"If you're a true fan of the sport..."

some people are fans of 'aspects' of the sport and not the sport itself. they should embrace that and not get uppity when it is pointed out.

If you do not like defense or the running game in football but love when they air it out and throw are you truly a fan of football or an aspect of the sport? Does you watching the games, loving when they throw it but complaining constantly when they don't make you a fan of the sport simply because you tune in and watch? No.

To be a fan of the sport you actually have to like the SPORT. Some are fans of brawls within MMA or striking or whatever but truly not fans of the first M in MMA and that is key to MMA.

some people are fans of 'aspects' of the sport and not the sport itself. they should embrace that and not get uppity when it is pointed out.

If you do not like defense or the running game in football but love when they air it out and throw are you truly a fan of football or an aspect of the sport? Does you watching the games, loving when they throw it but complaining constantly when they don't make you a fan of the sport simply because you tune in and watch? No.

To be a fan of the sport you actually have to like the SPORT. Some are fans of brawls within MMA or striking or whatever but truly not fans of the first M in MMA and that is key to MMA.

You can be a fan of football and still think jags vs browns is a shitty game. Sure you can appreciate the browns defense but come on...are you really excited for that game?

Maia vs Shields its a great fight,and Maia ground game its just classic music,if you dont enjoy that,just turn and take a nap,cause you aint a true fan of the sport.
Just my condescending way to tell what i honestly think.

Love to elite grapplers going at it - the issue is when one elite grappler LnP / grapplefucks a non elite grappler.

Maia over Fitch - intriguing even though it wasn't entertaining to my flatmate.

Still, I kind of get what the guy is saying, although any statement like that (assuming your opinion is the only opinion) is douchey - people like MMA for many different reasons.

Not that I believe your little story actually happened, but I don't expect this fight to go to the ground. Boring kickboxing match is what I expect. Hope I'm wrong.

However, if you're not excited about a fight on the ground between these two, I'd say you should watch boxing/kickboxing instead.

LOL. Maia is boring? You can't be serious.

If you don't like 2 high level grapplers trying to submit each other you better go watch kickboxing, MT or boxing.

take it your the aussie.

I remember someone saying on here that if you don't like watching GSP fight then don't watch MMA. One of the dumbest things I've ever read. So I guess if you don't appreciate GSP's amazing performances, then you can't love any aspect of the sport. Forget watching these other amazing fighters putting on fights you enjoy, because if you don't like GSP, you're watching it for the wrong reasons. Anyway, I reckon you don't have to like everything about it, just like what you want. But if someone does say shit like only true fans enjoy watching this part of the sport, like say GSP fight, then I can't say I'm a true fan. If that's the definition of a true fan, then sure as hell I'm not a true fan.

I think most people assume that if someone finds grappling boring, they think the person doesn't respect how difficult it is.

I don't understand the finer points of grappling but I still respect all the hard work that goes into it and respect top tier grapplers. Do I find grappling matches exciting? Not really but I respect the fighters who are the best at it.

I love football, but watching a 0-3 defensive struggle with no offense isn't fun or entertaining to me. Same way I love MMA, but watching two guys roll around for 3-5 rounds isn't entertaining to me. I like grappling when it leads to GnP or submissions, but simply fighting for position isn't enough for me.

You probably won't watch the whole fight because you think it will be boring. You're a true fan.

I could be salty, or a douche. Wouldn't be the first time.

I just take exception to "If you're a true fan of the sport...".

Who decided that you had to like "top control" for 5 minutes, or cage trapping someone for 2 rounds while kneeing them in the leg to be a true fan? I guess I don't get the MMA fans of today. They've gotten too high class for me.

I tend to think anyone that uses "If you're a true fan of the sport..." in their argument is an idiot. It is a weak and baseless argument and used by people who are not intelligent enough to come up with anything else.

You must be some kind of a fan, if you are watching fights to which you already know the outcome just for the entertainment of watching a fight.

I think a 'true' fan, as Aussie claims to be, would realize that Shields skills and abilities have led to some boring fights. A 'true' fan doesn't care what people think of the sport, or of certain fights. Maia, while his skills can be exciting, can also have boring fights. I'm going to record it so I can fast forward if I need to, as I'm worried that their wrestling/ground skills will cancel each other out and we'll see a stand up fight between two less than exciting strikers.

IMO you are over-analyzing the phrase.

but I can give you a different perspective.

People who train grappling can see fun in it. they appreciate the skill involved, and they watch it like a chess match.

The expression "if you are truly an MMA fan" is simply the way they try to convey that MMA in it's core is every facet of Martial arts, and instead of denying this part, you need to embrace it.
Obviously this is a purist view.

but they do have a point. If you do not watch the event because you do not want/like, then you obviously are not an unconditional fan.
You simply appreciate PARTS of it.

Again, I am not trying to argue with you.
IMO you should watch whatever you like. But I think it is just how the express such thing.

IMO you are over-analyzing the phrase.

but I can give you a different perspective.

People who train grappling can see fun in it. they appreciate the skill involved, and they watch it like a chess match.

The expression "if you are truly an MMA fan" is simply the way they try to convey that MMA in it's core is every facet of Martial arts, and instead of denying this part, you need to embrace it.
Obviously this is a purist view.

but they do have a point. If you do not watch the event because you do not want/like, then you obviously are not an unconditional fan.
You simply appreciate PARTS of it.

Again, I am not trying to argue with you.
IMO you should watch whatever you like. But I think it is just how the express such thing.

ts said he is a purple belt at a gracie barra academy... and trains routinely.

also they do not have a point. if what you pointed out is their point then it is a moot point. there would not be even 1 "unconditional fan" in all of the world. or do you know a "football fan" who likes to watch the footwork of football players while in the huddle? or better yet a mma fan whos excited to watch the wait time between nuts shots. lol

You can be a fan of football and still think jags vs browns is a shitty game. Sure you can appreciate the browns defense but come on...are you really excited for that game?

after the fact you can think any game or fight is boring. that is fine.

But he is saying I don't like a complete aspect of MMA. I don't like the 'Mixed' in MMA. What I like is SUMA or Stand Up Martial Arts, which is not MMA.

Edgar/Maynard was an awesome fight but before the fight even happened he can tell you it is not a fight he likes or is interested in. A true fan will be will be willing to judge the product AFTER he sees it. Too many, like him are determining it prior and based on how a fight ends.

take it further I have discussed with guys on this forum who will say they cannot find fights that end by decision exciting. They literally need to see how a fight ends to determine if it was exciting or not. So if you took a fight in the 4th round paused it and asked them if they enjoyed it, they would have to say "I am not sure yet, lets see how it ends". Which just makes no sense. A fight should be good or bad, exciting or not prior to its ending.

You should have just said, "yeah I'm not really a true fan" and left it that. Who cares, you weren't going to see him again and it really matters not either way

Back