Ingredients In Foods

cartizel

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Do you spend time looking at the ingredients list to determine whether you're happy with certain foods being ingested? Or do you just pick up your regular shit and get on with it?

Bought a pack of Cheesy Doritos yesterday, flipped the bag and I was "blown" by all the shit that goes into making a thin triangular crisp (chip). Like, is all that shit necessary:

INGREDIENTS
Corn (Whole Maize Kernels), Sunflower Oil (14%), Rapeseed Oil, Tangy Cheese Flavour [Flavourings (from Milk), Whey Powder (From Milk), Wheat Flour (contains Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Cheese Powder (From Milk), Buttermilk Powder, Potassium Chloride, Flavour Enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate), Milk Protein, Dextrose, Acids (Lactic Acid, Citric Acid), Colours (Paprika Extract, Annatto, Plain Caramel), Spice, Sugar, Skimmed Milk Powder

So tell us - How much does it bother you nowadays?

There is now bottled water that is advertised as plain water, but has ingredients other than water. "Minerals added for flavor".........that was very odd to me. I thought it tasted strange and found the idea terrible; they are going to improve on water?

The purified water is then enhanced with a special blend of minerals for the pure, crisp, fresh taste that’s delightfully DASANI.

Like, is all that shit necessary:

INGREDIENTS
Corn (Whole Maize Kernels), Sunflower Oil (14%), Rapeseed Oil, Tangy Cheese Flavour [Flavourings (from Milk), Whey Powder (From Milk), Wheat Flour (contains Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Cheese Powder (From Milk), Buttermilk Powder, Potassium Chloride, Flavour Enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate), Milk Protein, Dextrose, Acids (Lactic Acid, Citric Acid), Colours (Paprika Extract, Annatto, Plain Caramel), Spice, Sugar, Skimmed Milk Powder
Probably not. You could make them from just corn and sunflower oil. I doubt anyone would enjoy them, however.

So tell us - How much does it bother you nowadays?
It doesn't.

Probably not. You could make them from just corn and sunflower oil. I doubt anyone would enjoy them, however.

You say that now as we're now accustomed to the taste. If it were corn, oil, cheese powder flavourings, salt and paprika from the start we wouldn't know any different, would we?

There is now bottled water that is advertised as plain water, but has ingredients other than water. "Minerals added for flavor".........that was very odd to me. I thought it tasted strange and found the idea terrible; they are going to improve on water?

The purified water is then enhanced with a special blend of minerals for the pure, crisp, fresh taste that

You say that now as we're now accustomed to the taste. If it were corn, oil, cheese powder flavourings, salt and paprika from the start we wouldn't know any different, would we?

Yes we would. Less umami and it wouldn't be commercially viable. I look at that list and it doesn't seem that bad

Focus groups in these companies sure know how to come up with weird concepts. Something are better left alone.

I have well water here in the country. If anyone wants to try added minerals in their water you can drink out of my hose. It smells like rotten eggs and will put hair on your chest.

I always read the back of labels. However, if something is really fucking good, they could put rat jizz in it and I'd still buy it.

cuz I like rat jizz

Don't really look, especially not at cheesy doritos. Surprised rat jizz isn't in there, tbh.

I work for the largest flavors and fragrance company in the world. The stigma is pretty silly honestly. Corn extract sounds so much better than dimethyl sulfide. extracts and naturals aren't necessarily better for you, the just sound less scary.

I wonder what goes through a person's head when they think to put carcinogenic food colorings in trail mix. Serves me right for buying trail mix at 7-eleven, but wtf.

76sFmcw.png

Always wondered what da fuq "soy lecithin" was.

No, I just look for the calories, macro-nutrients, servings, etc.

Once in awhile I'll look at the ingredient list if there's something I want to avoid

Look, I didn't read through all this shit but, I wouldn't stop eating Cheetos if it saved my mom's life.

I believe a lot of those ingredients, especially the 2nd half of them, are put in to create flavor consistency and preserve the flavoring and product while it sits on a shelf for however many years.

aspartame is in a lot of food, esp gum, and cadies. its supposed to be a mind control carcinogen type thing. oph well I talk to too many people to have kung fu kickin breath

An overall rule of thumb I've read is that the more ingredients you see, the more processed it is and the less healthy it is.

I've tried it out and it works pretty well. The real cheap, Parade brand stuff has a fuckton of ingredients. The more expensive stuff usually have shorter lists.

I work for the largest flavors and fragrance company in the world. The stigma is pretty silly honestly. Corn extract sounds so much better than dimethyl sulfide. extracts and naturals aren't necessarily better for you, the just sound less scary.

^^^^

Look everyone, here's the guy that's poisoning the world

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back