Is BJ Penn the only top BJJ guy with awesome striking

lol @ bj having top striking lolz it looked like it didnt it lol

When you add a string of fucking conditions, the answer is obvious.

So if you're limiting yourself to BJJ champions - then guess fucking what, its only BJ.

Next thread, you gonna ask "Is Anderson Silva the only Brazilian at middleweight who has the longest win streak in UFC history?"

Actually, Vitor is a better answer.

" like people who highlighted in competitions like the ADCC or the World championship"

Bronze Medal 2001 ADCC, absolute division. Much better striking than BJ.

I think this is a better fit to the question than Overeem's European qualifier win (even though head-to-head Overeem outstruck and outgrappled Vitor).

I know this is about 14 pages too late but in comp, actually in ADCC I believe, Nick subbed Jorge Patino who has done this in the 195 pound weight limit.

2x Pan American Champion (2000 – closed the brackets with his team mate Roberto Godoi, 2001);
Pan American Silver Medallist (1997 – brown belt);
Brazilian National Bronze Medallist (2000)

I must mention BJJ has gotten better since BJ was competing and Nick has never competed in BJJ full time like BJ.
After BJ made the switch over to MMA his BJJ hasn't been as great, still great either way though.

Nick submission game is sick, to think otherwise is ignorant.

Actually, Vitor is a better answer.

" like people who highlighted in competitions like the ADCC or the World championship"

Bronze Medal 2001 ADCC, absolute division. Much better striking than BJ.

I think this is a better fit to the question than Overeem's European qualifier win (even though head-to-head Overeem outstruck and outgrappled Vitor).

Also because Overeem was already a kickboxer before he started mma, and he did adcc as part of his mma cross-training progression. He fought in PRIDE as a "kickboxer", while Vitor fought as "BJJ" in his early UFC fights.

I'm a huge BJ fan but you can't really say he has awesome striking anymore. His last fight proved that a boxing only model isn't going to work against a fighter who varies his striking.

Slaloming around the obvious troll traps, by mentioning that Werdums striking is really getting up there. Bogus black belt in muay thai aside, he really obliterated Nelson - which isn't easy to do - and held his own against Overeem.

Agree with Werdum. His pwning of gonzaga with knees n shit first opened my eyes. Hes hardcore.

I'm a huge BJ fan but you can't really say he has awesome striking anymore. His last fight proved that a boxing only model isn't going to work against a fighter who varies his striking.

I dunno. Rory also has range and size in addition to being VERY good. He isnt the first guy to try a varied attack on BJ. BJ is an awesome striker.

BJ has good boxing but he never evolved to use anything else. Just look at his fight against Rory. BJ uses a few punching combinations and gets countered by punches, knees and kicks.

I dunno. Rory also has range and size in addition to being VERY good. He isnt the first guy to try a varied attack on BJ. BJ is an awesome striker.

BJ was an awesome striker, like CC was an awesome striker. Even shogun, who is still good but not amongst the elite anymore. Age and damage catches up to everyone.

I think i prefer elite to awesome, thats just the wrong word

Back