In 2008 we were contemplating Anderson vs cung le

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by bjpenngoat, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Brock Sapp Purple Belt

He is that good, that at 38 he can stay on top most guys would have succumbed much earlier.

Saying he lost in his prime proves post count here doesn't mean anything

TheSpider likes this.
  2. sangreporsangre Gold Belt

Does anyone remember the first Strikeforce after they got bought out by UFC, I think Mauro started talking about hypothetical fights that could happen between Strikefore and UFC fighters now and threw Anderson vs Cung out there. Well Frank Shamrock started making these high pitched retarded Bruce Lee type of hiiyaaaa sounds lmao. It was really bizarre and cringe-worthy.

3. Bluesbreaker Black Belt

You're talking about the Rumble on the Rock tournament? Their weight limit was 175lb. Andy and Okami looked like AIDS patients at the weigh ins.

4. mkt Gold Belt

Maybe so, but he was almost 40. Just a slight drop in reflexes can be the difference in a KO and a glancing blow that does little damage.

5. mkt Gold Belt

Your name on here is perfect. That's about how serious anyone should take your drivel.

pankrat likes this.
  6. dildos Steel Belt

i liked the part of this post where you actually responded and proved anything i said to be wrong.

7. Blayt7hh Steel Belt

Some people thought Cung would win. Most people thought Anderson would win. Don’t oversell it

8. Blayt7hh Steel Belt

Look, you just don’t understand lighting bro

Klaavical likes this.
  9. Perrichet Arteta is a fraud

Well Anderson was in his physical prime when he got tapped out by those 3 cans in PRIDE. One had a 4-7 record going into the fight

Ghostoftheville likes this.
  10. Klaavical Black Belt

And angles?

Blayt7hh likes this.
  11. Perrichet Arteta is a fraud

Well done confirming what I already knew

12. Blayt7hh Steel Belt

GSP haters are so derpy it cracks me up. But also, makes me a little sad for them being so angry and stupid

Perrichet and Ghostoftheville like this.
  13. BigDramaShow26 Brown Belt

Le was awesome. I stumbled upon him on ESPN 2 as a kid in what was kick boxing I think? When I saw him show up on Strikeforce years later, I was pleasantly surprised. He didn't join into his mid 30s right? He still has a couple good wins.

14. pankrat Black Belt

That's some sherdog broscience eye test dude.
    They had as much problems and looked as depleted as so many MWs did to make 185. Rockhold, Muñoz, Romero - just to name a few - looked even worse to make the weight 10lbs heavier.

Okami in his year debut in UFC (same year) walked around at 190, he put mass on his frame through the years but no, it wasn't such a massive weight cut doesnt mater what your brosciene eye test tells you.

Here it is the weight in for that tournament. Silva looks just fine, lanky as he always was at that point in his career but smiling and not even specially depleted compared to so many other weightcutters that we see regularly:

15. GrantB13 Black Belt

Yes. But as I've argued before, prime does not mean unbeatable. Prime means best and Silva was not his best in the last couple fights leading up to Weidman.

Ghostoftheville and TheSpider like this.
  16. chupacabra5 White Belt

Surely in MMA your prime is when you’re at your best. That will depend on your training to some extent.

TheSpider likes this.
  17. mmadeewana Yellow Card Yellow Card

would have been a good fight but i wanted Luke vs AS more

18. Bluesbreaker Black Belt

You conveniently neglected to mention the weight limit for this tournament. Did you watch with the sound on?

19. pankrat Black Belt

Hey dude, do you want to make any argument around those 5lbs or you are just pretending some kind of online moral victory? Same with the question you ask me, where do you want to get with it, what's your point?

Anderson and Okami had a pretty large frame but weren't really big MWs, specially back then when they barely worked the weight room (and probably before PEDs in Silva's case)
    A really big MW as Rockhold, Muñoz, Romero among many others could not make 175lbs, much less at 30 y.o. They just can't. And if they do, they would look absolutely depleted, not like Silva or Yushin look in that video.

There is also reports from back then about the walk around weight of both of them, which wasnt above 200lbs, which again shows they weren't really that "big" of a MWs

Not to mention Okami has fought almost half of his career at WW, even in his late 30s, and Silva fough as low as at 168lbs in Shooto

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  20. Ghostoftheville Brown Belt

To an extent, yes, but are we honestly arguing that an athlete isn't at his physical prime at 28 when you have a better understanding of how you move, your speed and reflexes before they begin to recede due to age. When you've gained enough experience to have "fight I.Q.". When you're still young enough to learn the new tricks and improve from a loss but not so worn down that even a mild injury can cause a permanent physical change, obviously that is part of an athlete's prime