Social If you don't have health insurance and you get coronavirus

Nameless King

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How will they proceed with you?

I am not living in US so I don't know how that works.

I assume they isolate you, treat you and then slap you with the bill?

or

They can't isolate you because you have no insurance so they can't do anything

or

They isolate you but they won't treat you because you have no insurance

Which of these are true?

Really feeling like a proud Canadian rn

Lysol
maxresdefault.jpg

What if you have insurance and your deductible is $5000?

You will get a bill and probably go bankrupt.

If you need to be quarantined in intensive care it won't really matter if you have insurance as it is so expensive you will hit your plan’s out-of-pocket ceiling immediately and pay the full 20k+ a day in full from there on out.

If lots of people need to be quarantined in canada the health care system won't be able to handle it. They are putting patients in hallways and conference rooms as it is.

You will get a bill and probably go bankrupt.

If you need to be quarantined in intensive care it won't really matter if you have insurance as it is so expensive you will hit your plan’s out-of-pocket ceiling immediately and pay the full 20k+ a day in full from there on out.

Well, if thats true then this coronavirus looks like massive paycheck for American clinics.

This is a good question. I wonder if the fear of having to pay a lot of money is a barrier to getting treatment or reporting symptoms which would increase the spread of the virus

How will they proceed with you?

I am not living in US so I don't know how that works.

I assume they isolate you, treat you and then slap you with the bill?

or

They can't isolate you because you have no insurance so they can't do anything

or

They isolate you but they won't treat you because you have no insurance

Which of these are true?
They would isolate you, treat you, then slap you with the bill. I don’t think the treatment process would change, regardless of whether you have insurance. The bill would though.

The EMTALA federal law obligates emergency rooms to stabilise and treat patients regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay. The hospitals recoup a certain amount of the total cost for this care from the State and or Federal government.

Urgent Care facilities are not obligated by EMTALA and can turn patients away due to lack of insurance or ability to pay.

America is a shithole confirmed.

American Healthcare will take extremely good care of you and then send a deep 5 or 6 figure bill your way after the fact, then when you of course can't pay that, use it as justification to continue to raise their prices for the common things that do get paid so as to cover their uninsured losses

What if you have insurance and your deductible is $5000?

Mine was $7500. I blew my knee out in hockey and all I could think about was how much the acl surgery was going to cost me, not even at all worried about my leg that continued to buckle on me while I walked around waiting a week for the start of January so that at least it would hit the following years deductible all those costs and not be split up

Back