Foulsmeller**

Bench: 275
Deadlift: 485
Squat:250

Lat pull down: Body weight plus 50 pounds X12
Chinup:6

2 mile run: 14:45
5 mile run:36:55

I think your squat is due to either poor form, or weak quadriceps and/or glutes(in proportion to the rest of your body).

How many pullups can you do? chinups work biceps more than wide arm pullups.

Pulldown machine weight doesn't equate to the weight your pulling up on a chinup bar, i.e. on the machine you can use your lower body to help pull down the weight, as your legs are underneath the bar.

man tat sqaut is pants, being as ur deadlift is so much higher it must be down to your form

I was about to ask if you weighed like 150lbs until I saw the deadlift.

dayam son

I weight about that.
That said all I like to do is squat, run and hit pads...so....

My guess... something is wrong with your squat form. The cure? spend more time under the bar squatting.

lat pulldowns are infinitely easier than pullups. and "Don't Jog" - Dan John.

Urban said:
My guess... something is wrong with your squat form. The cure? spend more time under the bar squatting.

lat pulldowns are infinitely easier than pullups. and "Don't Jog" - Dan John.

HA HA HA.
I'm sort of in the Army, so I kinda have to run from time to time :)

I think some of it is mental. When I deadlift, I attack the bar. I'm thinking about it all day. I love to deadlift.
When I squat I'm dreading it all day. I know I'm going to be so damn sore the next day I cant do much.

I'm also a nut when it comes to squat form. I REFUSE to add load if I feel my form is off. For some reason I have this mental thing about risking my knees..but I'll get under a bench load that I know is around my max and attack it like a dog on a stripper. I guess I dont mind risking my shoulders and elbows..

Foulsmeller said:
HA HA HA.

I think some of it is mental. When I deadlift, I attack the bar. I'm thinking about it all day. I love to deadlift.
When I squat I'm dreading it all day. I know I'm going to be so damn sore the next day I cant do much.

I think you and I are really the same person but with everything else different except for our views on squats.

Two things that have helped me are pause squats and the obligatory box squats (Below parallel) but I feel your pain. Squats and I just aren't friends.

Squats are fun to me and I'm not really "built to squat" being tall and long torsoed. However, what helped me the most was widening my stance A LOT! Pretending to spread the floor with your feet definitely helps too by keeping the pressure on the outsides of your feet and keeping the knees apart.

Also, don't do those super-slow squats you see the pumpers doing; get down there and explode out of the hole and you'll be amazed by how much you can increase your squat with just these few modifications.

I hate squatting with a firey passion. My squat has been going up fairly consistently as of late, but I can still only do 325 while my deadlift is at 435. When I pulled four plates for the first time, I had trouble squatting two. Like everyone else said, it really comes down to spending more time with the bar on your back. When I'm squatting, all I can think about is how sore my legs are going to be the next day when I'm training, so I really have to kick myself in the ass to word hard at it.

As for the lat pulldown thing, there is a huge difference between using a machine and doing chinups or pullups. I was at the gym yesterday and did 265 for 5, and I still can't do more than 6 or 7 pullups at a bodyweight around 180ish. It's like the difference between squatting and leg pressing.

Ya, on the pullup thing I can sympathize. However, I notice a huge difference in my back development when doing them versus pulldowns.

When I squat, all I think about is I can't wait untill the next day. To feel those sore ass legs. But honestly for me I usually don't feel the leg workout untill two days later.

my ratios are simliar to yours (but less total wieght)
i think one of the reasons for that (for me personally)
is that i squat very deep.
back in the day when i used to squat shallower
then ratios were more 'correct'
maybe thats the thing ? ? ?

my shits pretty fucked up as well man, but im workign to correct that, i weigh between 185-190

bench 305
squat probably only 275
deadlift probably 375
i can do like 14 wide grips as well

but i dont, ive train legs seriously i think that i just need to suck it up and keep adding weight
im not worried about getting sore, i just dont think i can do the weight, but ive started putting weight on my squats, i did 3x10 with 185 on below parellel box squats, so i think they are gettting better

Foulsmeller said:
HA HA HA.

Just tell them next time that you can't jog because some guy on the internet said you shouldn't. :D

Sonny said:
Just tell them next time that you can't jog because some guy on the internet said you shouldn't. :D

My unit is so soft that might work :)

I hate squats too. My legs absolutly kill the next day. I can squat over 400, which really isn't that great considering I weight 225, but I hate them. HOwever, that being said, doing box squats def. helped with my explosiveness and my numbers went up. They can't hurt so give them a try. P.S, I did 225x15sets of 2 with a 20 sec rest between sets, (front squats). I did these on monday and my quads still ache. Anyone know of a way to get rid of the pain quicker. I work manual labor while im in school and It sucks running around and carrying shit when the muscles in my legs feel like they are going to tear.

even though im new to lifting, i've had to deal with the same thing. you just have to really attack it and enjoy it. see it as a challenge and dont be scared of it. one of the things that helped me get over the fear is that we squat with a rack at the bottom so if you want you can always drop the weight. at the start i did it alot, but recently started fighting it and really going for it at the bottom. also, try some light squatting at the end of every workout. even though it might hinder your gains, it really taught me how to squat better and feel more comfortable with the weight. eventually, increasing the weight.

somehow you just have to turn it into something you enjoy, and see it as good challenge. thats what has worked for me.

Back