Auto insurance company in Cali retroactively cancels guy's insurance, after accident

National general is a sleazy insurance company. A girl crashed into my wife's car and she had that insurance. They were a nightmare to deal with.

Reminds me of that movie the rainmaker, where the insurance company just automatically denied all claims just to see if you'd fight them.

is this insurance company trying to cancel itself?

Wonder if the person who denied his claim and cancelled the insurance got a performance bonus

I’ve never been asked if I had kids when I got car insurance. Sounds like a loophole from insurance to screw customers over.

I opened a new policy this week and they asked me how many were living with me.

images

Your insurance company.

Always remember, if you have enough money, never get insurance.

You will always pay more than you get back over the course of a lifetime.

They are not your friends.

- Guy gets into an accident. He had insurance coverage
- When he informed the insurance company, they cancelled his insurance and refused to pay the damages, saying his insurance is cancelled. They cancelled it retroactively
- Ca law says it is legal
- Insurance company says he never said he had a son living in the same house so they have the right to cancel and deny coverage.
- Guy says son is not even driving age, can't drive, was not in the vehicle at time of accident.

---
San Diego man's car insurance retroactively canceled after he got in an accident

Preciado exchanged information with the other driver and reported the accident to his insurance. An adjuster then called for details about the crash and other information, asking if anybody else over the age of 14 lived with him, and he told them his daughter and son, neither of whom had a driver’s license at the time, were also residents of his home.

His insurance company, National General, later told him in a letter that, since Preciao had not named his son as an excluded driver, his policy was being rescinded, and, as a result, his claim was denied and his premium was refunded. The company did not respond to NBC 7's calls and emails about this case, citing customer privacy.

As a result, Preciado was on the hook for almost $5,000 in damages to the other vehicle.

“What does my son have to do with the accident?” Preciado asked over and over, also mentioning that “he wasn’t driving, he wasn’t with me at the time of the crash, he doesn’t drive at all since he has no license. So why name him?”

---

Some Insurance companies will pull all kinds of shit and find whatever excuse they can to deny coverage.

And we wonder why some people go postal.

I can only assume that it is one of those fly-by-night shit insurance companies where you have a $1,000+ deductible.

It was just a guess, but doing a little googling it looks like it's not that uncommon for insurance companies to want that information. I agree it's probably also there to act as one of many little gotchas that insurance companies can use to get out of paying claims. The entire insurance industry is a giant scam and I hate it.

Something we can all agree on.

Insurance companies of all ilk are the scummiest out there.

Nothing says America like: "Oh, you have cancer now? Nah, we aren't covering your treatment."

I believe it's illegal to drive without car insurance in nearly every state in murica.
Yes, you would have to get that.

I used to work for wealthy people and I learned that some of them don't even insure their houses, yachts, cars (they do carry liability against other cars per state law) etc.

They don't waste money on premiums and they save money overall doing this. If you have an extra Bentley or something that only gets driven for special events, they don't even bother to insure it unless it is going out on the road.

I found it interesting. Obviously I am not on this level, lol :)

Yes, you would have to get that.

I used to work for wealthy people and I learned that some of them don't even insure their houses, yachts, cars (they do carry liability against other cars per state law) etc.

They don't waste money on premiums and they save money overall doing this. If you have an extra Bentley or something that only gets driven for special events, they don't even bother to insure it unless it is going out on the road.

I found it interesting. Obviously I am not on this level, lol :)

That's exactly what I would do if I could. I don't know how many thousands of dollars I've spent on car insurance and I've never made a claim in my life. Home insurance as well. The entire thing is a scam. Especially if they can just drop your coverage if you didn't factually report something that has zero relevance to their insurance coverage.

Back