Is 40 too old to start training and competing in MMA?

There is a guy at the BJJ gym where I train who just turned 50 but kicks most of the young guns ass. Altough he is a black belt in Japanese Jiu Jitsu and blue in bjj so has "some previous experience". Go for it man. What happens if you try it?

For me I thought I could always come back but after I hit 34. I started accumulating these injuries that last for months instead of weeks. When I was young, I always found it fun to get out of shape and come back strong. I can't do that anymore. It just feels like I am stuck in second gear and unable to push further. My cardio took a dump as well, in the past I would have the initial muscle fatigue and I would get over it within the first week or two but nowadays I get the burning lungs and the body fatigue at the same time.

For me I thought I could always come back but after I hit 34. I started accumulating these injuries that last for months instead of weeks. When I was young, I always found it fun to get out of shape and come back strong. I can't do that anymore. It just feels like I am stuck in second gear and unable to push further. My cardio took a dump as well, in the past I would have the initial muscle fatigue and I would get over it within the first week or two but nowadays I get the burning lungs and the body fatigue at the same time.

That means it’s not just your anaerobic system that sucks, but your aerobic system as well. Do a 30 min walk daily.

its possible, but not by being the typical oldhead, you'll have to juice hard for performance and train twice a day hard + hgh, and also have an open mind to learn new tricks as an old dog.

but evan tanner started late .. I am sorry but if you are training by yourself for 5 years which evan tanner pretty much did he would watch videos and read books on brazlian jiu jitus training WHICH IS WHAT I THINK THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DOING ! so yeah , that doesn't count as "training ".. so I would say that he did start late he started at 29 years old I believe or younger ..not sure but he did some major ass .. he kicked phil baroni ass and phil baroni was a unstoppable force in the ufc .. this guy in my BJJ class who use to bully me told me that Phil Baroni was going to rule the middle weight division the same way " Nero or Caligula ruled or dominated the roman emperor .. I feel bad for Phil baroni now his life went to crap because of evan tanner .. I like phil baroni I met him one time I hope that guy in my BJJ class you use to bully me I hope his life is the way phil baroni's life is now but read up what that guy said to you to key words" its not worth it " you want to fight someone .. go beat up your co -worker who messes with you if you are unlucky your co -worker may have back and you may have to fight three guys at the same time . you have a better chance at beating three guys in a street fight with your bare hands than you do at being a fucking just one UFC fighter in a fight ! a navy seal with just a melee weapon cant even beat a fucking UFC fighter in a fight what chance do you think you would stand? no seriously you have a better chance fighting a leopard with your bare hands than beating a ufc fighter in a cage that is the same weight as you

I can think of better goals

why not train until your 50 and open your own school? .. save your money .. !!

or train your ass off and when you are 45 just do amateur kickboxing you wil like hurting people and you will like getting hit

get your body fat down to 10 percent or try to win a wrestling match on the beach .. they do have them they have them on my beach once a year in the summer.. it will get your gf nice and wet !

get your blue belt in grappling BJJ and try to win a NAGA or whatever they hell they call it for blue belt for 40 year old men and older

go back into the army or marines as a officer

I would just love to know what is sherdog's obsession with fighting younger guys?

Last edited:
but evan tanner started late .. I am sorry but if you are training by yourself for 5 years which evan tanner pretty much did he would watch videos and blah blah blah the army or marines as a officer

I would just love to know what is sherdog's obsession with fighting younger guys?

As you get older, being able to still kick the arse of men in their prime is life affirming.

but evan tanner started late .. I am sorry but if you are training by yourself for 5 years which evan tanner pretty much did he would watch videos and read books on brazlian jiu jitus training WHICH IS WHAT I THINK THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DOING ! so yeah , that doesn't count as "training ".. so I would say that he did start late he started at 29 years old I believe or younger ..not sure but he did some major ass .. he kicked phil baroni ass and phil baroni was a unstoppable force in the ufc .. this guy in my BJJ class who use to bully me told me that Phil Baroni was going to rule the middle weight division the same way " Nero or Caligula ruled or dominated the roman emperor .. I feel bad for Phil baroni now his life went to crap because of evan tanner .. I like phil baroni I met him one time I hope that guy in my BJJ class you use to bully me I hope his life is the way phil baroni's life is now but read up what that guy said to you to key words" its not worth it " you want to fight someone .. go beat up your co -worker who messes with you if you are unlucky your co -worker may have back and you may have to fight three guys at the same time . you have a better chance at beating three guys in a street fight with your bare hands than you do at being a fucking just one UFC fighter in a fight ! a navy seal with just a melee weapon cant even beat a fucking UFC fighter in a fight what chance do you think you would stand? no seriously you have a better chance fighting a leopard with your bare hands than beating a ufc fighter in a cage that is the same weight as you

or train your ass off and when you are 45 just do amateur kickboxing you wil like hurting people and you will like getting hit

get your body fat down to 10 percent or try to win a wrestling match on the beach .. they do have them they have them on my beach once a year in the summer.. it will get your gf nice and wet !

get your blue belt in grappling BJJ and try to win a NAGA or whatever they hell they call it for blue belt for 40 year old men and older

good read lol

Too late to make a living, any living from it. 40 is the Autum of a athletic career. No expirience. No respect.

I would like to punch you in training maybe you will respect me unlike CM Punk.

But not too late to have fun and be a good fighter. You can do some fights vs opponents of your rank, of your low rank. But you will not pay your bills with it.

Too late to make a living, any living from it. 40 is the Autum of a athletic career. No expirience. No respect.

I would like to punch you in training maybe you will respect me unlike CM Punk.

But not too late to have fun and be a good fighter. You can do some fights vs opponents of your rank, of your low rank. But you will not pay your bills with it.

Welcome to sherdog Oliver, you seem like you are going to be a lot of fun!

Welcome to sherdog Oliver, you seem like you are going to be a lot of fun!

I'm browsing sherdog pretty much daily for 14 years now. Should I give up on the forum section again. I just scroll it sometimes for news and to see what the online fans think. Bjpenn.com for news, sherdog for news too. Instagram for fighters. Forums for wasting time I guess a lil talk is not that bad. Need to get a new job anyways stead of chillin here. What can I say fighting is part of my life .

And we all know the reputation if sherdog forums. Uderground mma forums is full of it, sherdog is dominated by it.

What is "it". I'll let you interpret it.

It's like I belong here but it's still a hole. Like coming from a ghetto, it's familiar but it's still bad.

All good who cares what everyone has anonymously to write. Like who are we

What in the actual fuck did I just read?

S
The key to sherdog is, only sherdog while you are getting paid.
Shills ? Good job dm me, I could bs and hype all day, from new account. As side hustle. I know this shit in and out, I can manipulate to their storyline.

If you do it for free ; when you look too long into the Abyss, it looks back at you.

Have a good day folks

Back