Incline benching and shoulder health

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Just destroyed my shoulder doing a 1rm on incline bench. This happen to anyone else? I've seen people do these and not touch the chest, wonder if that would have helped. Time for NSAIDs and prayer.

Yes inclines are a great exercise but notoriously can be bad for shoulders. For hypertrophy they should really be a staple movement.

Depending on if you can train or not a slight decline bench is great for bad shoulders.

Yes inclines are a great exercise but notoriously can be bad for shoulders. For hypertrophy they should really be a staple movement.

Depending on if you can train or not a slight decline bench is great for bad shoulders.
Yeah I think I'll swap it out of the max effort rotation and just do rep work with it. Hit 340lbs on a steep incline so I'm happy with it I guess.

Ive never been able to do incline bench without my shoulder hurting. Even when I was a teenager and had no shoulder issues, that movement still hurt
You could experiment with different heights on the incline and grip width. Also where you touch the bar on the chest seems to be a factor aswell. Alot of people do incline and lower the bar high up on their chest, my shoulders cant stand that. And when you touch the bar that high up, your elbows seem to flare aswell.
So a lower incline, closer grip and touching the bar lower on the chest, and keeping those elbows tucked in helps for me atleast.

Decline bench is garbage.

Why were you maxing out on incline?
Max effort upper. Their version of a seated OHP is a really high incline so I figured what was the harm is lowering it a notch and maxing. Apparently a lot of harm.

Dips are great to. A slight decline where you just prop the end of the bench up a bit is a shoulder saver and allows a training effect to take place even if it is an inferior exercise.

Is that for real or you are just trolling me?

I find it hard to believe you just jumped into your 1 RM
Oh, as I ramped up it started hurting after I got to 300lbs. Max was 340. I said both fuck it and YOLO and pressed on.

Oh, as I ramped up it started hurting after I got to 300lbs. Max was 340. I said both fuck it and YOLO and pressed on.
Incline is an assistance exercise for me and I generally keep it 8rpe or lower. Dumbell incline is also a little easier on the shoulders, but it can be tricky to get setup if youre moving big boy weights. I know youre running conjugate, but another thing to consider is there is value in doing tempo work with lighter weight.

Back