im unimpressed with Gaethje

That's not really fair to say. When he finished Tony I think most people would have said Tony is elite. Maybe there's an argument to be made that he never was but during his time the general consensus was that he is an elite LW
Tony was washed at that point already

Some of yall have a difficulty seeing things deeper than wins and losses

Nah Tony was old and washed up regardless, that was just the first fight he showed it

Also Tony killed himself to make weight that fight

hey now. i agree tony was overrated and past his expiration date. but not by much, and justin absolutely annihilated him. it was also the way he did it, because justin was much more patient and technical than he had been in previous fights.

the problem with justin is his gas tank. apparently he’s pretty well conditioned too, so it might be something he can’t work on, like a mental or neurological thing. but when he’s on, he’s a great balance between power and technique, aggression and patience. always love watching him.

hey now. i agree tony was overrated and past his expiration date. but not by much, and justin absolutely annihilated him. it was also the way he did it, because justin was much more patient and technical than he had been in previous fights.

the problem with justin is his gas tank. apparently he’s pretty well conditioned too, so it might be something he can’t work on, like a mental or neurological thing. but when he’s on, he’s a great balance between power and technique, aggression and patience. always love watching him.
Yeah it's tough to know how good Tony was at the time, he had a really bad weight cut and has lost every fight since then badly

Tony just looked shit in the fight tbh

Not saying Justin is bad or anything, I think he could be champ if things go his way, LW is a toss-up

Tony was washed at that point already

Some of yall have a difficulty seeing things deeper than wins and losses
Well I never gave my opinion one way or another so I don’t really see how you can say that about me? But yeah, pretty sure I acknowledged that there is an argument to be made that he never was elite.

Well I never gave my opinion one way or another so I don’t really see how you can say that about me? But yeah, pretty sure I acknowledged that there is an argument to be made that he never was elite.
You said the general consensus at the time was Tony is elite

In hindsight we can see Tony was already past his prime at that point

Terrible take...Justin turned Tony into the brain dead zombie he is now..That beating effectively ended Tony's career.
Brutal leg injury requiring surgery was his downfall..... he clearly didnt move the same in the Pettis fight.... that mattered.

I texted Justin and he said to say you're a cunt

Reactions: G10
Tony wasn't a corpse when Justin fought him

Justin took his soul with that beatdown

Na, Tony was definitely on the decline. I even thought after the Pettis fight that Tony scraped through that Tony was on borrowed time. Add in an extra unnecessary weight cut and its not all that impressive by Justin, I think everyone in the top 10 would have beaten Tony that night.

You said the general consensus at the time was Tony is elite

In hindsight we can see Tony was already past his prime at that point
You’re probably right but I’m just saying at the time most people would have said Tony was elite going into the fight with Gaethje, which is why it was for an interim belt and Gaethje ultimately got the title shot afterward.

Also the general consensus =/= my opinion.

Na, Tony was definitely on the decline. I even thought after the Pettis fight that Tony scraped through that Tony was on borrowed time. Add in an extra unnecessary weight cut and its not all that impressive by Justin, I think everyone in the top 10 would have beaten Tony that night.
Most people just google Tony Ferguson Sherdog, see Tony was on a win streak, and then claim it was prime Tony because he hadn't lost yet lol

I didn't know that

Bad judging lol, Khabib dominated that round, Justin landed some solid leg kicks, but clearly Khabib's round
Depends on what you prefer. Khabib had the pressure, which I usually like, but Gaethje was on point in Round 1. That footwork looked like some MMA version of Dance Dance Revolution.

If you look at stats - landed is dead even in R1 - but when you're a judge and most of what you see is Khabib running around aimlessly, missing and getting tagged by Justin's aesthetic leg kicks - it's very easy to get bamboozled thinking Gaethje's doing better.

http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/59eea37af7efb06c

I personally don't have an issue with anyone leaning either way, but bottom line: Gaethje won the scorecards. The only guy to do it within the rules - no groin shots, cage grabbing, short holding and so on.

Here's the free fight for reference, by the way:

It was close, but I gave Khabib the round based on aggression. It was actually pretty cool to watch Khabib move forward against such a dangerous guy.
Yes, just in general, Khabib marching into a buzzsaw without hesitation was the best part of his career. Against Edson, for example, you give him space - you lose. But you have to fight all of your preservation instincts to march forward and Khabib had zero issues doing that. Madman.

Depends on what you prefer. Khabib had the pressure, which I usually like, but Gaethje was on point in Round 1. That footwork looked like some MMA version of Dance Dance Revolution.

If you look at stats - landed is dead even in R1 - but when you're a judge and most of what you see is Khabib running around aimlessly, missing and getting tagged by Justin's aesthetic leg kicks - it's very easy to get bamboozled thinking Gaethje's doing better.

http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/59eea37af7efb06c

I personally don't have an issue with anyone leaning either way, but bottom line: Gaethje won the scorecards. The only guy to do it within the rules - no groin shots, cage grabbing, short holding and so on.

Here's the free fight for reference, by the way:

Yes, just in general, Khabib marching into a buzzsaw without hesitation was the best part of his career. Against Edson, for example, you give him space - you lose. But you have to fight all of your preservation instincts to march forward and Khabib had zero issues doing that. Madman.

He was running around because Justin was running away, Justin looked uncomfortable af and gassed by the end of the round he was running, and overexerting himself so much. Imo that's just shitty judging

Conor actually won the round against Khabib clearly and didn't cheat in that round hahaha don't take a shot at Connie

Yeah it's tough to know how good Tony was at the time, he had a really bad weight cut and has lost every fight since then badly

Tony just looked shit in the fight tbh

Not saying Justin is bad or anything, I think he could be champ if things go his way, LW is a toss-up

i had been following tonys career since around the time his hype train started rolling. and tbh i just was not impressed. sloppy but effective against mediocre or declining opposition is how i’d describe it, and of course very determined (which tbf is very important). he just never looked like an elite fighter to me. so the fact that he put together a nice streak with a few names never really sold me that he was a threat to the top of the division. i viewed him as overrated. sure the weight cut did not help him.

justin was kinda the opposite. i thought he was gonna be some overhyped clown when landed in ufc, but he showed discipline and i saw marked improvements in his standup each fight. he began to look more and more like a champion caliber fighter. his losses all had asterisks in his favor. so i viewed him as underrated overall, at least based on his record.

so when they fought, i kinda expected something like the way it went. tony just isn’t a champion level fighter. justin is, potentially. and based on olives fight against chandler, i think justin beats them both.

He was running around because Justin was running away, Justin looked uncomfortable af and gassed by the end of the round he was running, and overexerting himself so much. Imo that's just shitty judging

Conor actually won the round against Khabib clearly and didn't cheat in that round hahaha don't take a shot at Connie
I think there should be a distinction between running away and moving away. What Gus does and what Overeem did vs Stipe is running away, Gaethje moves out of the way - like how he dodged that flying knee - and gets back to the center, he doesn't just run away to wherever. It's more of a reset.

The only guy to win a round from Khabib fair and square. First guy to absolutely son Tony. Has heart for days, walks through wars - even the guys he loses to (aside from Khabib) leaves them not feeling like winners, physically.

You goof troops just have too high standards for everyone.

That said, I hate eye pokes the most and, yeah, he poked both Doostin and Edson and I'm not 100% sure if by accident.
Laughs in Gleison Tibao

I think there should be a distinction between running away and moving away. What Gus does and what Overeem did vs Stipe is running away, Gaethje moves out of the way - like how he dodged that flying knee - and gets back to the center, he doesn't just run away to wherever. It's more of a reset.
He's constantly backing up, kinda like Condit vs Diaz, except worse

If he outstruck Khabib it'd be different, but also its kinda hard for me to ignore the fact that Justin was fighting at a pace he couldn't keep for even 3 rounds, maybe I shouldn't take that into account when judging the round

Back