In terms of character, who best represents MMA?

GSP, Fedor, Maia, Sakuraba, Sudo.

8sTp6vz.jpg

Felony Bennett

Cris Cyborg, Lyoto Machida, Fedor Emelianenko, Demian Maia, Rafael dos Anjos, Rose Namajunas, Demetrious Johnson, Kyoji Horiguchi, Stephen Thompson and a few others.

Last edited:
Any lists that dont include GSP at or near the top are made by salty losers. I think a lot of people on this forum dont like him because he is Canadian.

Any lists that dont include GSP at or near the top are made by salty losers. I think a lot of people on this forum dont like him because he is Canadian.
He’s been so good for so long & his character has been consistently classy. People want to find a “flaw” somewhere in him or his game.

Just finished watching RDA sub Kevin Lee. Not syaing he is "the" choice, but RDA would be a good choice. Humble, dedicated, skilled. Pretty awesome.

Are you asking which fighters best represents what MMA is or who best represents what it ought to be?

The latter is GSP, maybe Sakuraba. The first is Mike Perry, or maybe Josh Koscheck.

I'm just curious to see what kind of mindsets, personalities, and characters sherdog looks up to and respects. Who are the fighters that you think carry themselves thebest and represent the sport of MMA the best?

We all have different ideologies on what constitutes good character, so I expect diverse answers.

My answers:
Demian Maia
GSP
Arlovski's pretty good I think. Mostly for his personality.

Kazushi Sakuraba & George St Pierre.

Those are people you want young aspiring fighters to know.

GSP but a violent and intimidating personality would have been necessary too, I would have added Fedor or Cro Cop too.

Cormier as a realistic and charismatic person too

Are you asking which fighters best represents what MMA is or who best represents what it ought to be?

The latter is GSP, maybe Sakuraba. The first is Mike Perry, or maybe Josh Koscheck.

who best represent what you think it ought to be.

who best represent what you think it ought to be.
GSP is a great choice imo. I also think the immense mental and physical toughness of some of the earlier Japanese fighters like Sakuraba.

GSP. Always carried himself with class, never disgraced the sport.
Class? Yep. Never disgraced? I don't know, the loss to Captain America was pretty weak and it was probably his biggest mainstream exposure. He didn't even attempt any takedowns.

If we are grading skill, accomplishment, personality, contribution, overall marketability, lack of drama with the UFC
Most Representative: DC #1 and Dom Cruz #2 (both have/had belts, smart, funny, contribute more than just fighting by doing commentary, and over-all good role models)

Other good company men (in order)
GSP
Matt Huges
Anderson Silva
Cyborg
Thug Rose
Max
Cerrone
Chris Weidman
Stephen Thompson
Shevchenko
DJ
T-City
Robert Whittaker
Demian Maia
Rich Franklin
Cain
Gus
Big Roy Nelson

Exactly those two. And Fedor, I would say.

fedor and gsp

2 goats that are great role models

Back