Is BJ Penn the only top BJJ guy with awesome striking

ufc70_10_gonzaga_vs_crocop_007.jpg

quality post, made me lol.

Jeff monson for sure. With his reach, speed and cardio, i can't believe he never took a shot at k-1.

Machida has a black belt in Jits too..... Better striker than most of the fighters in UFC. I'd bet my left nut he'd outstrike Rory Macdonald, Penn, and The Diaz sisters anyday.

I think there is a sweet spot for transitioning from BJJ or wrestling into MMA. It's not the guys who won the biggest trophies in their respective sports, who end up beeing the most successful in MMA. It's the guys who are still young and able to pic up the other skills in time. Once you are a multiple time mundial champion, ADCC Champion or Olympic gold medalist, you're probably already a bit to old and to specialized.

Usually, all the top Jiu jitsu guys don't have good striking, when i said top BJJ is like people who highlighted in competitions like the ADCC or the World championship.

A lot of top wrestlers have awesome striking game, like Jones and GSP, but in BJJ guy, Penn in the only one i can think.

You could make a point about Aldo, but we havent seen so much of his Jiu jitsu excluding the rumor that he finished Cobrinha.

You must be trolling, surely. GSP is not a natural wrester, and to compare Jones' wrestling credentials to ADCC or/and World championship BJJ tournaments can't be considered anything other than laughable :icon_lol:

You must be trolling, surely. GSP is not a natural wrester, and to compare Jones' wrestling credentials to ADCC or/and World championship BJJ tournaments can't be considered anything other than laughable :icon_lol:

fakk you brah!!1!

BONES suplexd bonar!!@ jewco elitee!!!!

:eek:

Jose Aldo is my answer to the topic. A BJJ world champion at brown belt that has great striking.

But my question is, what is the wrestling equivalent to a BJJ world championship at black belt? Olympic gold is bigger because it's only once every two years, while the Mundials take place every year. But I guess it's the only thing comparable.

While winning the world cup at brown belt is impressive, I don't think it puts Aldo in the class of elite BJJ competitor that TS contemplates. Actually, most of the names that people have listed aren't elite level BJJ competitors. And even for the elite BJJ competitors that have been mentioned in this thread, such as Werdum and Jacare, saying that they have "awesome striking" is a bit of a stretch.

Penn is pretty one of a kind in this respect. The reality is that most elite BJJ guys have subpar striking, can't take a punch, and aren't overly athletic/dynamic. I'm a BJJ guy myself, but the truth is that most BJJ competitors don't acclimate well to the striking game -- certainly not as well as many wrestlers do.

I would say frank Mir his striking isn't amazing but it is well above standard.

I'm surprised u posted without reading...plenty of people have mentioned Belfort..you gotta read past the first page bro

I did, but it seemed like after the first 6 pages it was all talks of Penn being overrated and Diaz and bs. Didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel if you know what I mean, haha!

Aldo decisioned Cobrinha, he didn't finish him.

Dos Anjos has developed excellent striking.

lol@Diaz bros having awesome striking

to get to where they are, and with nick beating so many strikers, its safe to say they have great standup for bjj guys.

what striking art do you practice

maybe not k1 striking, but whats k1 when overeem can be champ after getting ko'd by chuck, shogun, and many more.

BJ only has awesome striking against individuals with poor striking.

Maybe you should look at BJ's record, before making comments that make you look like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Werdum and Souza, for me, are the top two jits guys who's striking has improved and is getting more refined, technical, and effective in each fight.

Usually, all the top Jiu jitsu guys don't have good striking, when i said top BJJ is like people who highlighted in competitions like the ADCC or the World championship.

A lot of top wrestlers have awesome striking game, like Jones and GSP, but in BJJ guy, Penn in the only one i can think.

You could make a point about Aldo, but we havent seen so much of his Jiu jitsu excluding the rumor that he finished Cobrinha.

Lol so Aldo does not use his bjj but Penn does? The only BJJ Penn has used as of late is defensive.... When was the last time Penn even submitted a guy in a mma match let alone a BJJ tourney?? And you consider him a top BJJ guy? Man Penn nuthuggers are the best fans out there... No other fighter has such a loyal following.. I have no clue how he made you guys believe his shit don't stink.......

Oh and Bret Favre is a top 5 QB in the NFL...............

Lol so Aldo does not use his bjj but Penn does? The only BJJ Penn has used as of late is defensive.... When was the last time Penn even submitted a guy in a mma match let alone a BJJ tourney?? And you consider him a top BJJ guy? Man Penn nuthuggers are the best fans out there... No other fighter has such a loyal following.. I have no clue how he made you guys believe his shit don't stink.......

Oh and Bret Favre is a top 5 QB in the NFL...............

I think people are referring to BJ's career as a whole, which was an impressive one with numerous submission finishes and some fantastic ground work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back