Is Alexis Davis an actual threat?

Carano was a former Muay Thai Champion. If she can keep it on the feet, she would give Rousey trouble. My point is that styles make fights. A superior striker is the only type of person that will take out Rousey, not an overall balanced MMA fighter.

I think it is much more likely that Ronda gets Carano or Holm down before they land anything meaningful. Sure, they have a puncher's chance, but that is about it.

To beat Ronda, I think you will either have to stop her takedowns, which I don't see neither Carano nor Holm doing, or you have to be able to negate her grappling on the ground.

That was said of McMann before they fought.

Personally, I've thought for a while that they both were potentially her toughest future opponents (said it back in Strikeforce even). McMann seemed to have the best chance at keeping the fight standing. From there, it never seemed like Ronda had a huge advantage. I don't remember anyone saying Ronda was some amazing striker compared to McMann. I don't recall anyone predicting Ronda would TKO her the way she did. So the question was always whether or not she could get her down and what if she couldn't?

With Davis, again, Ronda never looked to be leaps and bounds above any of the other girls in the striking department. It was never a question with Davis whether or not she could prevent Ronda from getting her down, it was what happens when the fight hits the floor. Davis is a very good grappler. Is Ronda's subs better than her sub defense? Is Ronda's sub defense (something we haven't had to see much of) better than her subs?

With all most/all of Ronda's other opponents or potential opponents, there has never really been much of a question about whether or not she could get them to the ground or whether or not she could sub them when she got there. For most, it's yes on both accounts. For both McMann and Davis, at least for me, there were some questions there.

Now, of course Cyborg is a different story. She isn't a bantamweight. At least, not yet. So while we can talk about whether or not she is the toughest opponent or not, it is really moot since she doesn't fight at that weight, and if she did make weight, how would it effect her game? But as far as opponents who are currently more realistic for Ronda, I think Davis is her toughest test. I still have some questions about Ronda and McMann. I learned some stuff from that fight, but some of my questions are still there.

Especially when it's not exactly intimidating to get hit by a 135 pound woman. I like WMMA but that's kind of an issue when there's really not much to fear rushing in.

The women might not be able to hit like men, but if they are fighting other women, do they need to hit like men?

That is like the men's flyweight division. When they first came to the UFC there was this myth that their striking wasn't dangerous and they couldn't finish fights. I would like to think that was debunked long ago. If 125 pound men can hurt other 125 pound men, why can't 135 pound women hurt other 135 pound women? The answer is they can.

Well Ronda would beat Cain and Floyd so what chance could anyone POSSIBLY think this random chick has.

Carano was a former Muay Thai Champion. If she can keep it on the feet, she would give Rousey trouble. My point is that styles make fights. A superior striker is the only type of person that will take out Rousey, not an overall balanced MMA fighter.

She also hasn't fought or trained seriously in five years and routinely struggled to make weight at a more forgiving class. No thanks.

But I do agree with you on that last line.

Back