If you had to pick one exercise to train a young athlete

Chris Sky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you had to pick one exercise to train a young athlete, what would it be?

I would say sprints at a distance that they can cover in about 5 seconds or so

It builds overall explosiveness

Depends on age and sport, but it doesn't get more fundamental than running. I started taking my kids to the track from age 2 and encouraging them to complete one lap (quarter mile) for a sippy cup of gatorade. Starting out I had to hold their hand, run next to them and keep them focused because they kept wanting to sit down, pick up rocks next to the track or some other shit. Now it's our routine every time we go to the park - they play on the swings and slides and then we head to the track. My 6 year old son has to run 2 laps as fast as possible for gatorade and my 4 year old daughter has to run 1 (to increase to 2 when she's ready)

My son loves it and sometimes gets extra motivated and keeps running. Sometimes he gets cocky and trash talks his little sister while lapping her and she wants to rage quit. The most he's done is 7 laps. His fastest single lap is 1:50 but that's the first of 2 or more. My daughter has done 3:00 flat. I'm thinking of incorporating track sprints soon, maybe 1 lap as fast as possible. We've already been doing sprint training at home since they could walk - I chase them around the house and they're dodging chairs and climbing under tables while changing direction every few seconds. All this running has definitely upped my son's confidence in other sports. He's either the fastest or second fastest on the field in soccer and he has an endless gas tank in BJJ.

Last edited:
Push Up variations. Not near as much bang as a weighted compound but plenty of young kids can't hold their own body off the ground without arms shaking. (I'm thinking >10 years, not a teen)

Depends on age and sport, but it doesn't get more fundamental than running. I started taking my kids to the track from age 2 and encouraging them to complete one lap (quarter mile) for a sippy cup of gatorade. Starting out I had to hold their hand, run next to them and keep them focused because they kept wanting to sit down, pick up rocks next to the track or some other shit. Now it's our routine every time we go to the park - they play on the swings and slides and then we head to the track. My 6 year old son has to run 2 laps as fast as possible for gatorade and my 4 year old daughter has to run 1 (to increase to 2 when she's ready)

My son loves it and sometimes gets extra motivated and keeps running. Sometimes he gets cocky and trash talks his little sister while lapping her and she wants to rage quit. The most he's done is 7 laps. His fastest single lap is 1:50 but that's the first of 2 or more. My daughter has done 3:00 flat. I'm thinking of incorporating track sprints soon, maybe 1 lap as fast as possible. We've already been doing sprint training at home since they could walk - I chase them around the house and they're dodging chairs and climbing under tables while changing direction every few seconds. All this running has definitely upped my son's confidence in other sports. He's either the fastest or second fastest on the field in soccer and he has an endless gas tank in BJJ.

My son is 3 and a half and since he was born he knows I go out running. Sometimes he'll go in one of those trailers and I'll run with him (burley brand).
Last week I was going for a run and got up late so it turned in to a family affair, in so far as I ran with him holding my hand for I think .3 of a mile (.05 before he stopped for snack number 1) and the wife pulling the trailer until he had enough and got pulled for the other 5 or so miles.

A few weeks ago he ran from where we live along the coast in to town and wanted to run back. He must have run maybe 1.2-1.5 miles before the turn around then maybe 0.25 miles before he wanted a snack so got in the trailer. Never shown any interest in running before. Just decided his new trainers were running trainers and he was only going to run in them.

Push Up variations. Not near as much bang as a weighted compound but plenty of young kids can't hold their own body off the ground without arms shaking. (I'm thinking >10 years, not a teen)
Really?

While I shit all over him for having a terrible form (joking but not really), my 3.5 year old can do a few push ups from his toes. For some reason has been able to for a while now.

Also sit ups; but then again I got him doing some before he could really walk. If you want to get up you little shit, you won't roll around to do it. Not in my house.

Joking

A little

Most of them struggle after a few. Hips drop, knees hit ground, arms go to jello.
I used it when nieces / nephews aggravated me. Can't scream truth at them, can't give the ass whipping they need, but you can tell them to drop and give you 10-25.

My son is 3 and a half and since he was born he knows I go out running. Sometimes he'll go in one of those trailers and I'll run with him (burley brand).
Last week I was going for a run and got up late so it turned in to a family affair, in so far as I ran with him holding my hand for I think .3 of a mile (.05 before he stopped for snack number 1) and the wife pulling the trailer until he had enough and got pulled for the other 5 or so miles.

A few weeks ago he ran from where we live along the coast in to town and wanted to run back. He must have run maybe 1.2-1.5 miles before the turn around then maybe 0.25 miles before he wanted a snack so got in the trailer. Never shown any interest in running before. Just decided his new trainers were running trainers and he was only going to run in them.

Very cool. Young kids seem to pick up most habits (exercise and otherwise) by osmosis from their parents. I used to borrow one of those running stroller/pram things from our neighbor and went for runs with my son in it but after he was around 2, I was like you need to get your ass out of there and use your own two legs. I'm always encouraging my kids to try the sports I enjoy but I try to be careful not to force them against their will. Have seen athletes turn their kids away from their sport by forcing them and then the kid is like fuck that, I don't want to do dad's sport.

Most of them struggle after a few. Hips drop, knees hit ground, arms go to jello.
I used it when nieces / nephews aggravated me. Can't scream truth at them, can't give the ass whipping they need, but you can tell them to drop and give you 10-25.

Can confirm. Little kids suck at push ups. My 6 year old "won" his BJJ class push up contest a few weeks ago and his ass was all up in the air or sagging on the ground and he's the best in the class lol. He can probably do 2 or 3 with strict form but then he's at muscle failure. It looks like an untrained woman doing push ups for the first time, and these are in-shape kids who do "push ups" every week as part of warms up and are rolling full speed, going for takedowns, etc.

I still think running is the most practical exercise for little kids. That's going to carry over and give them confidence in a lot of other sports, impromptu races on the playground, etc. Then probably squats or deadlifts, building to full cleans and snatches. My son watches me lift weights in the basement and tries to copy me. Today he was trying dumbbell squats with a 5 pound plate in each hand and while he's easily strong enough, his form is terrible - rounding his back, leaning forward etc. I worked with him and tried to correct his form but I don't think he's ready for weight training yet. But when he is, I think a kid who runs regularly + squats and deads with light weight and good form is going to have a great athletic base.

Last edited:
Back