposed to live or die. This is Sport. It's simply a means to test one's aptitude, knowledge, perception, of the Art in-question, not to re-define said Art.

Boxing is not re-defined because the competition aspect, the Sport aspect has become Globally popular. It does not detract anything from Boxing's effectiveness in real combat situations. Nor does it take away from the aesthetics of the practice. When done properly Boxing can be as cathartic as any other practice, as spiritually and mentally disciplining.

The argument that it does not qualify as a Martial Art simply does not exist, not by any perception of what Boxing or Martial Arts actually are.

martial = warlike
art = system of doing something, or a way of expression

therefore boxing is a martial art

JK, I believe boxing develops the mind and body, but Cus D'Amato isn't going to sit you out under a waterfall.

That's what appeals to me.

I think most westerners don't perceive boxing as a martial art, since we wrongly attribute the "oriental mystique" to that category, but like everyone here is saying, by any definition of the words, boxing has to be included.

When i'm talking about boxing, i'm refering to the competition aspect of it, and that alone... I don't mean punching training is not part of a martial arts.. i personaly think that western boxing training, is one of the best ways of developing your punches.. Punching definately being part of Martial Arts...And by that i mean even competing in boxing competition...
But i just see the competition side of things, as not a martial art.. simply becasue the training for competition is different to the training for real combat... There are things you can do in a boxing ring to optimise your performance, that you just don't do in real combat... Same for Judo, Fencing, TKD etc...
In fencing you see a lot of double blows, where both people 'stab' each other at nearly the same time... Something that would be too risky to do with real swords...
Again i'm only refering to the competition side of things...
Real sword play, is definately a Martial Art...
In Taekwondo, the guys who train TKD to go to the Olympics, train to optimise there performance in the ring... They don't practise kicks to the groin, which you do in the Martial Art side of the training... I'm not saying that Taekwondo is not a martial art, just because of the competition aspect, just, that if your training for the competition aspect alone, you are not training in martial arts, you are training for a competition, and that competition i call a sport, same for boxing... and even same for NHB competition...

Yes Tae Kwon Do and Boxing are Martial Arts. What I'm getting at is the reasons you're stating do not apply. And if you don't think that training even for the Sport aspect of the both of them don't condition a person to be able to handle real combat greater than many other practices then you should compete for a while and see what happens the next time someone fucks with you in the streets.

You're taking an idea and attempting to associate it in a way where it unnecessarily changes the perception of viable Martial Arts. Competition, is another form of training. Nothing more. So therefore competition is included in training and not seperated as the Ultimate Goal of each Art. They can be if a person is pretty pacifistic. But most people begin taking both TKD and Boxing to be able to defend themselves, not to fight in a ring or on a platform. Boxing ring-savvy makes a person awareof their environment, which translates well into the real world. Fencing's double-strikes actually happen more than you think in the real World risky or no. Meet guys who knife-fight or practice Kali. The first thin they'll tell you is EXPECT to be cut or stabbed, because rarely does anyone walk away unscathed. And just because TKD guys don't go for the groin in competition doesn't mean they don't train it, and also they actually do end up striking the groin, I have video tape to prove that.

The Sport aspect of a practice simply doesn't detract from whether or not something qualifies as a Martial Art, I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back