Is 2x a week enough?

sarge

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently started training bjj and I can usually only make it to two classes a week, sometimes three. I have a hard time fitting it in with a full time job and training boxing a couple of times a week also. Is this enough to develop a decent ground game?

Depends how fast you want to develop it. If you are in no rush and just want to learn some basics, yes. If you would like to improve rapidly, no.

quit the boxing... unless your peurto rican.

Spend more time training.

The more you train the better youll get.

I agree with Gsoares2 to a certain point. It's your choice, but picking one style and getting good at it seems more efficient than picking two and being mediocre at them. The ole' "jack of all trades but master of none..." saying comes to mind.

It also depends on your goals.
1 day a week is maintenence and nothing more.
2 days a week is small, but constant, improvement over time.
3 days a week is steady and noticable improvement.
Anything over that should yield fast and steady improvement.

Good luck.

With some exceptions (for injuries and major overtraining), the more you train the better. When you first start, 2x a week is probably pretty good. Your body will still be getting used to the abuse it takes doing BJJ and you'll be able to work yourself into it. Coming from 0 ground knowledge, training 2x a week, you'll see a lot of improvement quickly. After you have some training under your belt in the basics, your progress might slow being that you're only going twice a week, but it's still better than nothing. Bottom line, 2x a week is fine for starting off, but down the road you may want to consider bumping it up, especially if you have goals of competition or moving up in the BJJ ranks.

Gsoares2 said:
quit the boxing... unless your peurto rican.

Mexicans and Cubans > Puerto Ricans in boxing :p

I think twice a week is plenty as long as you supplement your training with instructionals and drilling at home. I use to go just twice a week and my progress was slow but once I started buying instructionals Im improving fast. I still go twice a week and I got my blue belt in just under a year. What helped me was to practice first Escapes and then control+ base. I don't drill submissions too much.

I agree about the instructionals, the only problem is I don't have a partner to practice on. Right now my goals for bjj are to compete in about four months and to earn my blue belt in a reasonable amount of time (1-1.5 years). I really just want to learn the basics to ultimately compete in mma and be competent on the ground. Not trying to be a jiu jitsu wizard or anything. After I get my blue I am probably going to switch to an mma/no-gi school. From what I gather, I should probably drop the boxing for now and bump up the bjj to 4x a week. I can always hit the bag at home.

Soid said:
Mexicans and Cubans > Puerto Ricans in boxing :p
it goes in weight classes.

Rule of thumb is
The lower the weight class the lower the minority.

Im portugese and japanese.. i would suck at boxing. but take well to bjj.

basing things on racial lineage is the only way to ride. :wink:

Gsoares2 said:
it goes in weight classes.

Rule of thumb is
The lower the weight class the lower the minority.

Im portugese and japanese.. i would suck at boxing. but take well to bjj.

basing things on racial lineage is the only way to ride. :wink:
Hahhaha yeah. My mom is dominican, my dad is russian/polish so I guess I would take well to both.

Superbeast said:
Depends how fast you want to develop it. If you are in no rush and just want to learn some basics, yes. If you would like to improve rapidly, no.
agreed.

i only get to go once a week because of school & work :(

What if you can only go two times a week because of the school? I looked at the school schedule that I am thinking of joining and it has beginner classes only two times a week.

djmarkiss said:
What if you can only go two times a week because of the school? I looked at the school schedule that I am thinking of joining and it has beginner classes only two times a week.

It is better than nothing. Just stick around for open mat afterwards, you will learn a lot. You can probably go to the intermediate or advanced classes, but you will just be a tapping dummy.

as a beginner training twice a week is what your body will be able to handle at first anyways.
If you show promise it wont be long before your aloud at the advance class.

Find someone else at class to meet up with a do drills with.. It will help your improvement by leaps an bounds. Or just go by your self and drill things. Spawls, burpees, Knee on the belly switching sides, slide up to technical mount. All things you can do on your own with a heavy bag on the ground.

Some people feel like they always have to roll to get better. If you add one day of technique only on to the days you already train under a black belt you will be happy with the results in less than a month.

Yes 2x per week is great. If you want to win the Pan Ams or Mundials, it's not enough. If you want to train, learn BJJ, get in shape and improve steadily, yes it's fine.

Two times a week is excellent. Keep a notebook, look at stuff online maybe buy an instructional or too. THe key is to have it in your head all the time and KEEP A NOTEBOOK.

You will progress just fine and get your blue in 1-2 years.

i wish i could train 2x a week consistently, i am probably a blue belt in no gi but i want to improve more rapidly but i cant because of school and crap.

sarge said:
I recently started training bjj and I can usually only make it to two classes a week, sometimes three. I have a hard time fitting it in with a full time job and training boxing a couple of times a week also. Is this enough to develop a decent ground game?

yeah

Back