IQ: Yea or Nay?

How do you view IQ tests?

• They are accurately measuring something enough to be a predictor of success.

• They are culturally and educationally biased bullshit.

• IQ more or less measures intelligence (which is greatly influenced by early environment).

Results are only viewable after voting.
This post is the correct answer to the unintentional IQ test in the poll.

Trotsky has a higher IQ than you if you did not go through a similar thought process.

It went through my thought process but I have to say @Trotsky is the smartest poster on this entire forum. He has given up arguing with humans. He wishes for AI and robots to annihilate us humans. He has achieved a divine status of meditation. He knows we must start again or be wiped out.

Integeresting cuntclusion

No problem my friend, I am only here to cuntclude that certain people are on another level here.

Yeah, Greoric definitely. Maybe some other posters like Limbo or JVS too.

Don't forget to include yourself. Beggars can't be choosers but they can definitely have a different view on things.

I'm advocating discussion. Are you able to contribute in either an honest or positive fashion? :)
Maybe...

giphy.gif

The military says that people with an IQ under 83 are ineligible (i.e. useless).

Ran across this video or another video of his some months back talking about this. Simply answer is no one knows. Humanly you'll want to show compassion. While on the other hand the amount of resources required is substantial.

In a civil society its a complex question everyone should be working towards solving.

Who here has had their IQ measured and what was your score?

Ran across this video or another video of his some months back talking about this. Simply answer is no one knows. Humanly you'll want to show compassion. While on the other hand the amount of resources required is substantial.

In a civil society its a complex question everyone should be working towards solving.

Now that things have become so structured and knowledge so advanced, is there any excuse to not provide the resources? The military budget suggests they exist.///

I'd like to think family and charity could take care of it all, but there will be failures. So government picks up the slack. Then does charity decline because taxes increase? Who wouldn't rather suck up government resources to take care of a dependent relative than their own nest egg? Next thing you know you need your kids too sacrifice there's for you. All because one can't outmaneuver our irrational health care regulation/government intervention.

I've seen him post before and he's not kidding.
Breaking my heart here.

On a serious note, IQ tests measure how well you can fill out IQ tests. It's a cliché, but it's true. Take for example, language skills. It does not measure if someone knows 3 or more languages fluently, which I would say is a sign of intelligence. It's also very culturally relative, since you know, if you don't speak the language the test is made in you really won't score well.

If for some reason you missed out on general math in elementary school, or it has been a while since you've last done some roots and multiplications, you'll score less. Obviously!

To make it more extreme, you take a child with high-IQ parents, you have him raised by bears, he'll have a very low IQ just because he hasn't ever performed any of the skills needed to complete an IQ test. Does this mean that he's naturally less intelligent? The science of herditary traits would disagree, but the IQ test will clearly label him stupid.

It's an extreme example but I do think it illustrates the relativity of IQ tests and the ability to improve your IQ test scores just by doing more IQ tests, or improving an area of the IQ test in which you score poorly.

Increasing your vocabulary and elementary math will certainly improve it.

It's my personal opinion that it's very relative. I think it should include memory as I feel it is an important factor in intelligence. A lot of tribal people would score much higher since they have exceptional memory due to living in an oral culture. One of the downsides of the alphabet.

I do not think IQ tests are completely bogus, but they're not the holy grail of intelligence either in my opinion. Take a science nerd with an IQ of 150 and put him in the wild. Make him compete with a hunter gatherer and see how far his IQ takes him.

IQ tests are biased as it relates to culture and race.

Honestly, all 3 options have merit.

IQ is definitely a valuable metric in measuring human intelligence. It is undoubtedly the best metric we have come up with so far.

But it is certainly not all encompassing. Its very origin is biased to statistical/analytical thought processes. Which is perfect if you believe intelligence is simply how good one is at that type of thought process.

But its obvious that intelligence is in and of itself broad in scope.

Therefore it would be foolish to declare IQ as the end-all-be-all when it cannot account for intangible aspects such as creativity (arts, music, inventing, theorizing, humor etc) or social/emotional intelligence (wit, sympathy, ability to engage with others in social situations, environmental awareness etc).

All very important aspects to the overall concept of intelligence.

But seriously IQ is something that can be increased throughout your life. It isn’t a ceiling people can’t overcome as much as we tend to view it this way.

I don't buy it. I'm sure there is a general range that an educated person would max out at if given the opportunity to prepare and be tested, but the test is obviously not the end all, be all of understandimg a person's intelligence.

Michael Oher (Blind Side) scored an 80 initially. After some nurturing, his IQ is between 100-110. So what exactly was that IQ test actually testing?

I think it does a mediocre job of testing a specific type of intelligence. That's about it. Go tell a potential employer what your IQ is, odds are they will laugh at you.

I would bet there are more than 10 posters here north of 145.
My score is 168 but I am less successful than a couple of much dumber people I know. Because I'm a dick.
IQ is not a universal measure. It is legit, but it does not embrace all the qualities needed for success in life.

Back