Is 40 too old to start training and competing in MMA?

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?
If you're athletic and get on some good PEDs, and only fight on the ammy circuit yes you can still do it. I'm being serious too. Nothing wrong with some gear to turn back the clock. You just need some fundamentals and not to fight to high of competition level. You can do it if you train properly. 40 isn't that old for the minor leagues if you catch on decently.

Ive seen plenty of guys over 40 kick some major ass on the small shows. You don't have to have a ton of experience, just competent and in shape. Go for it and fuck all these haters. My last fight was at almost 34 and I won easily. You still have your power

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?
upload_2018-8-6_0-48-2.jpeg

This is a training subforum question.

But the answer is still yes, you're way too late. You can do some amateur bouts against similarly aged and inexperienced grandpas like yourself, but you are way, way too old to go pro. You'd need two years of training to not completely gas in the first round and it sounds like you've avoided cardio all your life in favor of bulking up which exacerbates the cardio issue. Throw in the fact that you've literally never trained in any martial art before and I'm doubting if this is even a real post. Everyone should get in the cage at some point in their life just for the experience but not as an old man that doesn't know what he's doing.

Do yourself a favor TS. Look up Mike Tyson's training regimen. If you can do that, sure, get a fight lined up. If you're not ready (or physically capable) to spend 3-4 hours a day training plus intense cardio to the tune of 5-8 miles running daily or every other day, you have no business stepping into any kind of sanctioned fight.

My advice to you would be stop doing whatever weight training you're doing and do something useful like getting into a boxing gym, judo or BJJ school. Lifting weights and shit is a waste of time if all you're doing is jerking off to how good you look. You'd still get your ass handed to you in a fight. It takes years, YEARS of training at a pro level to be able to go full rounds. Every douche bro you see at the gym probably has two minutes tops of emergency energy before they completely gas out. That's what happens when you spend your time lifting weights instead of punching or throwing people. The other factor that never occurs to noobs is that whatever cardio you do have is going to be sapped every time you get hit. That's why most street fights end with a couple of dudes ready to throw up on each other after a minute.

Serious question guys.

tenor.gif

What are you asking these tards for, the only person that knows the answer to that is you but if your looking for reassurance from the fuckwits on here your just looking for trouble. Everything gets better with effort.

This is a training subforum question.

But the answer is still yes, you're way too late. You can do some amateur bouts against similarly aged and inexperienced grandpas like yourself, but you are way, way too old to go pro. You'd need two years of training to not completely gas in the first round and it sounds like you've avoided cardio all your life in favor of bulking up which exacerbates the cardio issue. Throw in the fact that you've literally never trained in any martial art before and I'm doubting if this is even a real post. Everyone should get in the cage at some point in their life just for the experience but not as an old man that doesn't know what he's doing.

Do yourself a favor TS. Look up Mike Tyson's training regimen. If you can do that, sure, get a fight lined up. If you're not ready (or physically capable) to spend 3-4 hours a day training plus intense cardio to the tune of 5-8 miles running daily or every other day, you have no business stepping into any kind of sanctioned fight.

My advice to you would be stop doing whatever weight training you're doing and do something useful like getting into a boxing gym, judo or BJJ school. Lifting weights and shit is a waste of time if all you're doing is jerking off to how good you look. You'd still get your ass handed to you in a fight. It takes years, YEARS of training at a pro level to be able to go full rounds. Every douche bro you see at the gym probably has two minutes tops of emergency energy before they completely gas out. That's what happens when you spend your time lifting weights instead of punching or throwing people. The other factor that never occurs to noobs is that whatever cardio you do have is going to be sapped every time you get hit. That's why most street fights end with a couple of dudes ready to throw up on each other after a minute.
This is solid advice but if he's actually serious its very possible for small shows. Ive seen plenty gas in 2 minutes both young and old. He just needs favorable match making and hard training.

Unless you're a really special kind of athlete, no, too old to start competing

BJJ is better exercise than you would except, especially with flexibility. I couldn’t suggest BJJ more to stay/become limber. Same could be said with kickboxing.

As far as competing at a high level? No, sorry brother, prob not. Not only does your body not bounce back quit as quick, but neither does your brain. I’m not saying you’re old by any means, but don’t go start getting drilled in the head everyday at 40. And frick what these negative Nancy’s say on here, you do you.

TS, post some pics first and let us decide. Tapout shirt off.

How do you know you only consist of fast twitch muscle fibers?

It depends what your goal is...

Fitness- no. Not too late

UFC champion- yes, 25 years too late

it's never too late to start training and competing but can you train and compete at the top level probably not

Back