I'm sorry, who exactly has Fitch beaten in the top 10?

Thiago Alves is a good win. For sure. Fitch is at least top 10 in the division. But other than Alves, whose position in the division is questionable now, Fitch hasn't beaten anyone in top 10. Oh, he had a great win streak. So did Jason Reinhardt.

Are you saying that a draw with a punching-bag BJ (I love BJ, but let's not pretend that Fitch fought the same Penn that brutalized Sanchez) is worth more than beating the tarr out of BJ and defeating him decisively? Let's not forget Fitch got outwrestled by the smaller Penn in the first 2 rds of that fight. Is a back-and-forth grapplefest with Sanchez in which many feel Sanchez should have gotten the nod any more impressive than knockout of Paul Daley for the first time ever? Are ho-hum decisions over Ben Saunders, Akihiro Gono, and Chris Wilson worth that more than decisions over Marius Zaromskis, Hayato Sakura, and Evangelista Santos?

Erick Silva was solid as a win. But even he was and is an unproven commodity.

I'm not completely discrediting Fitch. I would probably bet on Fitch against Kampmann and Penn. But let's not pretend not like he's some WW jauggernaut until he records wins against great wrestlers in the division such as Ellenberger, Koscheck, Hendricks (re-match), DHK and even a WW incarnation of Maia

Please find the nearest wall and run head first into it . By the way sanchez and paulo thiago were ranked top 10 if memory serves me correct.

He only lost twice in his 7 years in the UFC racking up 14 wins. Pretty sure he's fought the top guys. AFAIK Alves is also in the top 10 when he fought him the 2nd time

well, you're wrong. he never fought koscheck, ellenberger, macdonald, condit, dhk, kampmann, hughes, shields, etc.

LOL, so your saying that is Fitch didnt beat Alves, he hasnt beat anyone in the top 10?

But he did beat Alves.

He steamrolled Alves.

The way top ten wins work is you judge if the person was top 10 at the time, not if they still are. TS, you have much to learn.

Hendricks knocked him out, so what do Diaz fans say to that? Hendricks is so clearly ahead of Nick as a contender it is a joke. Nick needs to beat one of the last four guys Hendricks has beaten, at least that way he would be coming in off of a win.

Minor gripe (other than the thread being dumb), Zaromskis got TKO'd did he not?

Without taking time to pull up old rankings, the fighters who were in the top ten when Fitch defeated them are as follows: Thiago Alves, Diego Sanchez and Paulo Thiago.

Other notable performances by Fitch that cement his elite status are his victories Mike Pierce (someone who I recall cracking some time after the Fitch fight), Erick Silva (a very dangerous prospect) and a dominanting performance in the third round against BJ Penn - a former WW champ and a P4P great - in a fight that was scored a draw but could have easily gone Fitch's way.

here is a list of every fighter to have ever been in either the top ten or the "other contendors" part of Sherdog's welterweight rankings (please note that Fitch and the opponent may not have been both in the top ten when they fought each other)

Georges St-Pierre
Josh Koscheck
Jon Fitch
Diego Sanchez
Thiago Alves
Jake Shields
Matt Hughes
Matt Serra
Karo Parisyan
Carlos Condit
Paulo Thiago
Nick Thompson
Marcus Davis
Dan Hardy
Jay Hieron
Mike Swick
Martin Kampmann
Dan Hornbuckle
Paul Daley
Marius Zaromskis
Jake Ellenberger
Nick Diaz
Ben Askren
Jon Hathaway
Mike Pyle
B.J. Penn
Dong-Hyun Kim
Rick Story
Charlie Brenneman
Johny Hendricks
Rory MacDonald
Tyron Woodley
Anthony Johnson
Mike Pierce
Erick Silva
Nate Marquardt
Demian Maia
Shinya Aoki

Fitch is 6-3-1 (0) against these guys with an upcoming fight scheduled against Demian Maia
his wins are Alves (X2), Pierce, Thiago, Sanchez and Silva
his losses are to GSP, Hendricks and Pyle
he drew with BJ Penn

here is a list of every fighter to have ever been in either the top ten or the "other contendors" part of Sherdog's welterweight rankings (please note that Fitch and the opponent may not have been both in the top ten when they fought each other)

Georges St-Pierre
Josh Koscheck
Jon Fitch
Diego Sanchez
Thiago Alves
Jake Shields
Matt Hughes
Matt Serra
Karo Parisyan
Carlos Condit
Paulo Thiago
Nick Thompson
Marcus Davis
Dan Hardy
Jay Hieron
Mike Swick
Martin Kampmann
Dan Hornbuckle
Paul Daley
Marius Zaromskis
Jake Ellenberger
Nick Diaz
Ben Askren
Jon Hathaway
Mike Pyle
B.J. Penn
Dong-Hyun Kim
Rick Story
Charlie Brenneman
Johny Hendricks
Rory MacDonald
Tyron Woodley
Anthony Johnson
Mike Pierce
Erick Silva
Nate Marquardt
Demian Maia
Shinya Aoki

Fitch is 6-3-1 (0) against these guys with an upcoming fight scheduled against Demian Maia
his wins are Alves (X2), Pierce, Thiago, Sanchez and Silva
his losses are to GSP, Hendricks and Pyle
he drew with BJ Penn

how many of them were consensus top tens when fitch fought them; how many of them are currently top ten?

he's also 2-1-1 (0) against fighters who have at one point been on Sherdog's p4p top ten (Alves X2, GSP, Penn)

how many of them were consensus top tens when fitch fought them; how many of them are currently top ten?
no clue, concensus is pretty subjective
current top ten IDK, check if you want (though I would say it's more important to have a win against somebody who was top ten/"other contendors" at the time)

Thiago Alves is a good win. For sure. Fitch is at least top 10 in the division. But other than Alves, whose position in the division is questionable now, Fitch hasn't beaten anyone in top 10. Oh, he had a great win streak. So did Jason Reinhardt.

Are you saying that a draw with a punching-bag BJ (I love BJ, but let's not pretend that Fitch fought the same Penn that brutalized Sanchez) is worth more than beating the tarr out of BJ and defeating him decisively? Let's not forget Fitch got outwrestled by the smaller Penn in the first 2 rds of that fight. Is a back-and-forth grapplefest with Sanchez in which many feel Sanchez should have gotten the nod any more impressive than knockout of Paul Daley for the first time ever? Are ho-hum decisions over Ben Saunders, Akihiro Gono, and Chris Wilson worth that more than decisions over Marius Zaromskis, Hayato Sakura, and Evangelista Santos?

Erick Silva was solid as a win. But even he was and is an unproven commodity.

I'm not completely discrediting Fitch. I would probably bet on Fitch against Kampmann and Penn. But let's not pretend not like he's some WW jauggernaut until he records wins against great wrestlers in the division such as Ellenberger, Koscheck, Hendricks (re-match), DHK and even a WW incarnation of Maia

Sanchez ... Paulo thiago ... Thiago alves ... And erick silva

he's also 2-1-1 (0) against fighters who have at one point been on Sherdog's p4p top ten (Alves X2, GSP, Penn)

how about putting his fights against alves in context?

there first fight:

both were relatively new to the ufc. alves had fitch down, he was trying to land some gnp, and he ran into an upkick, face first. it was a bit of a fluke, and one of alves's now common mental lapses. good for fitch that he caught him, but let's not act like he was dominating alves in that fight.

second fight:

alves had been out for about a year and a half. he was coming back from brain surgery where he had a tumor removed. going into the fight he was in such bad shape he couldn't even make weight and was badly dehydrated. in the fight itself, fitch did his usual of just grabbing onto his opponent and refusing to let go. alves managed to reverse position a couple of times, but once again he blundered. this time instead of holding top position he stood up to try and strike only to get taken down again. he ended up losing a lackluster decision.

no clue, concensus is pretty subjective
current top ten IDK, check if you want (though I would say it's more important to have a win against somebody who was top ten/"other contendors" at the time)

consensus is not subjective at all. right now there is no question that guys like gsp, hendricks, diaz, condit, fitch, and kampmann are top ten.

Back