Incline benching and shoulder health

There's nothing inherently wrong with the movement, or even ramping up to a max, IMO. Intelligent programming, good technique, and adequate recovery are all it really takes(for a healthy lifter with no prexisting deficits). For every lifter who injures a shoulder incline pressing, there are a dozen who tear a pec or rotator cuff flat benching(yes, it is a more popular lift).

On a side note, start warming TS. Especially if you're training at/close to your 1RM.

Last edited:
I don't go above 80% on the incline bench. Risk vs reward at that point makes it not worth it. I'll do medium weight incline at the end of my workout just to get an extra pump.

Did close grip with a bench block stopping the bar 2 inches off the chest and it felt better. This was after maxing on the flat bench. Did a proper warm up today too

I agree with the legend Matt Wenning. Bring your arms in closer to make it more of a triceps exercise and you will last a lot longer! Also, eccentrics are key for tissue remodeling and injury prevention/rehab!

I agree with the legend Matt Wenning. Bring your arms in closer to make it more of a triceps exercise and you will last a lot longer! Also, eccentrics are key for tissue remodeling and injury prevention/rehab!
Matt is that you? I will join your patreon if its better than Conjugate Club.

No lol. I am James Ramsey, but I have talked with him on instagram. Also, I am more of a block periodization guy than conjugate!

No lol. I am James Ramsey, but I have talked with him on instagram. Also, I am more of a block periodization guy than conjugate!
conjugate is good, but I use block or DUP periodization with my athletes, but it depends on their circumstances.

conjugate is good, but I use block or DUP periodization with my athletes, but it depends on their circumstances.
SGrpT34Y3Y.png

Decline bench is garbage.
It's true, there's no muscle group that decline works that standard or incline doesn't already work. There's this misconception that somehow decline works "lower" chest but there really is not lower chest. Standard bench works the pectoralis minor and major just fine.

I would say that the main issue when it comes to shoulder pain while benching is shitty technique. Regardless of grip (as it affects work of chest vs tris only) the problem is the flaring of elbows throughout the range of motion really strains the shoulders.

It's true, there's no muscle group that decline works that standard or incline doesn't already work. There's this misconception that somehow decline works "lower" chest but there really is not lower chest. Standard bench works the pectoralis minor and major just fine.

Pec major is comprised of a sternal and clavicular head. Decline does indeed work the sternal head predominantly which is the "lower" chest as most people know it. It's pretty easy to isolate and differentiate the two. Your pec minor is doing some stabilization during benching but is far from a prime mover of the movement as its inserted on the scapula and not the humerus. Plus it's so lateral and deep that you can't even see it since it's buried beneath the pec major, it does very little to fill out your chest in general. There's no real misconception, just a lot of people that don't know their anatomy *cough cough*.

Last edited:
Hit 365lbs today for an approximate max, then 3x3 with 315lbs and 4x8 with 275lbs at the same angle, 45 degree incline. No shoulder pain. Maybe I just slept funny the day I made this thread.

anytime you feel shoulder strain or discomfort with dumbbells/barbells, stop, relax and stretch the shoulder. if you go back to the exercise after 10mins and feel pain, skip the chest/shoulder workout for the day, and work legs.

Back