• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Illegal streams of UFC PPVs potentially costing fighters millions in payouts per PPV

This is not a new argument and I'll just say the same thing I always say when it pops up

The UFC reinvests the smallest % of revenue back into fighter payroll of any major sports league/promotion.

This isn't the fans fault, its the corporate shitstains

Streaming has nothing to do with it. Anyone who thinks that is having a boomer moment and doesn't understand how the internet works. People who pirate are doing so because they can't afford $79.99 for a few hours of entertainment, but still want to keep up with the product. Not because they can and are just choosing to be cheap. Shut the piracy down and they aren't magically going to start forking over that money, they'll just stop watching, or divert to watching clips after the fights happen. Piracy actually helps live media because it creates more buzz and word of mouth and indirectly boosts sales, where as if you cut off everyone who watches without paying the threads would be half the size, the social media likes half as many, etc.

Its just not worth it, we are all watching these cards for the 20 minute fight at the end, its not worth 70$

and the tatted up manlets and wmma fights are not a value add at all

I don't know how many people illegally stream PPVs but there is a estimate that 100 million+ people illegally watched Mayweather vs McGregor. Mayweather-McGregor fight most pirated in history (yahoo.com)

Given, that the amount of PPV buys for Mayweather McGregor did around 5 million, you could try to apply a 20X multiple to amount of illegal streams.

That's a lot of money left off the table, even if UFC fighters are only getting 15%-20% of revenue, having revenue jump by increasing PPV buys by that much would substantially increase PPV buy.

Obviously, not all illegal streamers will buy the PPV, so it's hard to determine how many will pay, but I'd bet it'd be enough people to make a dent in fighter pay.

How much do you think illegal streams are costing fighters in terms of their share of the revenue?

If all illegal streams stopped, do you think fighters would at least double their pay?
Literally pulled numbers out your ass, covered in excrement. And others sports and forms of entertainment, from music to movies get illegally streamed. Yet they still get paid . FOH with this myopic made up nonsense.
Either you follow a financially poorly run organization and/or corrupt one. But this illegal stream nonsense is corny, college athletes are getting paid now FFS , with illegal streaming going on.

Streaming has nothing to do with it. Anyone who thinks that is having a boomer moment and doesn't understand how the internet works. People who pirate are doing so because they can't afford $79.99 for a few hours of entertainment, but still want to keep up with the product. Not because they can and are just choosing to be cheap. Shut the piracy down and they aren't magically going to start forking over that money, they'll just stop watching, or divert to watching clips after the fights happen. Piracy actually helps live media because it creates more buzz and word of mouth and indirectly boosts sales, where as if you cut off everyone who watches without paying the threads would be half the size, the social media likes half as many, etc.
Piracy is theft and any adult should be able to afford the cost if they want to watch. I know plenty who pirate to stick it to the man. Frankly, I'm embarrassed for them

Back