"If you're a true fan of the sport..."

That's all it was. If you don't enjoy certain match-ups while someone else does, it's not a problem. Not all people are the same.

Boom.

If you don't like someone's style, you don't like someone's style.

I can't stand to watch Shields in action, despite being a grappler myself. It has nothing to do with the martial art he's using, but how he applies it. In contrast, I love watching Carlos Condit do his work from the ground, because he's trying for submissions, sweeping, and striking from the bottom. He's active. He's, by my definition, exciting.

I could be salty, or a douche. Wouldn't be the first time.

I just take exception to "If you're a true fan of the sport...".

Who decided that you had to like "top control" for 5 minutes, or cage trapping someone for 2 rounds while kneeing them in the leg to be a true fan? I guess I don't get the MMA fans of today. They've gotten too high class for me.

I have been watching MMA since the early days and I liked when it was a fight not a contest , I agree with everything you wrote

You've been watching for over a decade. Have you ever questioned yourself whether you're a "true fan?".

I'm guessing you haven't, because it's bloody obvious you're a fan if you've been watching for that long.

There has always been a lot of elitism in MMA fans, but it mostly seems to happen to new fans who become slightly obsessed. They can't watch enough MMA, and they think anyone who doesn't have that level of dedication "isn't a proper fan".

Some fights are more anticipated than others. Thats how sport works. Most football fans get more excited over the superbowl than a mid season college game between two defensive teams.

We don't know how Maia vs Shields will play out..... it could end up being a classic like Randy vs Nog.... but it's extremely unlikely. Given their styles they'll probably either grapple extremely carefully (eg. Shields vs Mayhem), or they'll be afraid to engage at all in grappling and have a sloppy kickboxing match instead, like you often see when 2 high level grapplers meet.

Yeah good post this, and I agree about elitist MMA fans. The other one you often encounter is the "if you don't like the flyweights you're not a real fan" blah blah blah.

I'm excited for Shields v Maia personally, it could be a boring striking match like you say but I hope upon hope they hit the deck and try and attack, I do think it's unlikely though.

And TS not all Aussies are dickheads like the bloke you met, but if this happens again just make a joke about a dingo having his baby or something.

I agree about not likeing to watch fighters with boring styles but i think disagreement comes from how we define that. For me the difference betweenthe grappling style of say... Josh Koscheck (rarely advances position, limited significant gnp) and Damien Maia (constant agression) are astronomical. I would never presume to say anyone is "less of a fan" for any reason ( the whole premise is sophomoric) but perhaps i can suggest (with all due respect) that the subtleties of fighting in MMA are lost on you?

Cue the Kos GIF in 5...4...

LOL. Maia is boring? You can't be serious.

If you don't like 2 high level grapplers trying to submit each other you better go watch kickboxing, MT or boxing.

There is a difference between grappling and boring. for example Werdum vs. Nog 2=awesome fun fight with grappling.

Diaz vs. Condit= boring ass point fighter creating a boring fight.

I think you're not a true fan if you say things like "I've watched UFC my whole life" that means your an UFC fan not an MMA fan. And if you don't like any grappling fights even if they are exciting like Nog and werdum but like Mir vs. Crocop just because it's standup and had a knockout or you just don't know much about mma in general just some UFC fights then you're not a fan.

This is coming from a guy who thoroughly enjoyed Werdum vs. Reem I loved that fight. I still don't like flyweights though.

ts youre immaturity on several levels was exposed on that flight

I've never seen a boring fight in the UFC. I watched Shamrock vs Severn in super slo-mo... like 6 times.

Yeah, what kind of dick thanks you for something?

lol, that's what I was thinking, TS made himself look like an ass there if that is how he really reacted to someone being polite and friendly.

maybe i'm one of those snobs. I agree that you don't need to watch every fight with great interest, but these are two of the world's best fighters that are going to fight. you said you probably wouldn't watch the whole fight lol it's 15 minutes (max) and it is almost certain that they will never fight again.

I don't want to be an elitist asshole who questions others' interest in the sport, but I draw the line at "not watching the whole thing" for a fight between two perennial top 10 fighters.

In general, people fill unfulfilled in their lives because they have small penises, and will use any situation to foster a sense of elitism, to compensate for their small penises and the fact that they work a boring 9 to 5 jobs.

If you dont enjoy watching Floyd Mayweather you are a clueless noob who most likely cant throw a decent punch in real life.

In general, people fill unfulfilled in their lives because they have small penises, and will use any situation to foster a sense of elitism, to compensate for their small penises and the fact that they work a boring 9 to 5 jobs.

i have big penises

What mma is, is basically striking combined with grappling.

MMA is marketed to young kids and wwe fans very well. They make MMA the cool, new thing to get into. The problem is, plenty of people only actually like half of the sport and even that half only a certain % of time when fighters are at full energy and throwing caution to the wind.

Its not like an offensive, angry "youre not a fan!!!!". Its a "you just said that you dont like about 60% of the sport. Im not sure why you dont try watching sports that have already been created that have striking without grappling"...

Its like you said youre a hugeeee Morgan Freeman fan, except youve only seen 40% of his movies and stopped watching Shawshank redemption 25 minutes into the movie... You might think you are a big fan, but in actuality, you arent.

the neighbour was right. you aren't a fan of the sport.

Nobody can predict with certainty how a fight will play out. Nobody thought bermudez/grice woudl be FOTY material. Nobody thought rory/ellenberger would stink.

based on your description, you both kind of sound like douche bags heheh - but i agree with your comments that we like what we like

Back