Social In defense of rioting and looting

has happened since the dawn of civilization and always will. if you don't like it, that's fine, but it's not some new concept.

True, as has people fighting back to protect their stuff. Is it all okay by you, none of it, or just those with "less" taking from those with "more"? And if it's the last of those, what are the cutoffs? Like, it's okay for me and my highly trained friends with our advanced weapons to run missions to take what we want from those with a net worth over $25m maybe even though I already make a good living. But it's not okay for me to shoot people to protect my stuff from those who have less than me? What are the "rules" here, if there are any?

Here is a quote from the same article in defense of some violence;

Obviously, we object to violence on some level. But it's an incredibly broad category. As you pointed out, it can mean both breaking a window, lighting a dumpster on fire, or it can mean the police murdering Tamir Rice. That word is not strategically helpful. The word that can mean both those things cannot be guiding me morally.

There's actually a police tactic for this, called controlled management. Police say, "We support peaceful, nonviolent protesters. We are out here to protect them and to protect them from the people who are being violent." That's a police strategy to divide the movement. So a nonviolent protest organizer will tell the police their march route. Police will stop traffic for them. So you've got a dozen heavily armed men standing here watching you march. That doesn't make me feel safe. What about that is nonviolent? Activists themselves are doing no violence, but there is so much potential violence all around them.

Ultimately, what nonviolence ends up meaning is that the activist doesn't do anything that makes them feel violent. And I think getting free is messier than that. We have to be willing to do things that scare us and that we wouldn't do in normal, "peaceful" times, because we need to get free.

yes. i am.

Okay, makes sense. I'd do well in your world. I have an arsenal, actually know how to use it, and have a lot of friends that are the same.

I'm a domesticated guy in the burbs that's actually happy with the status quo of how things are right now, but if we switched to your world I'd be a 1%er ha ha.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...78/one-authors-argument-in-defense-of-looting

There is a book called “in defense of looting” by a transgender male to female named Vicky Osterweil, in which she claims that looting and rioting are legitimate forms of protest that send a strong message and lifts poor working class people up.

this radical idea has gained momentum amongst celebrities and intellectuals who feel that this is the best way for those feeling oppressed to have their voices heard. Amongst those feeling oppressed, many have stated this is simply reparations.

Here is a book review/description:
“A fresh argument for rioting and looting as our most powerful tools for dismantling white supremacy. Looting -- a crowd of people publicly, openly, and directly seizing goods -- is one of the more extreme actions that can take place in the midst of social unrest. Even self-identified radicals distance themselves from looters, fearing that violent tactics reflect badly on the broader movement. But Vicky Osterweil argues that stealing goods and destroying property are direct, pragmatic strategies of wealth redistribution and improving life for the working class -- not to mention the brazen messages these methods send to the police and the state. All our beliefs about the innate righteousness of property and ownership, Osterweil explains, are built on the history of anti-Black, anti-Indigenous oppression. From slave revolts to labor strikes to the modern-day movements for climate change, Black lives, and police abolition, Osterweil makes a convincing case for rioting and looting as weapons that bludgeon the status quo while uplifting the poor and marginalized. In Defense of Looting is a history of violent protest sparking social change, a compelling reframing of revolutionary activism, and a practical vision for a dramatically restructured society.”

Another book review that made me laugh my ass off is as follows: “two stars, I would have given it one, but it was a bargain as I stole it.”

Quotes from an interview:

It does a number of important things. It gets people what they need for free immediately, which means that they are capable of living and reproducing their lives without having to rely on jobs or a wage — which, during COVID times, is widely unreliable or, particularly in these communities is often not available, or it comes at great risk. That's looting's most basic tactical power as a political mode of action.

It also attacks the very way in which food and things are distributed. It attacks the idea of property, and it attacks the idea that in order for someone to have a roof over their head or have a meal ticket, they have to work for a boss, in order to buy things that people just like them somewhere else in the world had to make under the same conditions. It points to the way in which that's unjust. And the reason that the world is organized that way, obviously, is for the profit of the people who own the stores and the factories. So you get to the heart of that property relation, and demonstrate that without police and without state oppression, we can have things for free.

Importantly, I think especially when it's in the context of a Black uprising like the one we're living through now, it also attacks the history of whiteness and white supremacy. The very basis of property in the U.S. is derived through whiteness and through Black oppression, through the history of slavery and settler domination of the country. Looting strikes at the heart of property, of whiteness and of the police. It gets to the very root of the way those three things are interconnected. And also it provides people with an imaginative sense of freedom and pleasure and helps them imagine a world that could be. And I think that's a part of it that doesn't really get talked about — that riots and looting are experienced as sort of joyous and liberatory.”

he/she goes on to explain that the black own businesses that get destroyed are pet it the community and the community knows if those places are equitable-whether security follows them around and watches them, etc. then the discussion shifts to how glorious the looting of miracle mile was where the oppressed purposely picked the richest area to loot to fight the oppression of the rich and the inequitable property distribution.
Im going to wait to see what you're stalker has to say about this issue

This is not anything new.

"A riot is the language of the unheard." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

True, as has people fighting back to protect their stuff. Is it all okay by you, none of it, or just those with "less" taking from those with "more"? And if it's the last of those, what are the cutoffs?
people are obviously welcome to defend their property with their lives, and they will, because that is the culture we live in. products, belongings, property, brands & status. all are coveted in america more than happiness and human life.
Like, it's okay for me and my highly trained friends with our advanced weapons to run missions to take what we want from those with a net worth over $25m maybe even though I already make a good living. But it's not okay for me to shoot people to protect my stuff from those who have less than me? What are the "rules" here, if there are any?
defending property with lethal force is a byproduct of american greed, but under current circumstances, there isn't much else to live for in this country besides having a bunch of stuff. so i understand. just know that having all that stuff, in the middle of a place where no one has anything, could make you a target.

people are obviously welcome to defend their property with their lives, and they will, because that is the culture we live in. products, belongings, property, brands & status. all are coveted in america more than happiness and human life.

defending property with lethal force is a byproduct of american greed, but under current circumstances, there isn't much else to live for in this country besides having a bunch of stuff. so i understand. just know that having all that stuff, in the middle of a place where no one has anything, could make you a target.
Yeah because only in America do people protect their stuff, moron.

Okay, makes sense. I'd do well in your world. I have an arsenal, actually know how to use it, and have a lot of friends that are the same.

I'm a domesticated guy in the burbs that's actually happy with the status quo of how things are right now, but if we switched to your world I'd be a 1%er ha ha.

Anarchists want no government because they have some fantasy that they could do all the drugs they wanted for free and they could be fed and someone would provide for them-until they realize that they would be at the wrong end of a train while their family watches and anything of value is taken by the more violent in the non-society. But hey, someone will teach the violent people when everyone refuses to trade beads with them

Stuff has value, just needs to be kept in perspective. Something can have value but not be the MOST important thing. It's not all or nothing to those with some level of sanity.

its nothing new and will continue to happen during transition periods in human history. i dont support it though but almost no one does as this quote from your ts shows-- Even self-identified radicals distance themselves from looters, fearing that violent tactics reflect badly on the broader movement.

fact is identifying looters with the left is dishonest as most people on the left, even radicals, don't support it. on the other hand if people that are disenfranchised and not being listened to have a legitimate grievance they have the right as human beings to make themselves heard and if this is part of how they do it i cant say i know for sure they are wrong.

i am not convinced the biden admin would be listening and committed to taking action on this were it not for the looters making it a necessity.

bottom
line. looters should go to jail but society must address the police violence and corruption problem and i think protesters and a very small % of looters may have made that possible.

has happened since the dawn of civilization and always will. if you don't like it, that's fine, but it's not some new concept.

So is protecting you property and why laws like the one in Florida are passed.

Im not talking about the Politicians, I mean the SJW "scholars" teaching Critical Race Theory.
Politicians will jump on whatever bandwagon gets them the most votes.

Someone hurt them-maybe their rejection from society. Have you ever noticed they are all pretty ugly?

Rioting and looting can be a legitimate, last resort tactic, but it is not necessary in today's USA. What we are seeing is childish, spoiled, entitled, retards looking to make trouble. Activism and protest have become meaningless, empty fads.

Back