If Volk Beats Topuria - Would You Like to See Him Fight Evloev or Go Back to 155?

if Volk beats Topuria, he can do whatever the fuck he wants. everyone with half a brain and working balls knows that Volk taking a fight on short notice does not equate to some sort of legitimate title fight, in any universe or lame ass marvel multiverse. if Volk wins, I guarantee you he chases Islam to the far reaches of the Earth. a real competitor wants the win especially when they know they are capable. A proper fight camp, proper game plan, Volk keeps clawing away.

Hot take, he doesn't get past Evloev and Topuria. Also I don't think Aljo even gets passed Kattar and have no interest in that fight for Volk.

It's crazy but all the best FW talents coming up right now are not in the UFC. Salahdine Parnasse, Losene Keita, Islam Omarov, Timur Khizriev, Bibert Tumenov are all like 28 or younger and so damn good. The 145lb division has been stuck in the mud for years, UFC just doesn't go after the talent. But it's oddly some of the deepest talent wise in other promotions like Bellator, PFL, ACA, KSW always.

I don't think that's that hot of a take -- many people are doubting Volk right now. Personally, I think Evloev is one of the easiest fights in the division for volk. Stylistically, Topuria is the bigger threat to volk in my opinion.

FW is kind of wide open, so I can easily see a decorated former champ like sterling getting a title shot with only a win or two. Whether I think sterling will be able to pick up a couple of wins is another story.

Last edited:
I don't think that's that hot of a take -- many people are doubting Volk right now. Personally, I think Evloev is one of the easiest fights in the division for volk. Stylistically, Topuria is the bigger threat to volk in my opinion.

FW is kind of right open, so I can easily see a decorated former champ like sterling getting a title shot with only a win or two. Whether I think sterling will be able to pick up a couple of wins is another story.
Evloev is not finishing Volks and if it goes to decision it will be 100% Volks.

yes, stay at fw. yes, defenses matter. get as many as you can until you’re washed. evolve is next, so be it.

He shouldn't get another TS at LW without a couple of good wins.
He should defend against Evloev.
Getting 8-10 defenses at FW seems better than becoming a double champ.
He already has 5 defenses.

FW is kind of right open, so I can easily see a decorated former champ like sterling getting a title shot with only a win or two. Whether I think sterling will be able to pick up a couple of wins is another story.

Isnt Aljo gonna fight Kattar? I think hes gonna get rekt by Calvin lol

Sorry to say but his dreams of champ champ are finished.

Stay at FW. Ilia is probably his toughest fight. If he gets past him, its Aljo/Evloev. Both of those fights seem like good stylistic fights for him, not to mention they lack KO power.

Isnt Aljo gonna fight Kattar? I think hes gonna get rekt by Calvin lol

he is, and I think that fight will be very boring with an extremely tentative kattar trying to keep Aljo at the end of his jab, and Aljo spending large moments trying to land leg kicks at range in between spamming his takedown attempts.

Like I said, I don't know if sterling will pick up some wins, but If he does, I don't think he needs many to get a title shot.

I wasn't impressed by Evloev, but I would rather see Volk stay at FW until the cut is actually detrimental to him. If I were his management, I'd have him get to 10.
Topuria, Evloev, Sterling, Allen and that should be it for Volk at FW unless the UFC sign some of the international talent mentioned by @HuskySamoan

Usually I would be in favor of a guy racking up defences to build legacy. And I think Volk has hit the cliff and will lose to Topuria.

But if he wins, I think a win over a big name at LW is more important for Volk to finish his career. If he can take out decent LW comp, then he does a lot to erase the stain of the second Islam fight.

I don't see how a win over Evloev could possibly do more for his legacy than an established LW star like say Poirier, Gaethje, Charles if he could get one of those fights - (not that I actually would favor him to beat these guys).

The Forrest Griffin, Bonnar and Irvin smashings certainly added to Anderson Silva's legacy. Non-title wins up a weight class still help.

Evloev, definitely. He hasn't cleaned out this division yet, he is better than them all IMO but until he's fighting pointless rematches and there are legit tests coming through, stick around. He is never beating Islam.

Just defend until he loses or retires, whichever first.

Mark these words: if Volk starches Topuria in 1-2 rounds without damage, he’ll ask to fight at UFC300.

First Volk beats Topuria, Max beats Justin.

Then Max beats Islam for the title and we get Volk vs Max 12. Volk wins a close contested decision to become double champ, then we get Volk vs Max 13 at UFC 308: Groundhog Day

Mark these words: if Volk starches Topuria in 1-2 rounds without damage, he’ll ask to fight at UFC300.
That'd be baller as fuck. But I dont think there is a worth while FW that could make the Date. I imagine evloev will have ramadan, Leaving top options thin.

MAYBE Emmet. He's about the only guy in that range coming off a win.

there is no reason Volk should be going to 155. maybe for some fun fights but he's not getting that title while Islam is there. i dont think he'd last against most of the top 5 LWs. they're too powerful. i can see Gaethje or BSD cracking him and putting him out just like Islam did.

i think if he beats Topuria he should stay at FW because between Evloev, Allen, Emmett and other contenders Volk's got a real chance to beat the FW defense record. he should go for it; he's not getting any younger

If he isn't getting PPV points at LW he'd be better off with a FW title defense. The winner of Charles/Arman will be ahead of him in line for a LW title shot and if Gaethje wins his fight in what might be the headliner of UFC 300 then he will too.

This is true.

As a fan I think there are more fan/fun fights at 155, but he is Champ at 145 and that's where the money is going to be for him.

If the champ somehow loses his next defense? Well that opens a lot of doors...... If he loses in a WAR, he has a long reign and a rematch ($$) would be what the UFC would want. If he is dominated (unlikely) than maybe going up and letting him eat at 155 is the thing.

Might as well run through anyone else they can come up with for him at FW and retire. I don't see what he has to prove at LW and is likely getting toward the end of his window from an age standpoint. Solidify the legacy and go out on top.

Back