Social In defense of rioting and looting

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...78/one-authors-argument-in-defense-of-looting

There is a book called “in defense of looting” by a transgender male to female named Vicky Osterweil, in which she claims that looting and rioting are legitimate forms of protest that send a strong message and lifts poor working class people up.

this radical idea has gained momentum amongst celebrities and intellectuals who feel that this is the best way for those feeling oppressed to have their voices heard. Amongst those feeling oppressed, many have stated this is simply reparations.

Here is a book review/description:
“A fresh argument for rioting and looting as our most powerful tools for dismantling white supremacy. Looting -- a crowd of people publicly, openly, and directly seizing goods -- is one of the more extreme actions that can take place in the midst of social unrest. Even self-identified radicals distance themselves from looters, fearing that violent tactics reflect badly on the broader movement. But Vicky Osterweil argues that stealing goods and destroying property are direct, pragmatic strategies of wealth redistribution and improving life for the working class -- not to mention the brazen messages these methods send to the police and the state. All our beliefs about the innate righteousness of property and ownership, Osterweil explains, are built on the history of anti-Black, anti-Indigenous oppression. From slave revolts to labor strikes to the modern-day movements for climate change, Black lives, and police abolition, Osterweil makes a convincing case for rioting and looting as weapons that bludgeon the status quo while uplifting the poor and marginalized. In Defense of Looting is a history of violent protest sparking social change, a compelling reframing of revolutionary activism, and a practical vision for a dramatically restructured society.”

Another book review that made me laugh my ass off is as follows: “two stars, I would have given it one, but it was a bargain as I stole it.”

Quotes from an interview:

It does a number of important things. It gets people what they need for free immediately, which means that they are capable of living and reproducing their lives without having to rely on jobs or a wage — which, during COVID times, is widely unreliable or, particularly in these communities is often not available, or it comes at great risk. That's looting's most basic tactical power as a political mode of action.

It also attacks the very way in which food and things are distributed. It attacks the idea of property, and it attacks the idea that in order for someone to have a roof over their head or have a meal ticket, they have to work for a boss, in order to buy things that people just like them somewhere else in the world had to make under the same conditions. It points to the way in which that's unjust. And the reason that the world is organized that way, obviously, is for the profit of the people who own the stores and the factories. So you get to the heart of that property relation, and demonstrate that without police and without state oppression, we can have things for free.

Importantly, I think especially when it's in the context of a Black uprising like the one we're living through now, it also attacks the history of whiteness and white supremacy. The very basis of property in the U.S. is derived through whiteness and through Black oppression, through the history of slavery and settler domination of the country. Looting strikes at the heart of property, of whiteness and of the police. It gets to the very root of the way those three things are interconnected. And also it provides people with an imaginative sense of freedom and pleasure and helps them imagine a world that could be. And I think that's a part of it that doesn't really get talked about — that riots and looting are experienced as sort of joyous and liberatory.”

he/she goes on to explain that the black own businesses that get destroyed are pet it the community and the community knows if those places are equitable-whether security follows them around and watches them, etc. then the discussion shifts to how glorious the looting of miracle mile was where the oppressed purposely picked the richest area to loot to fight the oppression of the rich and the inequitable property distribution.

It also sends a bad message that, if you feel aggrieved for what ever reason, stealing things that don't belong to you is justified because of the "message" it sends. There's no messages being sent. Just a bunch of shit heads who want a new TV but don't want to pay for it.

Let's see..

These people have thus far justified racism...
Assaulting police officers and random drivers, church goers and restaurant patrons..
They are here justifying looting and destruction of private property.

I wonder what's next...rape? Or murder? To achieve a higher plane of "social justice "?

These people are sick

You can’t fix stupid.

However it’s just might be possible to defend yourself from it, in Florida anyway.

Sometimes you have to break some stuff to make your point.

be careful when you call for violence....you might just get it.

this.

no one listens until you hurt their wallet.

and by "their wallet" you mean the neighborhoods with a higer level of minority owned businesses and residence? Oh I guess you are one of them white liberals in your nice safe burbs who never lived in these areas.

Keep LARPing and crying your butthurt

I feel oppressed as fuck so Imma a take a porsche and those RACIST STRAIGHT MALE bastards at the dealership better not say shit about it.

Yup...this is exactly their mindset.

Nothing but under achieving failures at life.

Take a look at the two morons in this thread who actually agree with this...

Tells you everything you need to know

So it’s ok to break and steal others stuff because someone else might have done something to other people.
has happened since the dawn of civilization and always will. if you don't like it, that's fine, but it's not some new concept.

Sometimes you have to break some stuff to make your point.
Isn't it just cyclical oppression, though?

The people having their stuff stolen, and businesses broken into are being oppressed by the supposed oppressed. Most of these people have nothing to do with their grievances, and are innocent bystanders in the sea of idiocy going on right now.

Isn't it just cyclical oppression, though?

The people having their stuff stolen, and businesses broken into are being oppressed by the supposed oppressed. Most of these people have nothing to do with their grievances, and are innocent bystanders in the sea of idiocy going on right now.

Good point, but instead of being financially oppressed, they face actual violence from the looters.

It would be a real shame if the author or people supporting this just had all their stuff stolen. Bet they call the cops

Back