Interim Champs

Icemanbjj

White Belt
Reaction score
Would you consider the Interim strap equivalent to a regular belt? I personally look at the belts as both having the same meaning as long as the Interim title holder will defend the gold if their fellow champion isnt able to return soon enough.

I mean I do have to say that when you have guys like GSP and Cruz and Aldo who are almost always hurt makes you think that they could be stripped of their belts for not being able to defend them.

Brock Lesnar once said the interim belt is a "Make Believe" belt.

That's the only thing Brock said that I agreed.

To be the interim champ is to be like the substitute champ because the real champ is not around. It's like saying that you made it, but didn't quite made it. Everybody knows you have to beat the real champ to be the real champ. I don't believe fighters with the interim belt felt complete without having the real belt. I myself is a fighter (Boxer) and I never considered competing to get that fake gold or to be remembered as a interim champ. Nobody wants to be remembered as a substitute champ. It is worst than being called 2nd best.

Last edited:
I've been asking myself this personally. I've been slowly collecting autographs of all the UFC champions for a while now and honestly I put very little value in an interim champion. According to UFC and most other sources interim champs will appear listed side by side with undisputed champs. However I think I can finish my collection, without the interim champs, and say 'These are all the UFC champions'.

I consider it like a glorified number 1 contender, and if they defend the strap it's kind of like "back off the champ is mine when he returns" lol

Interim implies you are only champ because of extenuating cicumstances. Not cause you are the best. Its basically a number one contender belt. Respectable, but not AS respectable.

I agree with the first post. If it's defended, then it legitimizes it to some degree. But if it's like Condit's interim championship, then no. It was useless.

Interesting note; Randy beating Tito and GSP beating Serra are the only times an interim champ defeated reigning champ.

interm belts are a ticket to not clear out the division and maybe get a lucky punch and become champ aka the donkey punch champ

But if it's "defended" it's kinda weird because now you have two guy defending belts in the same division. Even though one of those guys is currently inactive, it's still confusing.

And like someone said earlier, it's just a #1 contender trophy. Which, come to think of it, is even more odd... The guy with the interim belt now has an obligation (potentially) to defend his #1 contender status. So if he loses, does the guy he lost to now get an "official" #1 contender spot?

In other words, interim belts = bad

An interim championship is a legitimate championship. You need a champion to keep the division in track, and if the regular champion is out for well over a year then you need a champion to keep the division moving. The regular champion earned the belt, so it's not just as simple a thing as, "If they can't defend the belt in a year, they should be stripped of it instead of having all this interim title bullshit!" The interim champion is treated as the champion, and look at it historically; can you honestly say that, when Nogueira beat Sylvia for the interim belt cuz' Couture was thinking about leaving the UFC, that he wasn't the UFC heavyweight champion? Or, in a more practical usage of the belt, when Frank Mir was still injured from the motorcycle accident and Arlovski beat Sylvia for the interim belt, then defended it and got promoted, can you honestly say that wasn't a proper use for the interim title?

Look at the Dominick Cruz situation, for another example. He was a dominant champion and went on a run that could have him vie for the title of BW GOAT, but an injury was going to keep him out of action for over a year, and considering how dominant he was and what he accomplished, it's not fair to him at all to strip him of the title, nor is it fiar to keep the division on hold for him, so an interim title was created. Then another injury is going to keep him out of action for close to 23 months (they strip you of the title after 24 months), and it's a definite possibility that something's going to happen to Cruz within that timeline that'll injure him and keep him from fighting for an additional couple months. Can you honestly say that an interim title is completely useless in this situation?

It's not a glorified #1 contenders spot at all, and it's not a make believe belt either. This isn't that hard to figure out. If it's like what Condit did, then yeah, it's kind of lame, but if you consider the fact that GSP had an approximate return date and it was only a couple months after Condit wanted to fight, then it's understandable why he wanted to wait. At that point it's like if he was the champion and there were three opponents that were all equally qualified for recieving a shot at his title, but he wanted to beat one of them more than any of the others, so why not wait the extra couple months to do it? Tito chose not to fight Chuck when he was the #1 contender, but did that cheapen the idea of the UFC LHW championship, or did it cheapen Tito's run as the UFC LHW champion? You can't blame the object for what someone that uses the object does with it.

An interim championship is a legitimate championship. You need a champion to keep the division in track, and if the regular champion is out for well over a year then you need a champion to keep the division moving. The regular champion earned the belt, so it's not just as simple a thing as, "If they can't defend the belt in a year, they should be stripped of it instead of having all this interim title bullshit!" The interim champion is treated as the champion, and look at it historically; can you honestly say that, when Nogueira beat Sylvia for the interim belt cuz' Couture was thinking about leaving the UFC, that he wasn't the UFC heavyweight champion? Or, in a more practical usage of the belt, when Frank Mir was still injured from the motorcycle accident and Arlovski beat Sylvia for the interim belt, then defended it and got promoted, can you honestly say that wasn't a proper use for the interim title?

Look at the Dominick Cruz situation, for another example. He was a dominant champion and went on a run that could have him vie for the title of BW GOAT, but an injury was going to keep him out of action for over a year, and considering how dominant he was and what he accomplished, it's not fair to him at all to strip him of the title, nor is it fiar to keep the division on hold for him, so an interim title was created. Then another injury is going to keep him out of action for close to 23 months (they strip you of the title after 24 months), and it's a definite possibility that something's going to happen to Cruz within that timeline that'll injure him and keep him from fighting for an additional couple months. Can you honestly say that an interim title is completely useless in this situation?
It's not a glorified #1 contenders spot at all, and it's not a make believe belt either. This isn't that hard to figure out. If it's like what Condit did, then yeah, it's kind of lame, but if you consider the fact that GSP had an approximate return date and it was only a couple months after Condit wanted to fight, then it's understandable why he wanted to wait. At that point it's like if he was the champion and there were three opponents that were all equally qualified for recieving a shot at his title, but he wanted to beat one of them more than any of the others, so why not wait the extra couple months to do it? Tito chose not to fight Chuck when he was the #1 contender, but did that cheapen the idea of the UFC LHW championship, or did it cheapen Tito's run as the UFC LHW champion? You can't blame the object for what someone that uses the object does with it.

Think about it. If the champ was stripped the fighters would be fighting for the actual title. Not an interim.

The meaning of the interim belt was lost to Carlos "I'll wait for GSP" Condit

I count it as real. The champion should always be ready to fight, in my opinion.

If they can't defend because they can't fight, they are basically forfeiting before even getting into the cage.

All interim champions should be recognised as champions in my book.

Another cool thing about the Interim title is that if you win it, it guarantees you the next shot against the injured champ as long as you don't lose it defending it.

I do agree that fighters feel the distinction between the two, Unless your Renan Barao :cool:

RenanBaraoEstherLinMMAFighting_crop_exact.jpg

I consider it like a glorified number 1 contender, and if they defend the strap it's kind of like "back off the champ is mine when he returns" lol

This. If interim champion has no intent of defending his title it's meaningless.

But if it's "defended" it's kinda weird because now you have two guy defending belts in the same division. Even though one of those guys is currently inactive, it's still confusing.

And like someone said earlier, it's just a #1 contender trophy. Which, come to think of it, is even more odd... The guy with the interim belt now has an obligation (potentially) to defend his #1 contender status. So if he loses, does the guy he lost to now get an "official" #1 contender spot?

In other words, interim belts = bad

Agreed.

Back