If Volk Beats Topuria - Would You Like to See Him Fight Evloev or Go Back to 155?

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
If Volkanovski beats Topuria on Saturday he will have successfully defended his UFC title 6 times, still not as many as the FW GOAT Jose Aldo, who has 9 if you include the WEC. Still, a win edged Volk closer to that status. If he bests Topuria then it could potentially be smooth sailing at 145 for his next defense, as Evloev might have the strongest case after a close and somewhat underwhelming win over Allen. The real question is, if Volk beats Topuria, should he return to 155 and wait for a definitive top contender to emerge or should he immediately try for defense number seven against Evloev?

If he isn't getting PPV points at LW he'd be better off with a FW title defense. The winner of Charles/Arman will be ahead of him in line for a LW title shot and if Gaethje wins his fight in what might be the headliner of UFC 300 then he will too.

Topuria, Evloev, Allen (he will be back and will get a TS eventually), and then 155.

Right now, it will be Arman/Charles winner, Gaethje, Dustin if he beats BSD.

If he wants to move to 155, he will have to win at least 2 fights against top comp.

You don’t need to match defenses to pass someone on an all time list

but if I was his manager I’d say stay at featherweight, beat the easy matchup of Evloev, then see whose next. If Islam is still the champ which he probably will be they won’t give him a free shot. Maybe fight someone like fiziev, small guy for the division with bad cardio. If not, fight Allen or something, which will be very tough

He should stay at 145 and defend his belt.
If Islam loses I think he could try 155 again, against Charles,Arman or Gaethje.
(I'm not saying those 3 could beat islam, but they're the next ones in line)

Edit: If somehow max beats Gaethje and Islam, Volk vs Max IV at LW would be something crazy

He loses to all the top LWs in my opinion.

He should stay at 145 and defend his belt.
If Islam loses I think he could try 155 again, against Charles,Arman or Gaethje.
(I'm not saying those 3 could beat islam, but they're the next ones in line)

Edit: If somehow max beats Gaethje and Islam, Volk vs Max IV at LW would be something crazy
Damn, I didn't even think of that last one. I think even if Max just beats Gaethje, it would be an excellent bout and actually have meaning in the division since one or both of them would be staying at LW (Max getting a TS with Ws over Justin and Volk, or Volk being 1 or 2 away from a TS after beating the man who beat Gaethje).

He'll have nothing left to prove and it would be best to just give up the belt and move up. They'll be plenty of 155lb guys who will push him like no at one 145 could.

That said, I think his reign is over. Topuria is gonna dethrone him in brutal fashion (2nd/3rd round KO).

i'd like him to beat evolvev before someone else does. fw is really thin with max and volk beating everyone. he has the gobble up the free contenders whenever they are around.

he is near gsp status here where gsp would defend against a dan hardy just to get a fight

Evloev, then Sterling if Sterling manages to get a win or two.

Basically I'd rather him just destroy featherweight, but if they can't keep up with his activity level, them I'm not against a random fight against a LW contender mixed in there.

Hot take, he doesn't get past Evloev and Topuria. Also I don't think Aljo even gets passed Kattar and have no interest in that fight for Volk.

It's crazy but all the best FW talents coming up right now are not in the UFC. Salahdine Parnasse, Losene Keita, Islam Omarov, Timur Khizriev, Bibert Tumenov are all like 28 or younger and so damn good. The 145lb division has been stuck in the mud for years, UFC just doesn't go after the talent. But it's oddly some of the deepest talent wise in other promotions like Bellator, PFL, ACA, KSW always.

I would rather see Volk fight several 155ers over any 145ers that are left after tipouria.

I'd like to see him continue to defend the FW belt as long as there are contenders and he's still capable, while taking any big opportunities at 155 or whatever that might come up. But it would be cool to see him try to take the FW GOAT title from Aldo.

Imo no more 155 unless there are just no worthy contenders at 145. One win over Topuria would not be enough to deserve another shot at Islam, he'd have to fight Movsar too at minimum. And I'd rather see him fight Arnold Allen too - no more Ultimate Rematch Championship

Imo Volk-Islam 2 slammed the door on the rivalry, I mean it totally had asterisks about the short notice and all, but that's why Volk shouldn't have done it. We should've had Islam-Gamrot instead

Back