• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is a blue belt in BJJ the hardest first belt to get in martial arts?

Like, imagine never watching a bjj ever, no mma, nothing... and trying to learn every single thing to get a blue belt? I feel that is the biggest most important journey of my life and one of the harder things i have done, i got my first belt in karate very easy in comparison

I did not know that demi lovato posted in this forum.

Like, imagine never watching a bjj ever, no mma, nothing... and trying to learn every single thing to get a blue belt? I feel that is the biggest most important journey of my life and one of the harder things i have done, i got my first belt in karate very easy in comparison

Let's be honest, if training bjj and getting a blue belt is one of the hardest things you have done.... you have had a prettu5 easy life.

Belts are overrated, but as for hardest.. depends on the gym, the individual, and the coaches. In some ways I think purple is actually harder. There is a lot of talking about how high the quitting rate is around blue belt.

I think the reason for that is because the training wheels come off. Higher belts don't take it easy on you anymore (or much less often). Any Dunning-Kruger effect starts to wear off and the sheer magnitude of things yet to be learned, the hard work or "grind" (ugh I hate that word, can't think of a better one) that will be needed, how competitive and driven the other people who are still doing it are, and the realization that strength, athleticism, matter just as much as they do in every other sport. Makes a lot of people quit because the sheer magnitude is too much

I agree about the purple belt part. If your in a legit gym you actually have to be pretty darn good to be a purple belt. Definitely not unbeatable, but your part of the alpha group.

I agree about the purple belt part. If your in a legit gym you actually have to be pretty darn good to be a purple belt. Definitely not unbeatable, but your part of the alpha group.
I always thought of it like this. If you're a blue belt you're a competent Grappler. If you're a purple belt you're an expert Grappler. And if you are a brown or black belt than you are in a Elite Grappler

Let's be honest, if training bjj and getting a blue belt is one of the hardest things you have done.... you have had a prettu5 easy life.

Well, hardest thing was losing my mother at 12, but i wasnt thinking that deep <45>come on bro

Honestly for me it was just getting the courage, at 35, to get up and walk into a bjj gym was very hard to do. I still have self doubts at my age but it's fun and I enjoy it and I tell myself even if I suck at It, at least in another year or so of hard training I should be better than the average untrained guy on the street when it comes to ground fighting.

That's my hope anyways. But yeah getting a legit blue belt will be awesome one day and I'm excited for it
That's one of the beauties of BJJ. Even the average dude who sticks with it, given time and a bit of commitment, can become a badass. Love it.

That's one of the beauties of BJJ. Even the average dude who sticks with it, given time and a bit of commitment, can become a badass. Love it.

Hope so man. Thanks for the words of encouragement

He compared it to getting the first belt in other martial arts, not all the hard shit in life.

I have been training BJJ for over ten years.

That's weirdly irrelevant to what is being discussed. You keep arguing against arguments that were never made, or twist things in a weird way.

i think i was like 7 years old when i got my first karate belt so uh it aint karate... i think i had to do some dance moves while i kicked and punched for my yellow belt lol

Dude I got my black belt recently and I have to say I did substantially more work for it than I did for blue >.>

I got my blue belt in a little over a year. I got it because I was already an athlete when I began.
I had my blue belt for ten years. I endured a broken toe, dislocated shoulder, two torn knees, surgery, a divorce, and countless other challenges.
Getting to purple was definitely the hardest belt for me. From there it was only a couple years at purple and a couple at brown to get to black.
I'm guessing getting to red belt will be difficult. We'll see.

You feel wrong. Step back and get some perspective.

I don't like this comment, doing combat sports has added so much confidence to my life, in all areas of my life, without it i don't meet my wife, which means i don't have my kids, it means a lot to me.

I don't like this comment, doing combat sports has added so much confidence to my life, in all areas of my life, without it i don't meet my wife, which means i don't have my kids, it means a lot to me.

Jiu-jitsu is great, but we should not put it on a pedestal like that. It does a lot of good for a lot of people... A good number of people I know also have fucked up fingers and knees from doing it.

You also wear shoes when walking around outside, do you credit those shoes for carrying you to your wife? The bedsheets that you conceived your children on, are they responsible for your family? Does the bus driver you had in second grade get the title of most important transport of you life because it carried your towards whatever career you ended up in?

I'm sorry you didn't like my comment; but my point stands. Blue-belt is kinda insignificant in the world of juijitsu, juijitsu is kind of insignificant in the world at large. Its great that you do it, but don't elevate its importance to unreasonable levels. You have kids and a wife, IMO there definately should be more important 'Journeys' in your life than the trip from white to blue.

White to black maybe is the time to wax poetic, but white to blue.... Thats like saying "This is the most beautiful place in the world" after getting out of your car in the parking lot of Yellowstone. You're surrounded by tourists and haven't really seen the place yet.

Dude I got my black belt recently and I have to say I did substantially more work for it than I did for blue >.>

He said is it the hardest FIRST belt to get in martial arts. I think a lot of people are mis understanding the question. He's asking is the blue belt harder to get than the first belt in TKD , Karate etc. etc.

Back