Is 2x a week enough?

3 to 4 is good for me purely to get repetition of movements. Some people take more natural than others. Sadly I'm not a natural, so I have to train often.

As long as you are maximizing your training and you keep learning, that would be enough

dont forget to take into account how long the classes are.

I usually only go 2-3 times a week but im there training for like 2 1/2 hours each time.

Bubble Boy said:
I agree with Gsoares2 to a certain point. It's your choice, but picking one style and getting good at it seems more efficient than picking two and being mediocre at them. The ole' "jack of all trades but master of none..." saying comes to mind.

It also depends on your goals.
1 day a week is maintenence and nothing more.
2 days a week is small, but constant, improvement over time.
3 days a week is steady and noticable improvement.
Anything over that should yield fast and steady improvement.

Good luck.

I'm glad you posted that as I can only attend class 2x a week and had worried about my development. I have recently purchased 10 private sessions which shoyuld help my game.

sarge said:
I recently started training bjj and I can usually only make it to two classes a week, sometimes three. I have a hard time fitting it in with a full time job and training boxing a couple of times a week also. Is this enough to develop a decent ground game?

Yes. Having a full time job is tough. Not everyone on this forum is just in school and has mommy to cook, clean, and wipe their asses for them...

Just train as much as you can. Sounds like the most you'd be able to change would be to drop some of the boxing for BJJ, anyway...so if after doing BJJ a few months you feel like you're not progressing as fast as you'd like, then that's what you'll have to do.

The proof is in the pudding.

I moved back in with my parents, gave up my social life, and have almost no free time, or money. My car is falling apart. My entire body hurts from training every day. My grades are suffering in college.

So quit your bitchin abou full time jobs.. If you wanted it bad enough you give up luxurys you have, to train more. Problem is that you want other shit too and training isnt important enough.

Its how bad you want it, its about sacrifices and compromises.

Gsoares2 said:
I moved back in with my parents, gave up my social life, and have almost no free time, or money. My car is falling apart. My entire body hurts from training every day. My grades are suffering in college.

So quit your bitchin abou full time jobs.. If you wanted it bad enough you give up luxurys you have, to train more. Problem is that you want other shit too and training is important enough.

All to train more. Its how bad you want it, its about sacrifices and compromises.

People do BJJ for different reasons, often to ADD to one's life.

Sacrifice and compromise is important, but so is balance in life. Shit, even Helio had enough time to get married numerous times, father several children, and take the time to raise them AND teach them BJJ. There are plenty of BJJ black belts who have other non-BJJ achievements and happiness in their lives.

Your devotion to BJJ is certainly more than what would be considered average. Admirable? Depends on who you ask. I think the original poster just wanted to know that he could progress with his ground game with 2x/wk training, without giving up other things that are just as important to him in life. And IMO, the answer is yes.

Absolutely. I was simply pointing out it depends on how important it is to you. Or how good you want to be. The reason i sacrifice so much for it is because its so much fun to me, i like training, i like seeing my self advance faster than others.

If you only see what is stopping you from getting things done, it will never happen. His obstacles are work and boxing. Find ways to work through or around those obstacles instead of just complaining about them.

Soid said:
Mexicans and Cubans > Puerto Ricans in boxing :p

I doubt it; considering the fact that the mexicans are great fighters; we've produced the most champs and constant array of great fighters in the last 20 years. The cubans haven't a chance to shine, but we've taken them out before too.

Gsoares2 said:
If you only see what is stopping you from getting things done, it will never happen. His obstacles are work and boxing. Find ways to work through or around those obstacles instead of just complaining about them.

I guess I should have added supporting a family to that list. Quitting work and moving back in with mom & pop isn't really an option for me.

It should be fine. How fast you improve also has to do with learning from your mistakes. I've seen people in the gym roll 3 times a week and not improve. I did the same thing. Ask your training partner what you're doing wrong if you keep getting tapped.

VTJas81 said:
I think twice a week is plenty as long as you supplement your training with instructionals and drilling at home. I use to go just twice a week and my progress was slow but once I started buying instructionals Im improving fast. I still go twice a week and I got my blue belt in just under a year. What helped me was to practice first Escapes and then control+ base. I don't drill submissions too much.

I agree totally, your story sounds like mine, in that I train twice a week, and drill at home alot. I've been at it for 8 mos. and hopfully I'm geting close to blue.

sarge said:
I guess I should have added supporting a family to that list. Quitting work and moving back in with mom & pop isn't really an option for me.
Family changes things a bit.
Have to find a sugar momma that will work while you take care of the kids and take them to jiujitsu practice.

2x a week better be enough because that is all I can get in. What really helps is take one day at home to just lightly practice the moves you learned. It really helps!

Wolverine
///

Gsoares2 said:

So quit your bitchin abou full time jobs.. If you wanted it bad enough you give up luxurys you have, to train more. Problem is that you want other shit too and training isnt important enough.

Its how bad you want it, its about sacrifices and compromises.

Hey pal ever heard of walking a mile in a mans shoes....

Some people don't want to take their wife and kids and move in with mommy and daddy. If your priority in life is to become a black belt in BJJ and you are willing to sacrifice everything than so be it just don't come in here preaching about how people aren't commited.

BTW, allowing your grades to suffer is not a good idea.

I've been doing BJJ 2x per week for a little over 3 years. I got my blue belt at Rickson's school in about 18 months training 2x per week (which is pretty good; Rickson promotes slowly) and I've found that consistency is the key to it all. I think you can progress very nicely if you can keep a regular schedule and think about BJJ/MMA outside of class, reading, watching instructionals or videos, etc. But mostly just make sure you get in there 2x per week as much as possible. You have to make it a priority. I have 2 kids, a wife, a more than full time job as a lawyer and do BJJ. So you just got to be disciplined about it.

Its funny how ppl say to train 3-4 times a week when most ppl can't even come in consistently. Sure they go 3 times one week but then they're absent for several weeks. 2 times is hard as is with a fulltime job. Im one of the more consistent ones in my school and I miss quite a bit of classes as well. Like everyone says, just stay consistent. Even 1 time a week consistently is better then being sporadic.

Its like weight lifting. Everyone who just start lifting might come in the gym 90 min a day 3-4 times a week doing set after set. They feel they have full of energy and wants to add more exercises. But after a few months in they stop altogether becuz of the large workload they created.

VTJas81 said:
Its funny how ppl say to train 3-4 times a week when most ppl can't even come in consistently. Sure they go 3 times one week but then they're absent for several weeks...

Totally right. I see guys going like gangbusters for a while, but then miss a few weeks. And they don't progress as fast.

Two times a week consistent is certainly plenty to make it to blue ... but from my experiences with boxing and BJJ I fail to see how you could train both hard at the same time without running into, from my perspective, unacceptably high rates of injury. If you're a pro that's a risk you may be willing to take, but for an amateur, it's too hard on your body IMO.

Back