If you want to know exactly how Edmond FAILED to teach Ronda defense, look inside.

She only need to know a couple tricks. A right hand lead into a clinch. A dipping jab to get in on their hips. Left hook into a non committal double to get the clinch. Learn how to cut the cage off, use that Bas Rutten right push kick when you've cut them off, throw hard punches and clinch. Lead with basic punches be first, then immediately clinch afterwards.

To that I would add a good hard snappy jab. Not the psuedo-corkscrew punch shit she usually pulls.

Feet positioning : far too spread, that's wrong boxing and wouldn't help grapplers trying to set takedowns, would make it more dificult, any level change wold be telegraphed.

Shoulder-To-Ear : Ronda doesn't get it. She forcers her head towards he shoulder when she punches, which is why she looks retarded shadowboxing. Edmond says "good good" all the time she does it. Ugh.

Twisting the wrist while extending her arm : he probably wants her to do the corkscrew technique. But she does it all wrong, instead of increasing speed or power, it does the opposite. Another thing she probably didn't get and he kept her doing it all wrong. Corkscrew punches have a lot of benefits when done correctly.

Too lead foot heavy, drags her back foot when she steps in. big no-no.

Great analysis. Can you let me know where she goes wrong with the corkscrew? Is this supposed to be like Fedor's casting punch?

The only instance I can find of Edmond chucking the mitts at Ronda's head is the open workout for UFC 190, which incidentally was the only time I've ever seen Ronda display anything resembling decent fundamental form. In the rest of the training vids and open workouts I can find he either doesn't throw at her at all or throws well over her head. I've literally spent an hour watching training vids and this is all I can find.

(vid is timestamped right before the duck under)

Or I can pull up a random Joanna vid and the trainer is throwing at her head, and she's doing entries, combos, head movement, and exits, she's not just standing there hitting pads.

Brilliant work by Joanna. And now she's with ATT. That is how a champion really trains.

her legs are spread af, terrible tecnique

Think she can make 125?
To that I would add a good hard snappy jab. Not the psuedo-corkscrew punch shit she usually pulls.
Not to out jab the opponent but to annoy them into committing to a counter. Then clinch!

Great analysis. Can you let me know where she goes wrong with the corkscrew? Is this supposed to be like Fedor's casting punch?
So, the corkscrew is basically, twisting your fist in, so your palm is facing the ground as the punch lands, bringing your arm with it, so your wrist, elbow and shoulder joints support your punch, possibly giving it more power and "snap".

The rotation may or may not increase your power, but it definately is makes your punch safer, since you'll not rely on wrist resistance and knuckles only, the whole arm comes into play, the punch is somewhat "harder" and protecting the wrists, also the rotation makes the arm+knuckles a bigger thing and in close distance that works well with punch exchanges, your shoulder, elbow AND knuckle form a good defense to protect you from counters.

Good built in defense is a necessity for good punchers, so corkscrew is common in boxing, not yet in MMA. as you mentioned the casting punch from fedor, which is basically the opposite of the corkscrew.

Now, Edmond and Ronda seem to get the CONCEPT of the corkscrew, but not the execution of it, the way she twists her punch makes it less safe and exposes her more, her shoulder HITS her head from how much torque she puts in it, instead of being one motion only, she breaks it in like 3 motions, in a way her wrist, elbow and shoulder instead of supporting each other, block each other and the power isn't flowing with the punch's rotation, is actually lessened by the motion.

By the time her corkscrew punch lands, she took away all power from wrist and elbow and the punch is almost only supported by her shoulders, carrying 0 power and basically absorbing the pads/mitts impact on her arm. If you do that to someone's head you may get serious joint injuries.

tumblr_ne2kvzBph61ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Edmond sends his left hook sailing over her head so she doesn't have to duck.

You're supposed to actually aim for the head so the student is forced to defend.

Edmind is basically letting Ronda flail away with poor form, without any correction.

There are many other video examples of his sh*tty padwork, even in the countdown videos for UFC 207.

Bonus points for those who can identify all the other glaring errors in this so-called "padwork."
I dont even train and this is painful to watch

Chin is stuck out (needs to do some tennis ball under the chin exercises)

Stance is way to wide and planted and she hops instead of stepping when she wants to move.

She did not throw a single Jab and the height ratio is wrong as well as Nunes is long and rangey.

Her hands don't come back up and her elbows are never tucked. (If I was coaching her she woulda copped shots from me to the body and head in response to those lapses.)

Her eye contact does not exsist she is starring at edmunds gut she needed to be looking up into his eyes and watching the shoulders.

There is more but really when it comes down to it Edmund failed to drill her in the basic fundamentals of boxing and when that happens you are going to fail when it matters most.

When running on instinct the fundamentals are what keep you going. Tucked chin, forhead projection to eat the straights and defensive Jabs to keep the aggressior at bay.

I hate Ronda but I hate Edmundo more fuck that guy.

Didnt read through every page so I apologize if it's been mentioned, but she also leaves her hands and arms away from her body and head when done with a combo. She punches like an amateur.

Feet positioning : far too spread, that's wrong boxing and wouldn't help grapplers trying to set takedowns, would make it more dificult, any level change wold be telegraphed.

Shoulder-To-Ear : Ronda doesn't get it. She forcers her head towards he shoulder when she punches, which is why she looks retarded shadowboxing. Edmond says "good good" all the time she does it. Ugh.

Twisting the wrist while extending her arm : he probably wants her to do the corkscrew technique. But she does it all wrong, instead of increasing speed or power, it does the opposite. Another thing she probably didn't get and he kept her doing it all wrong. Corkscrew punches have a lot of benefits when done correctly.

Too lead foot heavy, drags her back foot when she steps in. big no-no.

Would love to train and coach with you.

You're supposed to actually aim for the head so the student is forced to defend.

Edmind is basically letting Ronda flail away with poor form, without any correction.

There are many other video examples of his sh*tty padwork, even in the countdown videos for UFC 207.

Bonus points for those who can identify all the other glaring errors in this so-called "padwork."

You are supposed to aim for the head, without following... both are commen rookie mistakes you do not expect a noted trainer to be making.

wide awkward stance.

random foot pivoting

no movement

hands are low and aren't deending face.

body leaning forward.

also her combo is weird.. left body shot than the weakest left hook?

Ronda HAS to learn boxing or some other striking art. She can't just magically teleport into the clinch. She has to know what to do while on the way in.

Yes, she can, if her competition isn't very good. Perhaps, instead of blaming Edmond for the shocking news, people should re-evaluate ronda's career up to the Holly fight. Maybe she wasn't nearly as good as people thought.

Yes, she can, if her competition isn't very good. Perhaps, instead of blaming Edmond for the shocking news, people should re-evaluate ronda's career up to the Holly fight. Maybe she wasn't nearly as good as people thought.
That's a tricky thing, almost every footage of Ronda's striking has Edmond being an yes ma'am type of coach and not correcting her one bit, there's even situations she did horrible stuff, he stops the training and PRAISES THE SHIT OUT OF IT. Especially this left hook SHE NEVER LANDED in any fight. He hyped the shit out of it everytime she threw it in training.

Is clear that he does try to teach her properly, thing is, he doesn't take her style and grappling skill in consideration, wants to turn her into a stand up fighter, probably thought the WBW division wouldn't give Ronda trouble on feet (especially after she faceplanted Bethe). There's a shitload of things that Ronda does wrong that i guarantee you any, ANY other gym would fix as soon as she stepped in for training. Maybe she's a slow learner, maybe she doesn't accept being corrected. But he does keep her doing all those things wrong and saying "good good" for EVERYTHING she does.

I'd say is 60% Ronda's fault, 40% Edmond's.

Edit : Also, Somehow Browne lost all his best skills as soon as he started training with Edmond.

That's a tricky thing, almost every footage of Ronda's striking has Edmond being an yes ma'am type of coach and not correcting her one bit, there's even situations she did horrible stuff, he stops the training and PRAISES THE SHIT OUT OF IT. Especially this left hook SHE NEVER LANDED in any fight. He hyped the shit out of it everytime she threw it in training.

Is clear that he does try to teach her properly, thing is, he doesn't take her style and grappling skill in consideration, wants to turn her into a stand up fighter, probably thought the WBW division wouldn't give Ronda trouble on feet (especially after she faceplanted Bethe). There's a shitload of things that Ronda does wrong that i guarantee you any, ANY other gym would fix as soon as she stepped in for training. Maybe she's a slow learner, maybe she doesn't accept being corrected. But he does keep her doing all those things wrong and saying "good good" for EVERYTHING she does.

I'd say is 60% Ronda's fault, 40% Edmond's.

Edit : Also, Somehow Browne lost all his best skills as soon as he started training with Edmond.

Really reasonable post. I don't know, just speculating,ronda seems like a front runner - she has a very fragile psyche. I've had limited experience as a coach and limited experience in team sports, and limited experience as a teacher / mentor, I'm guessing 85% ronda 15% Edmond.

Keep in mind the $ millions involved for ronda and the UFC. Nunes and Holm were just better (and Cyborg would have been too.)

I'm still amazed that Joe Rogan claimed that this was great striking. What the fuck was wrong with him?
So you were saying her striking was shit during that time she was destroying?

Id always wanted her to fight a defensive counter fighter, one who wasnt willing to put themselves in rondas danger zones.

As far as her striking Id never seen enough to have an opinion of it as she was tearing the bw div a new one.

After holly though meh

This is a very legitimate point when you're coaching boxing. That's the first problem. The second bigger problem is that this isn't boxing we're talking about. Edmond isn't an MMA coach and not even a kickboxing or Muay Thai coach. Ronda shouldn't even be taught to bob her head because you never do that in a Muay Thai or MMA fight because you will get your head kneed to oblivion. I had a guy working me on the boxing mits and he would swing his hook so low on bobs that I ended up sitting on my butt and he still hit me in the scalp, but that's obviously overdoing it.

Ronda threw some pretty pathetic teeps in her fight against Nunes and Nunes walked through them and punched Ronda in the face. Ronda got kicked in the legs and she couldn't check them. Ronda has never thrown any round house kicks to the leg, body or head. Someone who doesn't come from a boxing background is not going to suddenly become a champion caliber boxer.
So boxing doesn't work in mma because Ronda can't do it? We just saw Cody and Cruz use a lot of boxing with head movement, ducking and weaving on the same card.

"Beaaaaaaaaautiful champ!"

She didn't even saw the hook.

Back