Is Askren and Woodley the most unlikely friendship in MMA history

Tyron grew up in the hood, used to gangbang and just had a really rough upbringing in general

Askren... I mean cmon he couldve been your high school history teacher if he wasnt such a stud wrestler

D315fj0WkAEMLzF.jpg

but these 2 are like best buds and Woodley will be in his corner against Jake Paul too. If they starred in a buddy cop movie it might be too unrealistic lol

005_Ben_Askren_and_Tyron_Woodley.jpg
Tyron been banging? Didn't know that. I really don't get that vibe from him

Not MMA but snoop Dog and Martha Stewart still has me scratching my head

King of pot smokers along with the ultimate Karen... just bizarre

One has aspergers and the other is from the hood. An unlikely friendship that works on many levels.

I don't think there are unlikely friendships. People can just hit it off no matter their background. Where you're from should have zero to do with who you can associate with.I can speak on this as my 2 best friends aren't from the US. One is eastern European and the other is from an island in the Caribbean. At least Ben and Tyron are from the same country and grew up speaking the same language. Sometimes family comes from unexpected places.

Hey , if Tom Morrell and Ted Nugent can be friends, anybody can.

I must surely be missing something obvious

but....why specifically is it so crazy they are friends.............?

been pondering it for several minutes and I just genuinely got nothin

They both wrestled at Missouri and are teammates at the same gym...other than one being black and the other being white why wouldn’t they be close friends when they actually have more in common than what you’re willing to acknowledge. You’re making this very difficult to not assume you’re basing this entirely on race.

Regardless of the friendship, if I were Ben I'd rather have a better boxer in my corner. The only thing Tyron has going for him are heavy hands...his overall boxing game and strategy (keep your back against the cage/ropes and hope for a KO) won't help Ben at all.

Nothing weird about two dudes who wrestled together and trained together for years being friends.

Don't understand this thread tbh

Despite what media tells you, a lot of adult friend groups are ethnically mixed. At least here in Vegas.

Is this even true?

Hes said it multiple times in interviews now

“Certain athletes, they show the UFC, to the fans, that they are marketable,” Woodley said. “What happens is, the UFC gets behind them. They start to push them. I’m a husband, I’m a father of four, I’m a gym owner. I’m an actor. I’m an analyst. I’m a stuntman. I’m a Christian. Every avenue you can take me, I’ve got it. I grew up in the projects. I grew up in gangbanging. Family of 14 in a four-family house and I made a choice to be successful. What is there not to market? I’m fighting like hell. I’m not doing performance-enhancing drugs in my life. ... Why would they not want to market me?”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/...hes-the-worst-treated-champion-in-ufc-history

“Sometimes, in the past, I had to recognize that I didn’t run the organization, whether I thought they should have promoted me in a certain way or did certain things, they’ve got 600 athletes to think about,” he said. “It wasn’t always about me. I may have figured that out a little too late in the game, but at the time, I never really trusted a lot of people. I grew up in the street, I grew up gang-banging, and trust and respect is earned. My head is always on the swivel. I live in the murder capital of the country, and I move a certain way."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/3/...ing-is-not-an-option-ive-got-to-go-out-on-top

Hes said it multiple times in interviews now

“Certain athletes, they show the UFC, to the fans, that they are marketable,” Woodley said. “What happens is, the UFC gets behind them. They start to push them. I’m a husband, I’m a father of four, I’m a gym owner. I’m an actor. I’m an analyst. I’m a stuntman. I’m a Christian. Every avenue you can take me, I’ve got it. I grew up in the projects. I grew up in gangbanging. Family of 14 in a four-family house and I made a choice to be successful. What is there not to market? I’m fighting like hell. I’m not doing performance-enhancing drugs in my life. ... Why would they not want to market me?”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/...hes-the-worst-treated-champion-in-ufc-history

“Sometimes, in the past, I had to recognize that I didn’t run the organization, whether I thought they should have promoted me in a certain way or did certain things, they’ve got 600 athletes to think about,” he said. “It wasn’t always about me. I may have figured that out a little too late in the game, but at the time, I never really trusted a lot of people. I grew up in the street, I grew up gang-banging, and trust and respect is earned. My head is always on the swivel. I live in the murder capital of the country, and I move a certain way."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/3/...ing-is-not-an-option-ive-got-to-go-out-on-top

Just because he said he was gangbanger doesn't mean he was. He also says he's a Christian but I've never once heard him in an interview share the good news of the gospel, which is what he is called to do as a Christian.

People lie all the time for clout

Just because he said he was gangbanger doesn't mean he was. He also says he's a Christian but I've never once heard him in an interview share the good news of the gospel, which is what he is called to do as a Christian.

People lie all the time for clout
Being in a gang isn't hard? Just literally be poor and a minority and there is a good chance you'll end up in a gang. I was in a gang when I was younger, but i've been in the corporate world for decades and nobody would ever know.

Roy Nelson and Bigfoot Silva were supposedly good friends. I'd say that's more unusual. They're from different countries/cultures and don't even share the same primary language. And they don't have a common bond like wrestling at the same school. Chael and Okami are similar. I think they became friends after their fight and started training together. I believe Okami even lived at Chael's house at one point.

Back