IQ: Yea or Nay?

How do you view IQ tests?

• They are accurately measuring something enough to be a predictor of success.

• They are culturally and educationally biased bullshit.

• IQ more or less measures intelligence (which is greatly influenced by early environment).

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's about 45% option 1, 45% option 3 and 10% option 2. I guess I'll vote for option 1. IQ isn't everything, but those with high IQ, especially visual-spatial (STEM), tend to do well. And the gap is increasing in today's technocrat economy.

Who here has had their IQ measured and what was your score?
I had my IQ officially measured as a child and scored 130. I also scored in the 95th percentile in verbal intelligence. I've measured my own IQ since then by using IQ test textbooks and via online tests, but these generally aren't considered as reliable as official tests. FWIW, I've still consistently scored around 130. Unfortunately, my IQ is weighted towards verbal intelligence as opposed to visual-spatial. If it were the other way around, or if my visual-spatial intelligence were equally high, I'd probably be a lot richer.

My long standing criticism of the "bias" theory is that Europeans originated IQ but east asians from another culture score highest. So I just don't by the bias argument.
Besides that, the biggest differences are in visual-spatial rather than verbal intelligence. Blacks are actually the only group in the US that score higher on verbal intelligence than visual-spatial. And IQ tests can be conducted in many languages. I doubt East Asians, who tend to not be proficient in foreign language, would score that well if the tests were conducted only in English or another foreign language.

Also, in my experience, blacks tend to be more proficient in English than Asians and Latin Americans. I rarely encounter a black immigrant who can't speak English or is extremely hard to understand, unlike Latin and Asian immigrants. English tends to be widely spoken in black countries as an official language or a common second language or lingua franca. Meanwhile, if you go to a country like Japan or Brazil, hardly anyone will speak English, and those that do will be barely intelligible for the most part.

It seems clear that a higher IQ is a good predictor of future success, barring other factors.
But, what the hell, the world needs ditch diggers, too.

I had my IQ officially measured as a child and scored 130. I also scored in the 95th percentile in verbal intelligence. I've measured my own IQ since then by using IQ test textbooks and via online tests, but these generally aren't considered as reliable as official tests. FWIW, I've still consistently scored around 130. Unfortunately, my IQ is weighted towards verbal intelligence as opposed to visual-spatial. If it were the other way around, or if my visual-spatial intelligence were equally high, I'd probably be a lot richer.
The Weschler? My wife (fiancee at the time) was a child psychology major and got a copy of the WAIS. I took it and I also lean towards the verbal, within just around the same range as yours. Interesting.

My IQ is perfectly suited for my career choice, which is IT. I'm happy, not rich by any means, but satisfied with my lot.

The Weschler? My wife (fiancee at the time) was a child psychology major and got a copy of the WAIS. I took it and I also lean towards the verbal, within just around the same range as yours. Interesting.

My IQ is perfectly suited for my career choice, which is IT. I'm happy, not rich by any means, but satisfied with my lot.
Most likely, yes.

I really can't complain either. I live in a nice, safe area, close to the beach. And my home is fully paid for.

Most likely, yes.

I really can't complain either. I live in a nice, safe area, close to the beach. And my home is fully paid for.
LOL, mine too. It's nice isn't it?
I was able to cash in on some company stock while still living in San Jose, my wife got an inheritance, and we pooled it and bought a home in Gold country, up around Tahoe.
No beach, but lots of mountains and the lake is just down the road.
I want very badly to retire in Monterey, but it's a little too pricey.

Besides that, the biggest differences are in visual-spatial rather than verbal intelligence. Blacks are actually the only group in the US that score higher on verbal intelligence than visual-spatial. And IQ tests can be conducted in many languages. I doubt East Asians, who tend to not be proficient in foreign language, would score that well if the tests were conducted only in English or another foreign language.

Also, in my experience, blacks tend to be more proficient in English than Asians and Latin Americans. I rarely encounter a black immigrant who can't speak English or is extremely hard to understand, unlike Latin and Asian immigrants. English tends to be widely spoken in black countries as an official language or a common second language or lingua franca. Meanwhile, if you go to a country like Japan or Brazil, hardly anyone will speak English, and those that do will be barely intelligible for the most part.

That's very interesting I didnt know that.

Back