"If you're a true fan of the sport..."

He was right, you were wrong. I think you owe the entire nation of Australia an apology.

If you cant appreciate the grappling, you're truly missing out on a huge part of MMA

Why don't you try K1?

I kind of agree with what the guy is saying, but I would have been more diplomatic in saying it.

There's a lot of nuance in MMA....not only from striking and grappling, but in the clinch, in transitions, etc etc etc. Stuff that elite coaches pick up on immediately and guys like you and me miss. Some people dislike two guys throwing haymakers with zero technique, others dislike a technical grappling match. To each their own, just please keep supporting the sport.

If they grapple it could get entertaining but if they try to stand it'll probably get bad.

Why does anyone care who is/is not a "true" fan anyway? It seems to me like plane guy just took an opportunity to let you know he's in a group that you're apparently not in (by his definition), but should for some reason want to be. Taking a nap was the best solution imo, unless you wanted a live action Sherdog-style flame war.

You can have your "real fan," I just watch fights. (for the record though, if it does get to the ground (I think it won't) I think it'll be really interesting)

When has Maia been boring? I remember when his boring style put Sonnen right to sleep and made Rick Story fire pure concentrated boredom out of his nose.

To anyone expecting a high level bjj match - No. It will be an incredibly sloppy and boring stand-up fight.

I am a fan of golf but I think that we should do away with putting. I mean driving the ball and the short game is where it's at. Putting is just too technical and whimsical for determining score.

That is my opinion and no amount of logical arguing is going to make me accept that putting is important to the game of golf.

/sarcasm

Wow this thread is a good example of how simplistic people can be. TS says he doesn't like two particular fighters' styles.

People assume this means he doesn't like grappling (despite the fact that he's a purple belt, has a 2003 join date, and says he finds some strikers and boxers boring too), and agree that he isn't a 'true fan'.

I think lots of sports fans are just idiots.

True fans train UFC and regularly post on Sherdog, TS you are a true fan in my eyes...

Due to the lack of a precognitive ability in my part, I'm not writing any fight off as a boring until it actually happens. Even Shields vs. Maia.

I wish I can see the future like some of you "MMA fans" so I can schedule my bathroom breaks during each card, I really do.

True fans train UFC and regularly post on Sherdog, TS you are a true fan in my eyes...

Yeah Gracie Barra JJ is 'UFC'. TS has less posts since 2003 than you do since 2009. Self-defeating sarcasm aside, I still don't get how people can say, with a straight face, that every fighter and every fight are equally exciting.

Not being able to see the future is not the same as not being able to discern patterns from the past...

Frankly I think most of this is a problem of reading skills.

Yeah Gracie Barra JJ is 'UFC'. TS has less posts since 2003 than you do since 2009. Self-defeating sarcasm aside, I still don't get how people can say, with a straight face, that every fighter and every fight are equally exciting.

Not being able to see the future is not the same as not being able to discern patterns from the past...

Frankly I think most of this is a problem of reading skills.

Have a sense of humor Klem, it's Sherdog and most of us don't take it too seriously...

You've been watching for over a decade. Have you ever questioned yourself whether you're a "true fan?".

I'm guessing you haven't, because it's bloody obvious you're a fan if you've been watching for that long.

There has always been a lot of elitism in MMA fans, but it mostly seems to happen to new fans who become slightly obsessed. They can't watch enough MMA, and they think anyone who doesn't have that level of dedication "isn't a proper fan".

Some fights are more anticipated than others. Thats how sport works. Most football fans get more excited over the superbowl than a mid season college game between two defensive teams.

We don't know how Maia vs Shields will play out..... it could end up being a classic like Randy vs Nog.... but it's extremely unlikely. Given their styles they'll probably either grapple extremely carefully (eg. Shields vs Mayhem), or they'll be afraid to engage at all in grappling and have a sloppy kickboxing match instead, like you often see when 2 high level grapplers meet.

Did u miss Maia vs fitch? Maia won't be scared to grapple, trust me.

10 years ago they allowed you to have more text, and even pictures in your sig. I think people began abusing it by putting NSFW stuff into their sig, so they stopped the pics thing and lowered the text amount. I so very rarely visit Sherdog now days that I didn't even notice the sig lengths had changed.

Oh btw, to be back on topic, I never said I hated watching grapplers, but there are some grapplers who tend to slow the action. You guys know the typical offenders.

as long as you watch and enjoy it, you are a true fan.
I personally don't like any fights where the one fighter is definitely point fighting

Have a sense of humor Klem, it's Sherdog and most of us don't take it too seriously...

I'll accept that- I sometimes overreact to some of the posts here. But if you actually look at the thread, people aren't showing a sense of humor, they are misreading and making incorrect assumptions.

It's the reason I rarely visit Sherdog anymore, unfortunately. If people actually want to discuss MMA, they are told to calm down or get a sense of humor. It's easier to be sarcastic (even if completely ignorant) than to actually have a discussion.

But that's fine- I think this place is now better for trolling and farting around. I accept that. Didn't mean to jump on your post.

Back