Is a blue belt in BJJ the hardest first belt to get in martial arts?

Purple.

Assuming you go to a school that doesn't hand out belts based purely on attendance.

He said is it the hardest FIRST belt to get in martial arts. I think a lot of people are mis understanding the question. He's asking is the blue belt harder to get than the first belt in TKD , Karate etc. etc.

Thank you, people don't seem to read very well. Obviously getting black or purple is harder, im talking that initial leap from novice to first belt.

Thank you, people don't seem to read very well. Obviously getting black or purple is harder, im talking that initial leap from novice to first belt.

My apologies, I just skimmed that shit.

Jiu-jitsu is great, but we should not put it on a pedestal like that. It does a lot of good for a lot of people... A good number of people I know also have fucked up fingers and knees from doing it.

You also wear shoes when walking around outside, do you credit those shoes for carrying you to your wife? The bedsheets that you conceived your children on, are they responsible for your family? Does the bus driver you had in second grade get the title of most important transport of you life because it carried your towards whatever career you ended up in?

I'm sorry you didn't like my comment; but my point stands. Blue-belt is kinda insignificant in the world of juijitsu, juijitsu is kind of insignificant in the world at large. Its great that you do it, but don't elevate its importance to unreasonable levels. You have kids and a wife, IMO there definately should be more important 'Journeys' in your life than the trip from white to blue.

White to black maybe is the time to wax poetic, but white to blue.... Thats like saying "This is the most beautiful place in the world" after getting out of your car in the parking lot of Yellowstone. You're surrounded by tourists and haven't really seen the place yet.

This kind of idea that there always has to be something 'more' you should be grasping for is why you and many other inmates of the modern are so neurotic.

Jiu-jitsu is great, but we should not put it on a pedestal like that. It does a lot of good for a lot of people

I'm sorry you didn't like my comment; but my point stands. Blue-belt is kinda insignificant in the world of juijitsu, juijitsu is kind of insignificant in the world at large. Its great that you do it, but don't elevate its importance to unreasonable levels.

Speak for yourself. There are plenty of people who find BJJ to be more important than many of the things you deem as significant. A blue belt might not be that important to some, and BJJ might not be important to others compared to what they value in life, but I can say with 100% certainty, for me, BJJ is much more important than having children, being married, or having a high paying job. BJJ and wrestling are the first things I put on a pedestal.

Speak for yourself. There are plenty of people who find BJJ to be more important than many of the things you deem as significant. A blue belt might not be that important to some, and BJJ might not be important to others compared to what they value in life, but I can say with 100% certainty, for me, BJJ is much more important than having children, being married, or having a high paying job. BJJ and wrestling are the first things I put on a pedestal.

I would say since I started bjj training a year ago I'm happier and more confident. It's definitely more important to me than anything else I do right now aside from my wife and kids.

Yes, I think.

I have black belts in other martial arts and a brown belt in BJJ.

The blue belt in BJJ took more blood, sweat, and tears than either of the black belts that I got in other arts. I was as proud of that blue belt as I was of the black belts. And then the purple in BJJ meant significantly more than any black belt I earned in anything else.

Amen.

Pretty sure most of the whites in my school who have been there for at least 3 years asks the same thing as the title suggest.

I got my blue belt in around 11 months. I just had to show my coach that I had a good idea on what to do. Be able to keep calm and composed when in difficult situations; use correct defense and winning, of course: helped a lot. It was all in competitions. My coach also had me teach a few takedowns after bjj class for a while, I enjoyed doing it and have good knowledge of how to use them.

I think you just need to compete and not get totally dominated to get a blue belt.

Dunno why people are being such d1cks.

Congratulations on your blue belt!

Purple isn't the first promotion though. .

I know, I didn't thoroughly read the thread.

I thought he was asking what belt in BJJ is hardest to achieve conpared tonother belts. I thought purple is the hardest hurdle. Most people can get blue, and if you get purple, you usually get promoted to brown sooner or later. But many drop out at blue belt after a stripe or two.

I would say since I started bjj training a year ago I'm happier and more confident. It's definitely more important to me than anything else I do right now aside from my wife and kids.

And it's not one or the other, it's about meeting the varying needs to find a happy balance. I'll tell you after over a decade off from mma, coming back to bjj and getting my blue belt at the age of 46 put a real spring into my step. Way more than the prior year of jogging and "get fit not hit" title boxing crap I was doing. It makes me a better father and husband to have this kind of stuff back in my life and after having been in no GI / mma it was really cool to get a "belt" after all these years. Now upwards and onwards.

And it's not one or the other, it's about meeting the varying needs to find a happy balance. I'll tell you after over a decade off from mma, coming back to bjj and getting my blue belt at the age of 46 put a real spring into my step. Way more than the prior year of jogging and "get fit not hit" title boxing crap I was doing. It makes me a better father and husband to have this kind of stuff back in my life and after having been in no GI / mma it was really cool to get a "belt" after all these years. Now upwards and onwards.

Right on man. I feel the same way. I tried jogging and weight lifting but always lost interest. At least bjj you get a decent work out and it's fun too.

Right on man. I feel the same way. I tried jogging and weight lifting but always lost interest. At least bjj you get a decent work out and it's fun too.

But just be careful.

I was giving a 240 lbs wrestler a real run for his money last night until he finally sunk a knee bar in that I had already escaped twice from. Now I have a little limp :).

Purple isn't the first promotion though. .

Blue belt is really easy to get honestly as long you don't quit within the first 2 years of training and your making some of effort of improving skill wise, which 99% of people who stick around do improve. Generally speaking, the standards to be a blue belt is low.

A legit purple belt is where you have to start getting good at jiu jitsu. A person can quit at purple belt and defend himself in street fight against a reasonably trained/tough person. He can apply jiu-jitsu and know how and why he is doing it.

It's almost like purple is the first 'meanful' promotion. Unless your at a huge school with multiple coaches i think a single head coach remembers all the students he ever promoted to purple. That's not necessarily true for blue belts.

Last edited:
As far as the first step up from white, I think BJJ is likely the hardest to get the next rank. Although some adults have a seriously hard time getting the basics down in judo.

I have been training BJJ for over ten years.

Well you're certainly full of shit about something. I've done both, and getting promoted to blue in BJJ was worlds harder than getting promoted to yellow in Judo.

But just be careful.

I was giving a 240 lbs wrestler a real run for his money last night until he finally sunk a knee bar in that I had already escaped twice from. Now I have a little limp :).

Ugh. Yeah going against the bigger guys is a pain. I actually much much prefer to roll with the higher belts when they are that big rather than a brand new guy first day in the gym. The latter just flattens me.

Back