Is Alexis Davis an actual threat?

Nope. Davis is pretty good everywhere, but she doesn't have the skills to actually stop Ronda.
And I doubt she can outpoint her for five rounds.

I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

There is not a woman that can make 135 that can keep Rousey on the outside. Rousey will get the clinch.

It will take another elite grappler to beat Rousey. Strikers have never given her any real trouble. Think back to the one fight that she was in any danger.

It would be harder for an elite grappler to take out Rousey because she is too slick in the clinch and on the ground. If an elite striker can keep her completely at bay and avoid going to the ground (like Cro Cop in his Pride days), that's the best way to take her out. Everyone stands a punchers chance and if an elite striker can land one of their big shots, we'll see how Rousey can handle herself after getting rocked. No one has landed a shot on her like that yet and it would be interesting to see what happens.

It would be harder for an elite grappler to take out Rousey because she is too slick in the clinch and on the ground. If an elite striker can keep her completely at bay and avoid going to the ground (like Cro Cop in his Pride days), that's the best way to take her out. Everyone stands a punchers chance and if an elite striker can land one of their big shots, we'll see how Rousey can handle herself after getting rocked. No one has landed a shot on her like that yet and it would be interesting to see what happens.

"If an elite striker can keep her completely at bay"

That is NOT possible.

NOT against Rousey. She is Judoka with a 4th degree black belt and an Olympic medal. Also, the major focus of her boxing training for MMA is to get into the clinch.

Rousey has a chin. She can take a punch. It is far more common in WWMA for the women to get a knock out with cummulative concussive strikes over several minutes or rounds. Rarely, but it does happen, do we see the one punch knock out.

Rousey would have to be knocked out in the opening exchange.

The most danger that Rousey has been in is when Liz Carmouche got her back and Liz is NOT a accomplished and credentialed elite grappler.

She did not even go to the ground with McMann. That was not the gameplan. She did attempt a throw, but I kinda think that she only used McMann's defense to a potential throw to land another really good knee.

If Ronda ever loses, it will be by an elite grappler that got the better of her on that day. Right now, I don't see one that can.

Holly Holm is a very impressive striker, yet she doesn't stand much of chance. A head kick or flying knee, in the opening exchange is her best chance of winning. She is not going ot knock her out with her hands.

I think she's capable of surviving a couple of rounds, like Tate did. Just not sure she can mount much offense of her own.

No. Look at how she lost to twice already and what Ronda did to that person.

It's a title fight against an established dominant champ. I don't think she's much of a threat, but not really any less so than Dillashaw (or Assuncao for that matter) or Bagautinov, or perhaps even Mendes or Werdum.

I think the strength and conditioning gap, as well as Ronda's improved clinch striking, will be rather insurmountable, but there are things to give us hope that this might be a better fight. Davis is the best submission grappler Ronda has faced, and Ronda showed a worrisome tendency to give up position against Tate and Carmouche. Carmouche almost made something of it, and Alexis Davis definitely has better submissions. She's also the one who's going to defend that armbar and drag Ronda into deep waters, if anyone is.

Davis is the most deserving opponent Ronda will have had in the UFC, and is the best submission grappler of the group. She will very likely lose, but she's more of a threat than Tate or Carmouche were.

davis won't be much of a threat to rousey regardless if davis is a black belt in bjj. the likely scenario is if davis doesn't get arm barred in the first round, the fight will likely be similar to rousey vs tate in ufc 168.

davis would survive into the next round while she takes punishment from rousey until rousey is eventually able to apply the juji gatame or gets a technical knock out on davis.

Carano was a former Muay Thai Champion. If she can keep it on the feet, she would give Rousey trouble. My point is that styles make fights. A superior striker is the only type of person that will take out Rousey, not an overall balanced MMA fighter.

The Carano that lost to Cyborg would have lost to Rousey in the first round. That's at her arguable best. The Carano of today five years retired and eight years out from her last 135 fight would be wrecked badly.

"If an elite striker can keep her completely at bay"

That is NOT possible.

NOT against Rousey. She is Judoka with a 4th degree black belt and an Olympic medal. Also, the major focus of her boxing training for MMA is to get into the clinch.

Rousey has a chin. She can take a punch. It is far more common in WWMA for the women to get a knock out with cummulative concussive strikes over several minutes or rounds. Rarely, but it does happen, do we see the one punch knock out.

Rousey would have to be knocked out in the opening exchange.

The most danger that Rousey has been in is when Liz Carmouche got her back and Liz is NOT a accomplished and credentialed elite grappler.

She did not even go to the ground with McMann. That was not the gameplan. She did attempt a throw, but I kinda think that she only used McMann's defense to a potential throw to land another really good knee.

If Ronda ever loses, it will be by an elite grappler that got the better of her on that day. Right now, I don't see one that can.

Holly Holm is a very impressive striker, yet she doesn't stand much of chance. A head kick or flying knee, in the opening exchange is her best chance of winning. She is not going ot knock her out with her hands.

Most logical assessment thus far.

Davis is the most deserving opponent Ronda will have had in the UFC, and is the best submission grappler of the group. She will very likely lose, but she's more of a threat than Tate or Carmouche were.

I would argue that McMann was her most deserving opponent, which is hard to see in retrospect, but will agree that Davis is a scrappy ass grappler. Looking forward to a good fight.

It's a title fight against an established dominant champ. I don't think she's much of a threat, but not really any less so than Dillashaw (or Assuncao for that matter) or Bagautinov, or perhaps even Mendes or Werdum.

I think the strength and conditioning gap, as well as Ronda's improved clinch striking, will be rather insurmountable, but there are things to give us hope that this might be a better fight. Davis is the best submission grappler Ronda has faced, and Ronda showed a worrisome tendency to give up position against Tate and Carmouche. Carmouche almost made something of it, and Alexis Davis definitely has better submissions. She's also the one who's going to defend that armbar and drag Ronda into deep waters, if anyone is.

I agree with you.

Davis is the best submission grappler that Rousey has faced and I hope because of that, this fight will be exciting. I hope. When Rousey began training with Rener and Ryron Gracie, the focus was on being in bad postions and defending them and creating on offense from them.

I am not sure I understand what 'drag into deep waters' means. I though that the person that was doing the dragging was the person that was excuting thier gameplan. Many people said that Tate was taking Rousey in the deep waters, but I don't get that when Rousey was dominating that fight in every aspect. Does it mean that a person who just survives the earlier rounds to take advantage of thier opponents fatigue in the later rounds?

I would argue that McMann was her most deserving opponent, which is hard to see in retrospect, but will agree that Davis is a scrappy ass grappler. Looking forward to a good fight.

Really?

I must confess that I am perplexed and slightly disturbed by the suggestion, but am also somewhat curious about what that argument would look like.

She just does not have the athleticism to be a threat. With guys like Barao, Aldo and Jon Jones the question is one of who could conceivably win. With Rousey, it is only a question of who can even so much as make the fight competitive enough to be interesting. I hope Davis can at least make it fight of the night material. At the moment, either the athleticism is not there or they are not training at the intensity of Rousey and the most successful guys in the UFC or the UFC just can't find and bring in women with enough martial prowess. Regardless, it is only a question of if Davis can make it interesting.

I'm not sure if Davis has a good chance to beat Rousey, but I think she does have a better chance to not get finished than Rousey's other opponents. She has better sub defense and is arguably more durable than anyone Rousey has fought so far. I don't know if she has enough offensive skill to finish Rousey or even outpoint her in a decision. But Ronda may have a tough time finishing her off.

I'm thinking Rousey submits her in the second round, the third at the latest.. I wonder if Rousey can pull off another submission besides the armbar.

Back